Just purchased a blender & I have a question about trace

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KeepItSimpleSoap

Reaction score
I just got home from purchasing a blender and I am about to make my fourth batch. My question is when it gets to the trace stage should I get the soap mix out of the bowl and right in to the molds? The first three batches I remember stirring for another minute. Should I go ahead and get it right into the molds? On all 3 batches by the time I got near the end of the molds it was an instant pudding consistency and I was using my rubber spatula to get the remainder of the mix out of the mixing bowl.

It takes a bit of practice to recognize emulsion, but this video made by SMF member newbie is very helpful:
When you stick blend and the batter starts to trace, it will continue to thicken. Once you have achieved light trace, it is best to stop using the stick blender and hand stir. You can wait for your batter to thicken up on its own, or pour right away. I use my stick blender very sparingly - 2-3 second bursts, then stir or let it rest for 20-30 seconds before another 2-3 second burst with the stick blender. This works with my normal recipe. For recipes high in olive oil, you will need to stick blend more.

Yes, when you get trace, pour the batter into your molds.
It takes a bit of practice to recognize emulsion, but this video made by SMF member newbie is very helpful:
Thanks, @dibbles for re-posting this! Just this week I searched to no avail all over this forum for that video to share it with a newbie. I about burned out my computer watching that video awhile back!

My question is when it gets to the trace stage should I get the soap mix out of the bowl and right in to the molds? The first three batches I remember stirring for another minute. Should I go ahead and get it right into the molds?

Depends. If I’m just making GMS or a single color, scented soap with a well-behaved, I’ll take my trace to medium before pouring just to give me extra time to play.

If you wait until it is heavy trace before pouring - then by the time you pour your last it will be too thick, as you have discovered. Once trace is upon you, I find it just keeps moving. I tend to work at emission, or very light trace, so I can do swirls etc.

Latest posts

Back