Just placed my first FO order

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, it took me a year since I started making our own soap to buy scent but I finally did 2 days ago. I bought from Southern Soapers since I have been on their group from the start and they are next state over for me here in TN. It was interesting to choose the scents and to learn what I liked and would go over with hubby too. We have alot of the same smell preferances. Being woodsy and not sickly sweet.

First off I was after a good mint so I odered Mint & herbs. I am an student herbalist but my cats and chickens ate all my mint. So that was a must have right now. Another must have was the Red Egyptian Musk. I got a thing for old egypt and it sounded wonderful. Along with that idea I also got the Sangre De Drago. I figured hubby would like both of these. Another for me was Freesia Rose and also Hyacinth Gardenia. Too flowery for him but I love those scents for certain mood. Since I grew up on a island Sea Air Sandlewood seem like a nice combo. Last but not least was Bonsai.

One thing I could not buy is any food type scents. Key Lime Pie was temptating but I am afraid I would eat the soap. LOL I wanted a coconut scent and the lime coconut look good but I had a limit and from reading most coconut scents just do not make it.

All in all I am very happy with the cost. I know many say SS are up there in price but for me it is reasonable. I spent $40.00 at the local Health Barn buying sweet almond oil and tea tree. I spent the same at SS and got alot more. All were 1oz so I will have enough for many batches.

I did sign up for the scentreview board and I am waiting for approval. So till then if you have used any of these scents from SS for CP please tell me your thoughts. I know I need to use less than recommended with SS due to their strenght. Which is a good thing for the will last more batches before haveing to buy more. Can't wait till they get here this week. Really need to make soap we almost out.

I just got an order from Brambleberry and had a scent I've not tried before called Morroccan Mint. It smells divine; can't wait to soap with it.

are you soaping with almond oil? I found I didnt do much for my soap, switched to shea or cocoa butters. does your bosai smell like irish spring? I bought that fo from aroma haven, people liked it.

I will be with this batch using SAO. My first couple were with soy then after that safflower. I only use 3 lard coconut and a soft. This time to be SAO.

I got my order today. The Bonsai is very earthy. I guess to some it might smell that way. But I pick up more of the woody pine notes on it. It is a layered scent so changes as you smell it. Will be interesting to see what comes up in soap I live around alot of cedars and pines.

Sangre De Drago is another layered scent but more on the spicy side. This one is growing on me more and more.

Mint and Herbs is also very layered. You hit the mints first then pick up the other hers. I like it alot.

Ofcourse my two flower scents are dead on. Hyacinth gardenia and fressia rose. I love both of them.

Sea air sandlewood I am undecied on. I will wait till I soap it.

Red Egyptian Musk is powdery musk but there is more to it than that. Amber comes out. it is another layered scent.

I guess I do not like simple scents. Gotta have layers. Sherk image coming to mind here. LOL

I ckd out southern soapers.. I thought they were a little high.. 9.00 for 4 oz .... I bought from New Directions 3.3 oz around 5.oo each and 15.oo shipping I just got my order 2 days ago..

did you get fos or eos? ive never ordered from them, but I would if ever need eos, fos I go to peak or ng 2.50$ per ounce.

I bought the Fo's. Since they are so strong I only need half what is normally used for a batch. I made a 1.5lb batch with the mint and herbs. I used just over half an ounce. I should have not used that much for it has my wjole bedroom smelling of it. My cure closet is the master closet since it is the biggest and has good cirulation.

So in fact I got enough for 2 batches with just 1 ounce. I think if I did a 2lb batch I would still use just half an ounce. That is how strong there FO's are in reality. Truefully it all comes out the same but shipping is different. Being closer means less shipping cost.

Back