Quantcast

Layers separating in my melt and pour soap

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

soap12

Reaction score
I have been making soap for about a year and have enjoyed every minute of it. I am still learning and I have been having problems with my layered soaps. The layers in the soap tend to separate while I am cutting the soap :-x I am using an organic base which is 100% all vegetable. I prefer to use this base because it is pretty straight forward does not contain SLS or Titanium Dioxide. Also I do not feel good about using products with animal fat in them.

I followed some tutorials online and read an article which mentioned to spray each layer with alcohol before pouring the next. Also the tutorials explained how I should not wait too long before pouring the next layer. I think I am following the steps, but not sure what I am doing wrong. Any suggestions will be appreciated, thank you.

lsg

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
My thought is maybe you are waiting too long before adding the new layer. Give the layers a good old spray with 99% Isopropyl alcohol before pouring the next layer.

soap12

Reaction score
My thought is maybe you are waiting too long before adding the new layer. Give the layers a good old spray with 99% Isopropyl alcohol before pouring the next layer.
Hi, Thanks for the feedback. I have been doing exactly that. How much time should I wait before pouring the next layer? Maybe I am off with the timing?

llineb

Reaction score
Yes...you just need a thick skin and then spray the entire surface until it looks wet with alcohol. If you wait too long they will separate when cutting.

soap12

Reaction score
Yes...you just need a thick skin and then spray the entire surface until it looks wet with alcohol. If you wait too long they will separate when cutting.
Thanks everyone, I thought I was following the correct instructions, I will try again. Thank you so much.