Just noticed

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I keep forgetting to buy lollies for the neighbourhood kids in time for Halloween. I'll have to hide in shame if I forget. :oops:

Bubbles Galore said:
I keep forgetting to buy lollies for the neighbourhood kids in time for Halloween. I'll have to hide in shame if I forget. :oops:

I wasn't sure if you celebrated Halloween "down under". Now I know! :D We're out in the middle of nowhere, at the end of a long laneway, so we never see trick or treaters here. I might dress up for driving the schoolbus on the Friday though! 8)

here (croatia, and most of the europe as i know) we don't have Halloween, but on the same date we have Day of the dead, and one day after Day of all saints (souls) (or maybe it's the opposite, i'm not sure ) :oops: - so there's something spooky in the air here also :D

the dressing up in costumes happens somewhere in ferbuary, it's always a different day, depending on the easter date. it lasts for few days, with one final ceremony in which a big doll (like few times bigger than people) is accused of all the bad things that happened through the last year and burnt.
and than partyyyy!!

(it sounds more morbid than it is, in reality it's very frivolous, not like execution or smth like that ) :p

November 1 is All Saints' Day in English tradition as well. Mexico has a Day of the Dead, which is, I believe, on Oct. 31 - I could be wrong! From what I understand, it's more of a day to honour deceased relatives.

I love hearing about how these days are different across cultures... Dia Del Muerte etc.... pretty cool to see the differences :)

Ian, I was just thinking the same thing; it really is cool learning of the dates that others celebrate holidays/celebrations.

yup!! :) Love it :)... see all that from changing the titles lol

... I remember studying in Anthro in college, it was so interesting, in Haiti they talk of day of the dead when they have zombies mulling about...and some they think are actually real... etc.. lol

I wonder if they practiced it back in the time of the Aztecs? ... they probably did human sacrifice or some other scary stuff ... glad I wasnt around then...or Id be desaparacedo like them lol

We are in TX w/ a very large Mex population. We LOVE day of the dead. It is a day to remember & honor those that have passed on. Kinda like memorial day but with fun parties & parades.

In my family, we value all cultures. We teach our children about tolerance and acceptance. We eat food from other countries and learn about what makes them different & what makes us all the same. Our TV is perm set on the discovery channel

Down in the Southern hemisphere we are celebrating Beltaine on 31 October/1 November. Our "Halloween" equivalent is called Samhain and that would be 30 April/1 May.

Tabitha said:
We are in TX w/ a very large Mex population. We LOVE day of the dead. It is a day to remember & honor those that have passed on. Kinda like memorial day but with fun parties & parades.

In my family, we value all cultures. We teach our children about tolerance and acceptance. We eat food from other countries and learn about what makes them different & what makes us all the same. Our TV is perm set on the discovery channel

HELL YEAAAH DISCOVERY CHANNEL IS THE CATS PAJAMAS!

lol

Samhain... I have heard that word somewhere..possibly ON discovery channel... Doesnt that mean devil or something i think?

Latest posts

Back