June 2021 SMF Soap Challenge - Garden Inspired

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congratulations to everyone! It was so amazing to see how the deliberately loose requirements inspired everyone to so different creations – that garden ingredient turned out to be unexpectedly challenging for quite some. And in the end, the vote was demanding because the techniques were vastly different, and mere gut-feeling aesthetics didn't help much.
Thanks @szaza for hosting!

@Tara_H
Among my other favourites, I think you well deserve your trophy! I've been mesmerised by your first tree swirl soap back in April (can well understand how deeply that view out of the window inspires/tantalises you), and that curly cherry blossom hairstyle added just that twist to it (glad that the colour came out so well in the end!). Actually it looks less like a tree trunk by itself this time, but more abstract, dancing, nearly self-conscious.

I’m not @Tara_H but I think she might have poured black, then white, used a hanger to make the two sides of the trunk. Do a little shaping of the top. Let that set. Mix the “confetti” with white batter and poured that on top of the set bottom layer. How’d I do? I’m thinking of trying this for a fall apple tree soap. It’s just the slightest abstract and non-fussy.

I adore it, by the way. Very out of the box.

I’m not @Tara_H but I think she might have poured black, then white, used a hanger to make the two sides of the trunk. Do a little shaping of the top. Let that set. Mix the “confetti” with white batter and poured that on top of the set bottom layer. How’d I do? I’m thinking of trying this for a fall apple tree soap. It’s just the slightest abstract and non-fussy.

I adore it, by the way. Very out of the box.
Thanks!

You were very close with the guess - it's 5 gear ties in first, then pour black, spoon white on very gently for the uneven landscape, then the white with shavings mixed in, and finally pulling the ties up one at a time through the whole lot.

Things I would do differently next time are: make a more concentrated effort to go in at the bottom and out halfway up for the trunk parts, and have a more strongly contrasting set of shavings to make shadows in the blossom canopy. I did a sort of AWP technique there but it didn't really show up in the final cut.

Now I wonder what next month's challenge will be?
July will be an UnChallenge month. There are five mods for the challenges so we each take two months, and have unchallenges for July and December. For Unchallenges the rules are pretty lax - I believe anyone can enter just by posting their soap in the thread and there is no voting. It's a fun sharing opportunity on the forum. (Ahem, as if our usual sharing isn't fun enough)

July will be an UnChallenge month. There are five mods for the challenges so we each take two months, and have unchallenges for July and December. For Unchallenges the rules are pretty lax - I believe anyone can enter just by posting their soap in the thread and there is no voting. It's a fun sharing opportunity on the forum. (Ahem, as if our usual sharing isn't fun enough)
Ok, that makes sense. Sounds fun. :)

Well done to all the entrants, and the winners! And thank you to szaza for such a great challenge. I have really enjoyed seeing the variety of different techniques and the outcomes, it really impressed me. Massive props to Tara for her abstract tree that I never would have even thought of.

I've loved this challenge and had lots of ideas to participate, sadly these little buggers are talking up all my time and goat milk at the moment

IMG_20210628_191817.jpg

Thanks!

You were very close with the guess - it's 5 gear ties in first, then pour black, spoon white on very gently for the uneven landscape, then the white with shavings mixed in, and finally pulling the ties up one at a time through the whole lot.

Things I would do differently next time are: make a more concentrated effort to go in at the bottom and out halfway up for the trunk parts, and have a more strongly contrasting set of shavings to make shadows in the blossom canopy. I did a sort of AWP technique there but it didn't really show up in the final cut.
I’m going to have to try this. I love the idea of a fall soap with this technique!

Ah hah! So that’s why there are
Well done to all the entrants, and the winners! And thank you to szaza for such a great challenge. I have really enjoyed seeing the variety of different techniques and the outcomes, it really impressed me. Massive props to Tara for her abstract tree that I never would have even thought of.

I've loved this challenge and had lots of ideas to participate, sadly these little buggers are talking up all my time and goat milk at the moment

View attachment 59037
Be still my heart. How old is that adorable baby goat? So cute!

Latest posts

Back