Layers separating in my melt and pour soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soap12

Reaction score
I have been making soap for about a year and have enjoyed every minute of it. I am still learning and I have been having problems with my layered soaps. The layers in the soap tend to separate while I am cutting the soap :-x I am using an organic base which is 100% all vegetable. I prefer to use this base because it is pretty straight forward does not contain SLS or Titanium Dioxide. Also I do not feel good about using products with animal fat in them.

I followed some tutorials online and read an article which mentioned to spray each layer with alcohol before pouring the next. Also the tutorials explained how I should not wait too long before pouring the next layer. I think I am following the steps, but not sure what I am doing wrong. Any suggestions will be appreciated, thank you.

My thought is maybe you are waiting too long before adding the new layer. Give the layers a good old spray with 99% Isopropyl alcohol before pouring the next layer.

My thought is maybe you are waiting too long before adding the new layer. Give the layers a good old spray with 99% Isopropyl alcohol before pouring the next layer.

Hi, Thanks for the feedback. I have been doing exactly that. How much time should I wait before pouring the next layer? Maybe I am off with the timing?

Yes...you just need a thick skin and then spray the entire surface until it looks wet with alcohol. If you wait too long they will separate when cutting.

Yes...you just need a thick skin and then spray the entire surface until it looks wet with alcohol. If you wait too long they will separate when cutting.

Thanks everyone, I thought I was following the correct instructions, I will try again. Thank you so much.

Back