Deep Cleansing Oil

Discussion in 'Bath and Body Forum' started by Zany_in_CO, Mar 30, 2018.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Mar 30, 2018 #1

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier

ZANY’S ALL NATURAL DEEP CLEANSING OIL & MAKEUP REMOVER
    A gentle, non-soap facial cleanser for all skin.

Label ingredients: Polyoxyethylene sorbitan monooleate, caprylic/capric triglyceride, olea europaea (olive) fruit oil and T-50 tocopherols.

You will be amazed at how this formula removes dirt, excess oil, makeup — even waterproof mascara -- easily. This water-soluble formula rinses completely, leaving your face feeling clean and soft to the touch, with no oily residue. Olive oil and vitamin E add emollience to combat dryness and also help to extend shelf life. Because there is no water in this formula, no preservative is required.

NOTE: Measure by VOLUME, not weight.

OPTION 1
    4 parts /2 fl. oz /60 ml Polysorbate 80 (surfactant/emulsifier)
    3 parts /1.5 fl. oz /45 ml Fractionated Coconut Oil (non-greasy)
    1 part /0.5 fl. oz /15 ml Olive Oil (emollient)
    1 capsule /1 ml T-50 Vitamin E (emollient/antioxidant)
    4 fl. oz. /120 ml TOTAL

OPTION 2 (more olive oil)
    4 parts /2 fl. oz /60 ml Polysorbate 80 (surfactant/emulsifier)
    2 parts /1 fl. oz /30 ml Fractionated Coconut Oil (non-greasy)
    2 parts /m1 fl. oz / 30 ml Olive Oil (emollient)
    1 capsule /1 ml T-50 Vitamin E (antioxidant)
    4 fl. oz. /120 ml TOTAL

Add FCO to Polysorbate 80. Stir to blend. Warm olive oil to 100° and add vitamin E. Stir well. Add all together and stir until blended. If mix is cloudy, or separates after sitting, add more Poly-80. Feel free to adjust the ratio of olive oil and FCO to your preference. Just be sure to keep the Poly-80 equal to the total amount of OO + FCO.

HOW TO USE: Apply with DRY hands to a DRY face in a circular motion to dissolve dirt and makeup. Pay special attention to eyelashes. This formula will not sting eyes, but it will take a little extra effort to gently remove all traces of mascara. Then rinse away with warm water. Rinses clean, leaving the skin soft and moist with no oily residue.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  2. Mar 30, 2018 #2

Obsidian

Obsidian

Obsidian

Thanks for sharing, that sounds really nice. Is this a liquid or cream? I've not used poly80 so I don't know what consistency it is.

3. Mar 30, 2018 #3

dibbles

dibbles

dibbles

Supporting Member Supporting Member

Polysorbate is a liquid, so this would be serum like. Sounds interesting, thanks for sharing Zany! Even at my age my skin tends to be oily. But it is also easily irritated resulting in a lot of redness. I'll give this a try, but will probably sub something a bit lighter for the olive oil.

4. Mar 30, 2018 #4

madison

madison

madison

Thank you for sharing, Zany.

Zany_in_CO likes this.
  5. Mar 30, 2018 #5

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier

Liquid. This is a DHC product that I duped years ago (when it was only $12!). You can see what it looks like here:
    https://tinyurl.com/y773eyz5
    Shouldn't be a problem. Just be sure to keep the balance between the 1 part PS 80 and 1 part oil or oils. Keep in mind that olive oil is a good cleanser all by its lonesome. Some oils require a little more PS 80. Once mixed, I wait until the next day to see if the oil is fully incorporated. If not, I add a teaspoon more of the Poly 80 until it's completely incorporated. BTW, no heat required. :thumbup:
    You're very welcome, Madison.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
    GeezLouise, dibbles and Obsidian like this.
  6. Mar 31, 2018 #6

redhead1226

redhead1226

redhead1226

Supporting Member

I switched to cleansing oils a while ago and love them. I also make a moisturizer ( liquid) with oils as well but use exotic oils in that recipe as I need them to absorb better. I think my skin looks great since Ive been using them. I dont think Ill ever go back to soap for my face of any kind even though the suggestion of the shave soap for your face on another post I found interesting. Thanks for sharing,

Zany_in_CO likes this.
  7. Apr 1, 2018 #7

Millie

Millie

Millie

I looove deep cleansing oil. Thanks for sharing your version, I will definitely try it!

Zany_in_CO likes this.
  8. Apr 1, 2018 #8

SoaperForLife

SoaperForLife

SoaperForLife

Supporting Member

Thanks for sharing Zany! How do you package this?

Zany_in_CO likes this.
  9. Apr 1, 2018 #9

Dahila

Dahila

Dahila

actually you do not need poly in this formula. What poly brings to it Zany? Maybe there is something I do not see

madison likes this.
  10. Apr 1, 2018 #10

madison

madison

madison

I remember reading that polysorbates make cleansers work better, but I don't know what it functions here.

