landscape soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I poured the salt bar. I let it harden about an hour and cut it while in the mold. I poured the water. I cpoped and let it sit overnight til hard. I poured the mountains and sun (sun into an embed mold). Hardened. Poured the sky half way, cpoped it 8 minutes to harden enough to support the sun, then poured the remaining sky.
Here is my link to see the steps in pictures with explanation.
http://amberwavesofsoap.blogspot.com/2015/03/landscape-soap-great-cakes-soapworks.html?m=1

Edit to say I also scored the water with a fork and wet it with hot damp paper towels to adhere the mountains better. I then warmed and wet without scoring to adhere the sky.

Last edited:
I poured the salt bar. I let it harden about an hour and cut it while in the mold. I poured the water. I cpoped and let it sit overnight til hard. I poured the mountains and sun (sun into an embed mold). Hardened. Poured the sky half way, cpoped it 8 minutes to harden enough to support the sun, then poured the remaining sky.
Here is my link to see the steps in pictures with explanation.
http://amberwavesofsoap.blogspot.com/2015/03/landscape-soap-great-cakes-soapworks.html?m=1

Edit to say I also scored the water with a fork and wet it with hot damp paper towels to adhere the mountains better. I then warmed and wet without scoring to adhere the sky.

Wow, thanks for explaining that. I think that's the most 'artisan' artisan soap process I've ever heard of.

Thank you! To be brutally honest I had a hard time with the cuts. My first soap turned out rough around the salt, and the second needed fine knife shaving repeatedly to get it looking smooth. I've tried a half salt half regular soap again in a slab mold, and it turned out okay but the edges crumbled some. I then tried it in a loaf twice again, and it still crumbles. These last two loaf attempts I tried 1 pouring all and cutting at the same time (it was too soft in the center and was a mess!), and 2 I tried pulling the salt out to cut, which crumbled the edges, and placed it back into the mold.

It's so hard timing it, I think the best way to do it is cut it while warm and almost set but not quite while leaving it in the mold, then pouring the top layer. It's easier to clean that way on final cuts. After my multiple repeat attempts I'm actually surprised I was able to get it to look nice on my final contest submission!

Thx again :)

Lionprincess, I'm in absolute awe of your talent! How did this not place much much higher? After seeing this, I can safely say I'm nowhere near being part of a contest, unless they give out boobie prizes...do they? :)

And for the record, what's the point of showcasing and flaunting a work of art if you don't take the time to explain it to others. I mean, selling them I understand, "here's my awesome mystical soap you can buy and I'll never give the secret to".....but to flaunt about for all, expect and be prepared to explain...at least that's how I decided I want to be as a soaper. If I'm going to show off here or on the blog, I'll tell you what I did for the most part, and as clearly as I can. Maybe I'm still new and naive, but oh well...so be it.

I'm with you there lion princess. I'm the same, but maybe I'm just too naive. I have a tendency to be like that and my husband always tells me off for being to open and honest about everything. That's the way I am and will always be though.

Back