Lard/Tallow Combo Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought it was lard for creamier and tallow for bubbles? I don't want to render tallow, so I finally ordered some a month or so ago to play with. I haven't had time yet, so I can't speak from experience.

That's part why I want to recreate this recipe. I want to be absolutely sure I didn't mix the soap up and I want that soap tested without some of the additives I used initially. It's also been almost 4 years since I made these recipes so memory will be hazy, especially with my brain.

Edit- I should add that no coconut oil was used in those soaps, though coconut milk was utilized. I want to change that.

Last edited:
Finally got a chance to make this soap! :)

Unfortunately, I learned what happens when you add sugars to hot process after the cook when it's still too hot. :oops: I watched my very nice light colored batter go very quickly to carmel color.

But, guessing I will remember not to do that again! :)

Even with the color change, it already lathers really really well. I can see now why people LOVE lard soaps. This is my new favorite! Not sure I can actually stand to wait the 4 to 6 weeks needed for cure.;)

By the way, what should the temp be down to before adding sugars and/or milks? 140 or less? Or is that still too hot?

This is what I ended up making:
upload_2020-1-31_20-48-10.png

Have you had a chance to try this now that it's cured for a month?
Thanks for asking! Yes, I've just tried it and I still love it! I can't believe it's already been a month!

I've changed things up a bit. Didn't really make too much sense to use the canola and the rbo so just using whatever I have the most of at the time. I try to keep the lard and tallow the same percentages but it depends on what I have on hand and what the butcher has available when I need it.

I've been keeping the castor at 7 and thinking of bumping it to 8.

Now that I've gotten the CA/vinegar thing figured out I can add the aloe back in. It's amazing how much time it takes to really get the process down and get a nice recipe going. Lots of experimenting. :)

Milk soaps, unless color is not a factor, should probably be left to cold process. Milk would start to scald close to 140F and anything higher would lead to the sugars in the milk starting to caramelize. As for sugar, make a simple syrup with your choice of sugar and distilled water and add it to your liquid. You can also add the syrup at trace. Since you run the risk of acceleration, try to soap as cool as you can.

Milk soaps, unless color is not a factor, should probably be left to cold process. Milk would start to scald close to 140F and anything higher would lead to the sugars in the milk starting to caramelize. As for sugar, make a simple syrup with your choice of sugar and distilled water and add it to your liquid. You can also add the syrup at trace. Since you run the risk of acceleration, try to soap as cool as you can.
Yeah, I figured out the milk thing and now only use coconut milk added at or below 150 and it seems to be ok so far. I mix it with a little aloe and a tbs of sugar.
The hardest part about doing HP is waiting for the cool down after it cooks ... but I'm learning patience. :)

Latest posts

Back