Just tried my Castile..wow!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saltydog

Reaction score
If I were wearing socks in the shower, they would have blown off!

I've never tried it before, but I've read some people love and some people hate 100% OO soap. Well, I am definitely on the LOVE side! Holy cow, I couldn't believe how creamy, bubbly and gentle it is. I left it unscented.

I just looked at my soaping notebook, I made it on August 4th, so I can't even imagine how good it's going to be by Christmas time :)
My MIL already texted me to say it's the best soap she's ever used!

I want to make another batch soon, since it takes so long to cure. I think I'm going to put oats in it this time.
Ok, this was just a happy rant interruption, resume your soapy talk... :wink:

WOW ... thanks for your post! I have soap made from 100% virgin OO that's four months old and 100% OO that's over three months old ... and I've been wanting to try it ... but I'm been trying to be patient and wait till they're at least five months old!

Guess what I'm going to try in my shower tomorrow morning?

Castille with oats ... that sounds divine!

saltydog said:
If I were wearing socks in the shower, they would have blown off!

I've never tried it before, but I've read some people love and some people hate 100% OO soap. Well, I am definitely on the LOVE side! Holy cow, I couldn't believe how creamy, bubbly and gentle it is. I left it unscented.

I just looked at my soaping notebook, I made it on August 4th, so I can't even imagine how good it's going to be by Christmas time :)
My MIL already texted me to say it's the best soap she's ever used!

I want to make another batch soon, since it takes so long to cure. I think I'm going to put oats in it this time.
Ok, this was just a happy rant interruption, resume your soapy talk... :wink:

welcome to the Club!
8)

Me too I love to use Olive oil as main ingredient, or the only ingredient, of making soaps and I love it.
By the way I'm italian and olive oil is part of our culture...
:)

Cheers!

Dragonkaz said:
Guess what I'm going to try in my shower tomorrow morning?

I wish I were as patient as you, you're going to love it!! Lemme know what you think, ok?

Welcome, mostho!
My hubby is 100% Italian, I'm half- lots of mixed breeds here, lol :lol:

I have used 100% OO soaps and love them! I also use OO in almost all of the soaps I make I haven't made a 100% OO yet due to the long cure process. What percent super fat did you use?

vjbakke said:
I have used 100% OO soaps and love them! I also use OO in almost all of the soaps I make I haven't made a 100% OO yet due to the long cure process. What percent super fat did you use?

I always use OO in my soaps too, but I never did one 100%, because of all the conflicting opinions. I didn't want to waste all that OO if I didn't like it, ya know? I used a 5% SF, but I think I'm going to experiment with a 7% for my next batch.

I usually go for 6% as a general use hands/body/face.
7-8% specifical for face/shaving/shampooing
5% for hands/body scrubs

Lots of glycerin here.

Doesn't it get jelly-soft after 1 week of continuous use ? This is what happened to a couple of bars I got from a friend.

Fragola said:
Doesn't it get jelly-soft after 1 week of continuous use ? This is what happened to a couple of bars I got from a friend.

I think it depends how much time was cured. It need minimum 6 weeks for Olive oil and 8 weeks for eextravirgin olive oil. The more you let it alone, the better it is. But after 4weeks is usable. I do it but... don't seems to become so jelly.

Fragola said:

I've got a bar in the shower at the moment and it's not soft at all. It was a batch that I HP'd and no slime/snot factor either. :wink:

Congratulations Saltydog on making a soap that you love so much. :D

I absolutely LOVE 100% OO bars too, but I HATE the slimy feel they get - so when I use one I have to take it completely out of the shower so it can completely dry inbetween uses, otherwise I do get that slimy jelly feeling others have described.

My very first batch of soap I ever made was an OO soap with a few ounces of Shea at trace.
I still have just a few bars left because I've been hoarding them (yes, 7 year old soap and it's still just as lovely today as it was 7 years ago!! LOL)

jcandleattic said:
I absolutely LOVE 100% OO bars too, but I HATE the slimy feel they get - so when I use one I have to take it completely out of the shower so it can completely dry inbetween uses, otherwise I do get that slimy jelly feeling others have described.

