Laughable Rebatch

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eargirly

Reaction score
So, I decided to attempt a rebatch whipping it as (I think it is) Lindy has been speaking of. Grated the soap, crockpotted what seemed all day long, got the Kitchenaid mixer ready with whipping attachment, got my colors ready, scent at hand. Ready.....set......WHIP!

Whipped half and colored with melon red, scented with a fantastic pineapple/apricot/citrus blend, whipped a bit longer and turned off the mixer. What next? Lift the mixer head out of the batch. Nothing. It was STUCK!! And when i say stuck, I mean I tried for about five minutes to lift the head out of the batch of soap. Wouldn't budge. I couldn't believe a soap would seize so hard that my Kitchenaid would get stuck. I panicked. Called my husband in there to help me. Big bad Rocky comes in and, being a chef, knew just what to do. He reached around back and unlocked the mixer. LOLOL What a nooooooob!

So, I got that in the mold and took the other half out to color orange and do another layer. Repeated above steps.....and yes, I forgot again and for a brief second thought......WHAT!!:?!?!! Thanks goodness it was only for a brief second that time ;) No Rocky needed.....

All in all, I think it is going to be another rebatch disaster. I never get it right, it seems. Will try to post pics when I unmold and cut. Just thought y'all would get a kick out of my mixer silliness!

~ear

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ohh, that sounds just like something I would do! I have whipped a rebatch a la Lindy (a very new batch which overheated badly and leaked lye :shock: ) and it was like...."oh, look at the pretty creamy soap...lovely...help it's setting RIGHT NOW!!!" :lol:

I called in my daughter to help and we squished it into the mould, sort of like fluffy playdough, and I am very happy with the result. I guess the key is to whip it only a little, cause I definitely didn't have time to play!

Tanya :)

U2

Quote.Big bad Rocky comes in and, being a chef, knew just what to do. He reached around back and unlocked the mixer. LOLOL What a nooooooob! quote.
That is sooh me sooh often. I am not alone in the world after all.
Photos?
:wink:

I am worried about the rebatch now. All day and all night sitting in the mold and it is still very soft. Soft enough that I could put my finger down into it if i wanted to. Too much liquid when I put in the crock pot? Ugh....I am most likely the most unsuccessful rebatcher ever. Any suggestions on this one? Perhaps if I unmold and cut it gently it could harden faster? Or will it ever harden if it hasn't at this point? Maybe I should just call it a wash and toss it. :cry:

Oh - I am so sorry you had trouble. I've had rebatch that I added too much liquid to. It is going to take a while to firm up. So there are a couple of options. One is to take the whole batch out and put in a pot for the oven. Put the pot in the oven at 170 - 200 F and allow it to sit for most of the day, stirring occassionally. This will allow the extra fluid to cook off which will give you a harder soap. The other option is to take it out of the mold as soon as it is firm enough to handle and cut it so you can get maximum air movement around the soap to assist it to harden.

Me (I'm an instant gratification type) - I would do the oven trick which is why I know about it.... :roll:

Cheers
Lindy

Well, I went ahead and cut it....what could it hurt? It doesn't look so bad. Fairly smooth, some white speckles though, better then my previous rebatch attempts in the smoothness department. Still very soft though.

I can never get photos to work in the thread here, so here is a link to the picasa album.

http://picasaweb.google.com/eargirly/RebatchScrewup#

The layers look pretty good, but check out the last pic. They fall apart LOL!

Lesson learned....Rebatches can't be layered?

I can totally see the layers. I love the colours. I was going to attempt a rebatch but ended up grinding my screwed up batch up for laundy soap. Too chicken to try rebatch.

Back