Lard

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dianaabuela1

Reaction score
Did anyone knows that the Lard from Costco can be used in CP SOAP?
It's said Lard soft and creamy

Attachments

• BAF0DBC2-F37C-4D92-A498-0E033EFFB940.jpeg
    BAF0DBC2-F37C-4D92-A498-0E033EFFB940.jpeg
    272.6 KB · Views: 59
That says refined Lard on the label. I’m not so sure about that. My Lard is Armour Brand and it just says Lard, not refined lard.
What's wrong with refined? As a matter of fact that brand posted (BHT only) has less additives than Armour (BHT, propyl gellate and citric acid).

Sorry wrong pic

It says vegetable shortening. It's not lard. Lard would say lard or Manteca. I've never seen lard at COSTCO. I check when I go. The one you finally posted is Lard but not from Costco.

All lard is refined I believe. Doesn't matter though. As long as it's lard it works. I've purchased many different kinds.

In what way is it refined? What (impurity) is taken out of it and using what method(s)? I render lard at home and wonder about the difference.

In what way is it refined? What (impurity) is taken out of it and using what method(s)? I render lard at home and wonder about the difference.
They probably filter out bits/chunks that are not fat. I'm sure in large rendering plants more than just the fat is tossed in.

Manteca is spanish for fat. I know Armour says manteca on it but it can be any fat not just pig fat. I was just talking to my friend from Costa Rica the other day about it.

It says vegetable shortening. It's not lard. Lard would say lard or Manteca. I've never seen lard at COSTCO. I check when I go. The one you finally posted is Lard but not from Costco.

All lard is refined I believe. Doesn't matter though. As long as it's lard it works. I've purchased many different kinds.

50lb boxes of lard is actually sold at some Costco Business Center stores. A member from California recently bought it at one near her. I looked it up hoping I could find one near me and it’s not offered at any local to me unfortunately. I do remember her saying she didn’t like it as much as other lard that she has used before but she needed some so she bought it. Costco sells different things regionally.

I suspect the difference between one supplier's "lard" and another supplier's "refined lard" is just the name. All fat as it comes off the pig has to be rendered into lard. That's a refining process.

It's kind of like one person's just plain ol' soap is another person's "natural" soap. Same recipe, but one person will buy the one with "natural" on the label, because, well, it's natural. ;)

Manteca is a word that has a variable meaning. Around where I live in the upper Midwest US, if I see a container labeled manteca, it means lard, rendered pig fat. But we've talked about this before, and other people say that's not always true.

In some areas, the word "manteca" alone means any solid type of shortening -- vegetable shortening, tallow, lard, or any combination of these fats. You have to read the rest of the name -- manteca vegetal is veg shortening -- or read the ingredients list.

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/unknown-palm-oil-and-bovine-tallow-in-shortening.70849/https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/lard-for-sensitive-skin-soaps.71366/

Back