Deep Cleansing Oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also tried it last night... I am getting up there in years so my skin is on the dry side these days. I was surprised by the oiliness of the product when I pumped a small dollop into my hand and applying to my face took a little effort. (Please I'm not criticizing!) Water took it right away and left my face feeling smooth and soft and replenished. I might try wetting my hands beforehand tonight and see how it goes.

I was surprised by the oiliness of the product when I pumped a small dollop into my hand and applying to my face took a little effort. (Please I'm not criticizing!)
Please. No worries! I'm one who appreciates "honest feedback".
Thank You.gif

Water took it right away and left my face feeling smooth and soft and replenished. I might try wetting my hands beforehand tonight and see how it goes.
Ha! Do that! Sooooo tempting, isn't it? As mentioned in an earlier post, adding water to the product is not a good idea because it then moves like gooey cement. LOL But I'd really appreciate hearing how that works for you.

I made something similar for myself and my daughter. She loves it and her skin tolerates it very well (she's 11 but has started to get small pimples, such as what I got at that age as well, this seems to keep it quite clear for her). I can only use it occasionally, mostly when I wear makeup (which is only once every few months). I have no problems with it around my eyes. I'm actually whipping up a batch for a work colleague who would like to try it for her skin.

I whipped up a 1/4 amount sample batch and tried it out on my face last night to remove my long-wear foundation (I made the version that contains equal parts of FCO and olive oil), and it worked amazingly well!

I gently massaged it onto my (dry) face with (dry) hands and then applied a little water (which got some sudsing action going on), then rinsed off by splashing my face with lukewarm water instead of doing my usual rubbing/dabbing off with a wet cloth. My face looked perfectly clear of all foundation after rinsing/splashing and felt moist without feeling oily, but just to make sure there was no leftover foundation residue hanging on, I gently rubbed a warm/damp white wash cloth all over my face- and lo and behold- no residue! Color me impressed! Thank you, Zany! :) Now I have 2 gentle facial cleansers in my make-up removal arsenal (the other being the shave soap I make for my hubby).

Curiously, when I applied the small amount of water to my hands (which caused it to lather up), it felt rather sludgy on my forehead, but not so much to the rest of my face. In response, I just applied a little more of the oil cleanser to my forehead and it smoothed right on out. I wondered if the forehead sludginess may have had something to do with the hair spray I used earlier in the day on my bangs (some of which transferred to my forehead).

IrishLass :)

Please. No worries! I'm one who appreciates "honest feedback". View attachment 29655

Ha! Do that! Sooooo tempting, isn't it? As mentioned in an earlier post, adding water to the product is not a good idea because it then moves like gooey cement. LOL But I'd really appreciate hearing how that works for you.

Wetting my hands worked really well but I think tonight I'll wet my face as well.

Wetting my hands worked really well but I think tonight I'll wet my face as well.
Whoa! Really? How 'bout that! I haven't tried that since I first started making this probably 10 years ago or so, and it really didn't move at all, like gooey cement setting up. I'll try it tonight, just to see.

ETA UPDATE: So I did my usual... I pumped a dollop (about a tablespoon worth) in one palm, put my hands together to get some on both, then blotted my cheeks, forehead and chin before massaging the cleanser all over my face. Only this time, I wet my hands and face first. Just as I suspected it would, it became gooey and it took a little budging to get it moving.

So I said "Hunh! I wonder if maybe SFL used less?" So I wet my hands again, only this time I just put a couple of drops between my palms. Lo and behold, I was able to slip around my face easily!

Mystery solved... I think... Soaper For Life: Whatcha think?

Last edited:
An update on the sludginess: I've been using this wonderful cleanser for 3 days now and have noticed that the past 2 times I've washed with it that after massaging it all around on my face dry, and then wetting my hands and continuing to massage, it gets sludgy all over (not just my forehead these last 2 times), but when I pause and re-wet my hands a second time and continue on massaging, it suddenly frees things up and my hands are able to glide smoothly all around my face without hindrance.

My face is really liking this cleanser. Thanks again, Zany. :) I'm going to make some for my niece to try. She has been going through a battle trying to find a facial cleanser that plays nice with her skin.

I got my poly 80 today and made a batch with 15 ml of F coconut and 45 ml of almond since thats all I really had. Seems to work well, it emulsified and was easy to rinse off but it left my skin terribly dry and tight.

I almost wish it would have left a little oil behind, wonder if I should add in a little olive and if so, how much? I'm sure it will work great when I wear heavy makeup but there is no way I can use this daily.

