Sweaty Soaps?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fernando Sage

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Some of the soaps we make tend to get “sweaty” (slippery or oily) some times. Even after months and months.
Anyone know why this could be happening?

We noticed first during some farmers markets, when we got the soaps out of the car they were sweating in the AC.
By the way we live in MIAMI. 🥵

We thought it could be the outside heat and humidity, however, we started to notice they get sweaty even inside the house on the drying racks where we control the temperature with the AC.

We also noticed some dreaded orange spots, and before we didn’t have this issue. We don’t buy oil in large volume so our fats are not old.
Could the humidity in Florida be the cause of That?

HELP please!

Are your soaps made from a M&P base or are they CP soap? If it is M&P then the high glycerin content attracts moisture from the atomosphere.

Hi everyone,

Some of the soaps we make tend to get “sweaty” (slippery or oily) some times. Even after months and months.
Anyone know why this could be happening?

We noticed first during some farmers markets, when we got the soaps out of the car they were sweating in the AC.
By the way we live in MIAMI. 🥵

We thought it could be the outside heat and humidity, however, we started to notice they get sweaty even inside the house on the drying racks where we control the temperature with the AC.

We also noticed some dreaded orange spots, and before we didn’t have this issue. We don’t buy oil in large volume so our fats are not old.
Could the humidity in Florida be the cause of That?

HELP please!
Welcome @Fernando Sage! I am in New England and have the soap sweating problem for the first time ever due to the rain and humidity we have had this year. (My windows are open and my house is humid.) The natural glycerin in my CP soap is attracting moisture from the air. You can read about my attempt to dry out my soap, including cured bars, starting here.

The bars stay dry only as long as the fan is on HIGH. They sweat on medium. I finally decided to break down and order a small dehumidifier that was highly rated and will put it and the soap drying setup in a bedroom.

Are you making cold processed soap? If so, do you have a favorite formula you are using? It may help members of the forum to offer advice if you post a recipe.

Welcome @Fernando Sage! I am in New England and have the soap sweating problem for the first time ever due to the rain and humidity we have had this year. (My windows are open and my house is humid.) The natural glycerin in my CP soap is attracting moisture from the air. You can read about my attempt to dry out my soap, including cured bars, starting here.

The bars stay dry only as long as the fan is on HIGH. They sweat on medium. I finally decided to break down and order a small dehumidifier that was highly rated and will put it and the soap drying setup in a bedroom.

Are you making cold processed soap? If so, do you have a favorite formula you are using? It may help members of the forum to offer advice if you post a recipe.

Thank you so much for taking the time to share that you go through the same. We haven‘t been making soaps for a a long time so the sweaty soaps were driving us crazy.

This week we had some of the hottest days ever in Miami, the humidity was crazy and on top of it all our AC broke and wouldn’t cool so we had only the fan running. I thought the soaps would sweat like crazy but they were dry. Also, sometimes we have the AC blasting inside the house and the soaps are sweaty/oily.

Here’s the formula we use.

Are your soaps made from a M&P base or are they CP soap? If it is M&P then the high glycerin content attracts moisture from the atomosphere.
We make only CP soaps.

Thank you for your input.

Attachments

• 42AEA6FB-6822-42C3-A1C7-75188EA5532E.jpeg
    42AEA6FB-6822-42C3-A1C7-75188EA5532E.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
I get sweaty soaps - despite not being perceived as being as humid as places like Miami, and India, NZ has an average humidity of circa 77%, with very little range ( from 70 - 85% year round).
My only solution was to buy a dehumidifier for my soap room.
Thank you for sharing your experience KiwiMosse. I’m not sure if the sweating is bad for the soaps but it definitely bothers me when I notice. I’m starting to consider a dehumidifier too.

Hi from Florida! I'm in Port St Lucie. If I leave soaps out then they tend to sweat. This winter I put up a bunch of soaps on a rack near the slider and they were fine. But then when it got more humid, they felt completely wet. So yeah, humidity plays a big factor.

All of them now are kept in a spare bedroom. The ac is on all the time and they are fine.

I did put out one of those Rid-X bags once under my soaps on the shelf...it made the soaps around it too brittle. Just a room with ac and the ceiling fan on works well for me.

Latest posts

Back