Let's play Good News / Bad News

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

MaryAlice

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bad news: I'm officially classified as a "senior". Good news: local grocery has designated special time daily for seniors only to shop. Obviously a few perks to "getting old".

Lin19687

Reaction score
Bad news: I'm officially classified as a "senior". Good news: local grocery has designated special time daily for seniors only to shop. Obviously a few perks to "getting old".
When my Mum turned 63 and moved to AZ she turned from sad to 'getting old' to Thrilled. Turns out that AZ had a ton of perks to being over 63 that she found out ;)
Age is just a number, ask my sister how annoying it is to Always tell me "when are you going to grow out of your Peter Pan phase hahahahha Never !

MGM

Reaction score
Bad news: had a FO accelerate on me bigtime yesterday: it instantly filled the bell of my SB and hardened in there! (Stay tuned for rebatching experience and photos....)
Good news: today I got my first online grocery delivery: $420 worth! That was a whole of of merchandise to wash, so I cleaned up my soap kitchen and used the soap in the bell of the SB to fill my sink with sudz.

ShirleyHailstock

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a major acceleration too. I thought I'd written this, but I didn't see it. Maybe I wasn't signed in. Anyway, the recipe was one I got from Anne-Marie. It involved palm oil which I'd never used before. The solution started to trace the moment, I blended the oils and lye-water. I hadn't even added the fragrance. I quickly added the fragrance and color, but it kept solidifying. I put it in the mold and set it in the oven. The result was a disaster. It took forever to get the soap out of my SB. I wanted to try again last night, but I'd used the last of my lye and going out with this virus in the air is only something I do if necessary. I put the needed components in my shopping cart and I'll order them today. Still, they are not scheduled to arrive until April 8th.

Lin19687

Reaction score
Good News: I can still ride a bicycle after 30 years :)

Bad News: I thought i could just whip up the road 1/2 mile to see the Air Force Base no issue---- WRONG ! my legs are killing me lol

Bad news x2: 1/2 way there the Winds kicked up to 20mph coming INTO me, and then it started to hail Lentil size bits. Did I say the wind was coming at my face? :(

hahahahhaa

AliOop

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Good news: a friend came over Monday (my office was closed for a long Easter weekend) to learn how to make soap. She has a chemistry degree and is a pharmacist, so it was really fun to say a few words about what we were doing, and sometimes not even have to finish my sentence. I mean, how often do you start to explain the issues with lye, and the person responds, "Oh yeah, makes sense because lye is hygroscopic." :lol: Plus, she has experience blending EOs and came up with a wonderful blend that I wouldn't have considered. My cure room smells fantastic!

Bad news: she wanted a lavender soap, so we used a fairly high ratio of my alkanet-infused OO in her batch. After 3 days, the soap is still 100% tan, with no signs whatsoever of any pink, lavender, purple, etc.

Good news: Oh well, it smells really lovely, and the scraps are already lathering well. Plus, she can't wait to come over on Saturday to soap with me again while I work on a yellow hot process soap challenge for another group.

PieBorg

Reaction score
Good news: I found a ball of soap I made 20 years ago that I had repurposed for a different craft. Now I remember that after seeing something about a lady spinning yarn and making beautiful sweaters from her dogs' fur, I thought I'd try spinning my cats' fur, so I used the soap ball as a weight on the spindle. The spinning was a no-go, but surprisingly, the soap still lathers great after two decades. However, it looks about like you would imagine -- not exactly the prettiest little thing, lol!

Bad news: I've given up trying to salvage a disastrous batch of soap. This was a recipe I've made about eleventyzillion times, but after switching for a while to CP, I've apparently lost any knack I ever had for making HP. (Reminds me of when I switched from Texas Hold 'Em to Omaha and then back to Texas Hold 'Em. Couldn't play poker worth a crap for a while.) Anyway, this soap is being relegated to confetti status now. I'm tired of messing with it.