Zany_in_CO likes this.
  11. Apr 1, 2018 #11

MySoapyHeart

MySoapyHeart

MySoapyHeart

Bee Happy

Thanks for sharing this, Zany:)

I actually have all the ingredients so wat to try this as a switch up to the saltbar I use normally (although I do love my saltbar on my face, totally rescued my skin) But this is just to intriguing to not try!:thumbup:

The whole point of this mixture (oils + Polysorbate) is that you get a water-soluble mixture. If you leave out the polysorbate it won`t be soluble in water, and it will not rinse clean from your face and leave a oily film behing. Great if that is something we want.

But with the poly`, however, you will get the benefits of the gentle cleansing of the oils to remove makeup/ a general face cleaner, without the oily residue afterwards. Best of two worlds :D

For some of us (me, for one) this oily residue will not play nice with my skin and I have to use a cleanser to get the oily residue off afterwards, which makes the point of using oil to remove makeup/dirt a moot point.

GeezLouise, IrishLass, Millie and 3 others like this.
  12. Apr 1, 2018 #12

redhead1226

redhead1226

redhead1226

Supporting Member

How does the Poly80 mix with these oils due to insolubility? Or does it sit on top and have to be shaken?

13. Apr 1, 2018 #13

Nao

Nao

Nao

Is PS80 really safe for the eyes? I know you said it won’t sting, but I’m assuming no stinging doesn’t always equal safe?

14. Apr 1, 2018 #14

Dahila

Dahila

Dahila

Polysorbate is an emulsifier, but I do not see benefits of that in oil cleansing
    This is why I asked,

Zany_in_CO likes this.
  15. Apr 1, 2018 #15

MySoapyHeart

MySoapyHeart

MySoapyHeart

Bee Happy

Polysorbate is not just an emulsifier but also functions as a dispersant, a stabilizer and a surfactant.

I took the time to answer your question, Dahlia, did you happen to see it yet? You`ll see the reason behind why adding polysorbate actually serves a purpose in this mix, as supposed to not including it. I guess I don`t quite get a grasp on why you still insist it doesn`t serve a purpose, when it most clearly does, and the planned outcome of this mix can not be obtained without the polysorbate? :)

Ps. Polysorbate is considered to be mild, and added to babywashes, creams, lotions, food etc. It serves a purpose in many situations, including this one. But it is of course a personal choice as to decide if you want to use such things. But, if anyone is after mixing oil and water, or disperse oily substanses in watery formulas, or stabilize a mixture containing water and fragrance/essential oil etc, then polysorbate is the thing you need to be able obtain desired results.

GeezLouise and Zany_in_CO like this.
  16. Apr 2, 2018 #16

Dahila

Dahila

Dahila

No I had not seen your answer Soapheart, thanks, it makes sense :)

Zany_in_CO likes this.
  17. Apr 2, 2018 #17

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier

You are all very welcome. ENJOY!

See the link in post #5 for a pic of the product. That's what I use. :)

Thank you, MSH, for that excellent response and the one that follows. Well said. :thumbup:

It doesn't need shaking. PS 80 dissolves oil at a rate of 1:1, altho some oils may need a bit more. Let it sit over night. If there's a bit of separation on top the next day, add a little more PS 80 and stir until it disappears. As always, keep good notes. :cool:

Best to not get any in your eyes! ;) If you do get some in your eyes, flushing with warm water until cleared should take care of it.

18. Apr 2, 2018 #18

dibbles

dibbles

dibbles

Supporting Member Supporting Member

So, I've tried this. I did sub the olive oil for kukui nut oil. My face tends to get oily, but will feel dry if I use a cleanser that isn't extremely gentle. It is also easily irritated and gets quite red. The redness will go away, but it takes awhile. So, I have been trying to find something that will leave my skin feeling clean, not dried out and not red. I used this oil cleanser last night, and it did a good job of removing my make up, my skin felt clean but not dry, but there was still quite a lot of redness. I used it this morning in the shower. Same result. So I like it! I will try changing up the oils and see if I can find something that works for the redness part.

I would have never thought of using Polysorbate - so thanks Cee, for sharing this!

Clarice, SoaperForLife and Zany_in_CO like this.
  19. Apr 3, 2018 #19

Misschief

Misschief

Misschief

Supporting Member

I tried it, too, but unlike Dibbles, my skin is quite dry and, like Dibbles, gets quite red (Dr thinks I have mild rosacea). I used the cleanser yesterday morning and there was redness but it went away quickly and my skin felt great! I think this will be a great product to alternate with my salt bars. Thanks Zany!

SoaperForLife, Zany_in_CO and dibbles like this.
  20. Apr 3, 2018 #20

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier

You're so very welcome, ladies. :)