My very first batch of soap I ever made was an OO soap with a few ounces of Shea at trace.
I still have just a few bars left because I've been hoarding them (yes, 7 year old soap and it's still just as lovely today as it was 7 years ago!! LOL)

I think if you have the luck to have 7 y old OO soaps you have something like a priced good old aged wine. it's the same for soaps, they go better as they get older...exspecially for OO soaps!

you made me wish mine was ready... 3 weeks to go!!! gonna make another batch tonight!

mostho said:
I think if you have the luck to have 7 y old OO soaps you have something like a priced good old aged wine. it's the same for soaps, they go better as they get older...exspecially for OO soaps!

This particular soap, yes I have been lucky with - especially with it being the first batch I had ever made - and then I've had some batches that have gone bad or rancid, or just plain "unusable" (meaning ugly and the scent faded out and left the soap smelling like nothing) in as little as a few weeks to months.
So yes, I've been hoarding these. They are ugly as hell as well, but such a nice soap, and I love looking at them compared to soaps I make now just to see how far I've come in my soaping... :)

jcandleattic said:
mostho said:
So yes, I've been hoarding these. They are ugly as hell as well, but such a nice soap, and I love looking at them compared to soaps I make now just to see how far I've come in my soaping... :)

yeah
8)

Yuck! Castille. ;-)
I have some that i made 2 years ago. Still snail slime... but i do live with tap water that's more liquid rock than water. No more Castille for me. Not even soap that has less than 25% coconut oil!

Wow ... it did feel good this morning! I'm so impressed!!!

I'll have to wait till tomorrow ... or maybe the weekend to comment on the possible 'slime' feeling, but for one day I'm super impressed!

I love soaps with interesting FO's and colours that shine and look mysterious when wet ... but I'm sure there'll be a market for my VOO and OO soaps ... Yah!

I love to make EVOO soaps, but I don't like to use them soooo much. They're a little boring without the lather from CO or Castor. I always try to make EVOO soaps with some CO but it's hard because we're so used to Aleppo soaps that whenever I add other oils to my batch, I try to use at least 50% OO. Otherwise, I feel like it's not 'good' OO soap.
Does that make sense?

Bubbles Galore said:
Congratulations Saltydog on making a soap that you love so much. :D

Dragonkaz said:
Wow ... it did feel good this morning! I'm so impressed!!!

I'll have to wait till tomorrow ... or maybe the weekend to comment on the possible 'slime' feeling, but for one day I'm super impressed!

I love soaps with interesting FO's and colours that shine and look mysterious when wet ... but I'm sure there'll be a market for my VOO and OO soaps ... Yah!
Cool, I'm glad you love them too! I love soaps with color and fragrance too, but I can see why people with sensitivities really dig these. Mine is in a wire soap holder that hangs over my shower head, it felt fine today.

pure&simple said:
I love to make EVOO soaps, but I don't like to use them soooo much. They're a little boring without the lather from CO or Castor. I always try to make EVOO soaps with some CO but it's hard because we're so used to Aleppo soaps that whenever I add other oils to my batch, I try to use at least 50% OO. Otherwise, I feel like it's not 'good' OO soap.
Does that make sense?
See, and I thought the lather was very nice, creamy with some big bubbles.
What is Aleppo soap?? I also like to use OO as my main ingredient, but usually do OO, CO, Palm, Shea or Avocado & some Castor. I like Lard, too and use that sometimes instead of the Palm. I was actually going to try some OO & CO soap this morning, I've never done just those two together. Since I liked the pure OO so much, I figured a small percentage of CO might just give it a nice bubble boost?

Aleppo soap is 100% OO soap. It's originally from Syria and its Very popular there. The older the soap, the more expensive because it lasts forever.

Back