ShirleyHailstock

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a major acceleration too. I thought I'd written this, but I didn't see it. Maybe I wasn't signed in. Anyway, the recipe was one I got from Anne-Marie. It involved palm oil which I'd never used before. The solution started to trace the moment, I blended the oils and lye-water. I hadn't even added the fragrance. I quickly added the fragrance and color, but it kept solidifying. I put it in the mold and set it in the oven. The result was a disaster. It took forever to get the soap out of my SB. I wanted to try again last night, but I'd used the last of my lye and going out with this virus in the air is only something I do if necessary. I put the needed components in my shopping cart and I'll order them today. Still, they are not scheduled to arrive until April 8th.
The tried the failed soap I made back in March. It lathers better than any of the other soaps I've made. I don't know what happened to make it accelerate so fast. It has white speckles in it. I'm not sure if that is unused lye. Anyway, I plan to rebatch it. PINK SOAP_FAILED_11A.jpgPINK SOAP_FAILED_LATHER_3A.jpg

shunt2011

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The tried the failed soap I made back in March. It lathers better than any of the other soaps I've made. I don't know what happened to make it accelerate so fast. It has white speckles in it. I'm not sure if that is unused lye. Anyway, I plan to rebatch it. View attachment 46043View attachment 46044
if you think it's lye have you zap tested it? If it's go loose lye you won't want to rebatch it either. the lye won't dissolve.

ShirleyHailstock

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you think it's lye have you zap tested it? If it's go loose lye you won't want to rebatch it either. The lye won't dissolve.
I didn't do a zap test, but I will. I thought that was for HP soap. I do CP. It didn't burn my skin when I used it.

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
The tried the failed soap I made back in March. It lathers better than any of the other soaps I've made. I don't know what happened to make it accelerate so fast. It has white speckles in it. I'm not sure if that is unused lye. Anyway, I plan to rebatch it. View attachment 46043View attachment 46044
Have you zap tested the soap? If it passes the zap test, it should be fine.

The flecks are more likely stearic spots. Not knowing the actual recipe, and your temperatures, I can only venture a guess as to why it accelerated so fast. But here are some likely possibilities:

Temperature of oils and lye solution affect trace ( see this link )
If you used a stick blender too vigorously ( see this link )

And excellent video:

About white spots in soap:

Incidentally I cannot see the white spots in your picture, (my eyes or the smallness of the photo are probably the reason), but I also do not see anything that looks like lye pockets.

PS: Zap test if for any lye soap. I caution you to be careful with the zap test. Follow these instructions: How To Properly/Safely Conduct The Zap/Tongue Test

ShirleyHailstock

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you zap tested the soap? If it passes the zap test, it should be fine.

The flecks are more likely stearic spots. Not knowing the actual recipe, and your temperatures, I can only venture a guess as to why it accelerated so fast. But here are some likely possibilities:

Temperature of oils and lye solution affect trace ( see this link )
If you used a stick blender too vigorously ( see this link )

And excellent video:

About white spots in soap:

Incidentally I cannot see the white spots in your picture, (my eyes or the smallness of the photo are probably the reason), but I also do not see anything that looks like lye pockets.

PS: Zap test if for any lye soap. I caution you to be careful with the zap test. Follow these instructions: How To Properly/Safely Conduct The Zap/Tongue Test
Thank you for the comments. I read them before I started the soap project. I didn't SB too long because the moment I added the lye-water, it started to trace.

PINK SOAP_FAILED_RECIPE_13.jpgThis was the recipe. I got it from Anne Marie and I added the lye-water to the oils at 110 degrees.

Misschief

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bad news - now that my husband has a new Mac, he hates using my computer because it's SO slow. I'm not sure if that's bad news or good news. It IS slow but not really that bad.

Good news - because my laptop is 8 years old and so slow (according to him), he suggested I go look at computers. I found one. It's a refurbished laptop from a very reputable local computer shop and it's where I got the last one. DH told me to get it so I now have a new laptop.

Bad news - new laptop = reinstalling everything I want to install on the new one and delete it from the old one = Time suck!

Good news - new laptop!

Bad news - my head aches!

:lol:

Latest posts