Lambs fat

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azimuth

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used lamb fat for soap making? If so, how did your soap turn out? I was hearing it stays pretty smelly even after hardening in the mold and curing.

I did that years and years ago and used fat from around the lambs kidneys and it definately stinks when you render it and I would never do it again,(phew) I don't remember that it left a smell in the soap though.

sheep tallow

I am just soaping about 3 kg of sheep tallow. It depends on how much you use.

One recipe I make with 50% sheep tallow, does smell a little. Its not really a sheepsmell but its not neutral, I use chocolade, vanilla or other warm FOs to cover it. Works fine.

Today I used about 12 % and there is no smell at all in the final soap. With this recipe I make my "floral basket" hp soaps. Rose, Lavender, Jasmine.....

Sheep tallow is a very nice fat to soap with. Actually my favorite among animal fats. It makes a creamy, good lathering soap.

Happy New Year

Sheep tallow is a very nice fat to soap with. Actually my favorite among animal fats. It makes a creamy, good lathering soap.

Very interesting comment.

Does anybody else have any experience with sheep tallow?

I've been wishing to make some sheep tallow soap, but I could only find the already rendered at 2 places. One was ebay and it was either $25 or $35 per pound. And then this place:

http://www.grasslandbeef.com/Detail.bok?no=719

I understand it is supposed to be really good for skin, but at these prices, and not knowing if anything special remains after making soap with it, I haven't tried it.

I would guess, like any tallow or lard, a good EO or blend, or a good FO or blend, would take care of any remaining aroma.

I use lamb kidney fat a lot and love it. We raise,sheep so it's easy to get. No smell in my soap. I usually use around 40percent.
If you have a local butcher I'd try asking them if they can order some for you. It's not that bad to render yourself and does make a really nice bar of soap, I love our baaaath soap. But not great enough to pay the prices stated above!

Back