Lard in Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Totally off topic, but how does it work for you? I love cranberry, but the maximum use of this FO is 1%. Does it come through/stick?

OMG! :Kitten Love: I totally didn't notice the usage rates. I wish they'd put that right in the testing results, as that's what I usually read first.
I feel like a dolt. Good thing it was for personal use, and I only made one batch.

It certainly came through fine at a "normal" usage rate...

Feeling like a noob. Always check your usage rates guys. ;-)

Sorry for hijacking your thread OP

Thanks :) I really do think I am gel impaired. I've used a basic recipe and technique as another soaper friend, and can't get my soap to gel (mold placed in box after pour, and box covered with a few towels), but hers does. Even soaping warm :roll:
Put some honey or sugar in the light trace - 1 tbs / pound of oils.
In case that you use honey the color of the soap will be brown.

Put some honey or sugar in the light trace - 1 tbs / pound of oils.
In case that you use honey the color of the soap will be brown.

it has been my experience that to add honey or sugar at trace does not dissolve or incorporate very well...I add 1-2 tsps. sugar (ppo) into my water & stir til completely dissolved before adding the lye...never scorched, discolored or misbehaved.

lard recipe

I'm using lard very often. My favorite recipe: 47 % lard, 47% coconut oil, 6 % castor oil
dissolve 10% sugar and 2% salt in lye, after blending lye and oils add 10% soy cream

DOS occured in very few of my soaps containing lard, but also in lard free soaps. No rules here, so far

OMG! :Kitten Love: I totally didn't notice the usage rates. I wish they'd put that right in the testing results, as that's what I usually read first.
I feel like a dolt. Good thing it was for personal use, and I only made one batch.

It certainly came through fine at a "normal" usage rate...

Feeling like a noob. Always check your usage rates guys. ;-)

Sorry for hijacking your thread OP

I missed your reply. Sorry to hear that, I hope it still works out for you!

Perhaps you should try vegetable shortening instead of lard? Crisco.

It would keep your soaps vegan, and the soaps last a lot longer - and don't end up with a grease smell eventually.

I have alot of soaps both all vegetable based, and with animal oils. . . I have seen DOS in both, and have some of each that are well over 2 years old that have not gotten DOS. . .

So it really does not matter if soaps are made with animal oils or not, DOS can be evident to either. . .

The only formula I have made that did not get Dos was one with animal oil, however I Did add vitamin E to the batch.

I do believe that how soaps are stored, really has a big part in the developement of DOS. . . . All the soaps I made in the winter & spring, were stored in a room that had no air vents (no heat, no a/c) All were fine. The same thing when I made soaps near summer - where the temp in this room would reach about 90. . . still no Dos. . .

It wasnt until I moved my production & storage to another place, where the humidity nearly destroyed 1/2 of my stock. It was months of having it covered (stacked separately) with cotton sheets that it finally dryed out enough that I could label & shrink wrap it.

I have read that there is no real determination as to what actually causes DOS. . . . but as I said... I do believe it really has to do with storage. . . as well as how hot you soap. . . I have soaped too hot on 2 batches, which traced rather quickly, and both developed DOS. . . LOL that was when I was a newbie. . . I learned my lesson--- I soap alot cooler now!

Bright Blessings!
Angel:wave:

Latest posts

Back