Last edited:
I got my poly 80 today and made a batch with 15 ml of F coconut and 45 ml of almond since thats all I really had. Seems to work well, it emulsified and was easy to rinse off but it left my skin terribly dry and tight.

I almost wish it would have left a little oil behind, wonder if I should add in a little olive and if so, how much? I'm sure it will work great when I wear heavy makeup but there is no way I can use this daily.

Obsidian- try it with less PS80 in the mix (or add more oil to it). It will still clean well, but it will feel much less drying. I made up 2 small batches earlier today with varying amounts of the PS80 just to experiment to see how emollient I could make it feel, but without it losing its ability to clean all my make-up off in one go, and I had very good cleansing, yet emollient results. I decided to do that because I noticed that it made my face feel dry and tight when I used it in the shower yesterday. Normally I have been using it at the sink to wash my make-up off before going to bed, and then applying moisturizer immediately upon gently patting off the excess moisture with a dry cloth, but yesterday in the shower there was a stretch of about 10 minutes between washing my face with it to the time I got out of the shower and was able to put my facial moisturizer on, and my face was feeling pretty darn thirsty by that time.

Anyway, back to my experimental batches: In one batch I reduced Zany's amount down to 50% PS80 as per oils, and in another, I used only 10% PS80 as per oils. Feeling somewhat radical, I decided to try the one with only 10% first to wash off the make-up I naughtily/lazily slept in last night (I know, I know). Anyway, it cleaned 99.5% of my make-up off in one go as compared to 100% in one go with the amount of PS80 in Zany's formula (needed just one more very brief go at the edges), but it left my face feeling quite pleasantly quenched instead of partched.

I'm going to try out the 50% tonight before bed. I'll let you know how it goes.

I used the 50% last night before going to bed, which cleaned my face 100% in one go, and then waited until I could feel my face beginning to a little feel dry/tight before putting any moisturizer on, which was about 3 minutes or so. I think I might try making a small batch today with 12% PS80 to see how it cleans in one go. I have an inkling that might end up being my 'sweet spot', but we'll have to see. I'll let you know how it goes.

So far, no matter what the % of PS80, I really love how well this stuff cleans away my make-up and rinses off without the need to apply any friction at all from a cloth, but I'm loving even more how well (and easily) it takes to being adjusted to suit the likes of my face! Thanks again, Zany!

I made something similar for myself and my daughter. She loves it and her skin tolerates it very well (she's 11 but has started to get small pimples, such as what I got at that age as well, this seems to keep it quite clear for her). I can only use it occasionally, mostly when I wear makeup (which is only once every few months). I have no problems with it around my eyes. I'm actually whipping up a batch for a work colleague who would like to try it for her skin.

Thank you amd, I may need to try this product for my 12 yrs old daughter for her pimples. I need to order polysorbate 80.

Well I only use Noxzema, but I was thinking of making something for my granddaughter for make-up removal. The trouble is, at 16, she tends to wear a lot of eye make-up and I want to find something that would be safe and not require flushing the eyes with water, etc. She sometimes uses make-up removal wipes, but also gets loads of make-up all over the wash cloth every time she removes her make-up, too.

Zany, do you have anything in your arsenal that would fit the bill for a teen-ager with acne who wears loads of make-up? If not, she can of course, continue using whatever she now uses. It's just a thought and not an urgent need.

I added more oil to my mix, better but still not perfect. I'll keep fiddling wit it until I get it perfect. @earlene I use this on my eyes and it didn't burn or require any flushing. I often use cold cream and while it works really well, its very greasy and always gets into my eyes and leaves a reside that I just have to wait to wear away.

I added more oil to my mix, better but still not perfect. I'll keep fiddling wit it until I get it perfect. .

Dagnabit, I screwed up yesterday when I made my calculations. The 10% PS80 batch I made yesterday is actually a 5% PS80 batch (don't know where my head was at), but at least I now know how well this stuff can clean with only 5% PS80! I'm impressed!

Instead of making a 12% batch today, I made a 10% batch, which I'm about to try out here in a few minutes.

@earlene- I use the oil cleanser on my eyes also to remove my eye make-up, and like with Obsidian, it doesn't burn me or require any flushing.

This sounds interesting. I tried the oil cleansing method for a while and it was nice but took way too much time for my liking. This sounds like it could work as a faster alternative to that. Thank you! =)

Just wondering what the advantage of using a polysorbate when you can buy water soluble olive oil, which would serve the same purpose for rinsability? (I know that's not a word, but you know what I mean!)

Back