Lemon Squeeze Castile (Ancient History)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier
Reaction score
I thought it might be fun to share a bit of Ancient History. I co-hosted a soap swap 15 years ago -- "Ancient History" given the short time that online home-based soap makers have been at this wonderful hobby and business. At that time, it only cost $11 USD to ship 9 bars of soap overseas! I had the USA/CANADA participants. My co-host in France had the overseas participants.

INTERNATIONAL 100% OLIVE OIL SOAP SWAP, HCS, JANUARY 2005
9 Participants from the USA, Canada, France, The Netherlands and South Africa

SWAP RULES:
Identical soaps are to be made from 100% olive oil (grade of choice).
5 % superfat.
Method can be cold process, hot process, discounted water, rebatching or any mix of these.
Any additives can be used in terms of colors, fragrance oils, essential oils, exfoliating powders (of vegetable or mineral form), clays or any other ingredient with interesting properties in soaps.

To compare each participant's entry, See Participant Chart - PDF attached. NOTE: “Weight” is bar weight, not batch weight.
Here's my entry, with my comments.

1603300924318.png

LEMON SQUEEZE CASTILE - 100% OLIVE OIL @ 5% SUPERFAT

This is a Plain Jane soap with a clean smell and smooth texture. Made CP. No added fragrance. Naturally colored with lemon juice and beta-carotene. Just as your mother told you to date so-and-so because they have a “nice personality”, I’m hoping this soap will win you over with its hidden qualities.

Date Made: November 15, 2004
Temperatures: 110°F
Trace: 15 minutes with stick blender.
Unmold: 24 hours.
Cut: 24 hours
Cure: 3 + months

ADDITIVES: (Coming up with something different that nobody else would think of was an interesting challenge!)
1) Borax and Real Lemon Juice Concentrate (citric acid) were chosen to lower pH. (I need a pH meter to accurately test it.)
2) Lemon juice (vitamin C), vitamin E and beta-carotene (vitamin A) were chosen for their skin-nourishing, antioxidant properties and account for the color of the soap.
3) ROE (Rosemary Oleoresin Extract) infused 1:2 in jojoba oil (a liquid wax) - penetrant, antioxidant, moisturizer. Also to neutralize olive oil smell.
4) Corn Starch - for smooth texture, gentle exfoliation, to add bulk and hopefully retain fragrance.

Ah, those were the days! :nodding:

Attachments

• OO Participant Chart.pdf
    79.9 KB · Views: 14
It was! So many creative soapers in that group! Corb & Corb's Man were dating when she joined the forum. Her man starting soaping and posting as well. Eventually they got married. Her ripple soap was unique for that time with a layered brown & white ribbon stripe. My favorite was the Canadian Pixel Dust's Maple Syrup, Maple Sap and Buttermilk Powder. The best smelling was Rat xxx's Patchouli, Petitgrain & Ylang Ylang EO Blend 2.5% ppo. The scent lasted forever.

Latest posts

Back