January 2023 SMF Challenge – Pick a Color, Any Color

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That’s a super pretty soap @Catscankim, with lovely soft variations of the hue.
Thank you! It was actually a combination of tint and hue. The bottom blue layer had added white, and the uppermost layers were tinted with ac. You don't see all of the upper layers because I cut them off LOL. They were over-tinted and ended up lookin just black.

edit: there was no rhyme or reason behind my design, except I messed up my plan from the get-go and improvised, which ended up not meeting the rules anyway. But it turned out to be a good mess up in the end lol

The challenge entry thread is now open:

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/entry-thread-for-smf-january-2023-challenge-–-pick-a-color-any-color.89733/

The closing deadline is on January 27th at 11:59 GMT. The sign up for the challenge will remain open through the entry period, but all entry soap must be posted by the deadline.

Good luck to all participants!

The challenge entry thread is now open:

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/entry-thread-for-smf-january-2023-challenge-–-pick-a-color-any-color.89733/

The closing deadline is on January 27th at 11:59 GMT. The sign up for the challenge will remain open through the entry period, but all entry soap must be posted by the deadline.

Good luck to all participants!
So, I ended up making my LAST ATTEMPT today. Fingers crossed it will be firm enough to cut tomorrow 🤞

Well I said I was one and done with this challenge. It didn't work out as planned. It looks and smells nice, but it unfortunately did not meet challenge rules.

Still happy with it though so I am going to post it here.

View attachment 70495
Wow! Hopefully, one day when I grow up I am going to make such beautifull soaps!

Ok, so this one is NOT my entry, but I did learn a lot from it. First and foremost I learned to never make soap while recovering from pneumonia. Lol.

This is the hardest soap I have ever made and as you can see, has a TON of these white spots. I don’t think they’re Stearic spots as they don’t wipe off and are chalky and deep. Not sure if it is maybe a problem with my TD, or what, but hope this never happens again.

I also think that in my illness/medication/exhaustion brain fog I mis-measured my Masterbatch lye and that’s why it’s so hard (maybe that’s why the white spots? IDK). Literally, I could throw this thing off a bridge and shatter a car window. It didn’t crumble when I cut it, surprisingly, but I popped a wire on my cutter at the first pass (yes, it was THAT hard after two days in the mold) so had to hand cut them. And, as you can also see, I am really, really bad at hand cutting. 😂

The hue is a lovely chartreuse, but I don’t believe I added enough of that to really give it as much definition as I was hoping for.

My entry batch is drying a bit on the counter before the cut. Went with a new, lard-based, recipe (one of @AliOop ’s) that worked beautifully. Let’s hope I didn’t mess up the insides, somehow 🤞

Attachments

• 2EEC0AC2-C212-4436-8B3B-58B86BCF84B9.png
    2EEC0AC2-C212-4436-8B3B-58B86BCF84B9.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
I already posted my entry but here are the other options I had. This was such a fun challenge - until my last attempt which started fun and ended up with me doing an unexpected deep cleaning. Lol. At least I was able to salvage a little from the countertop and throw it into whatever mold I could grab, but definitely not what I had planned for my 2nd attempt at a pull-through. Believe it or not, that batter started as a study on yellow. Note to self: even if your pull through doesn't come with binder clips...BUY SOME...and CLIP the sides. CLIP those sides. Oh my. Also buy another few pair of gloves so if your last and only pair rips you don't have to shove your hands in baggies to get the job finished and the cleanup done. Oh well - everyday a lesson. :)
20230118_080620.jpg
20230110_232040.jpg
20230121_155811.jpg

Last edited:
I already posted my entry but here are the other options I had. This was such a fun challenge - until my last attempt which started fun and ended up with me doing an unexpected deep cleaning. Lol. At least I was able to salvage a little from the countertop and throw it into whatever mold I could grab, but definitely not what I had planned for my 2nd attempt at a pull-through. Believe it or not, that batter started as a study on yellow. Note to self: even if your pull through doesn't come with binder clips...BUY SOME...and CLIP the sides. CLIP those sides. Oh my. Also buy another few pair of gloves so if your last and only pair rips you don't have to shove your hands in baggies to get the job finished and the cleanup done. Oh well - everyday a lesson. :)
View attachment 70547View attachment 70548View attachment 70549
I love those pink bars of soap!

View attachment 70547View attachment 70548View attachment 70549
Oh Lord, my entry soap (that still hasn’t been cut yet) is a yellow 😳

Oh my goodness, that column fail would have freaked me out! Great advice, and so sorry that happened, @McKherring Farm 🌸

Oh my goodness, that column fail would have freaked me out! Great advice, and so sorry that happened, @McKherring Farm 🌸
It totally did!! I was busy putting extra batter in a different mold when I heard a splat hit the floor, turned around and it was just pouring out of the mold! I grabbed a towel and threw it over the puddle on the floor and then started trying to shove everything from the counter back into the column - unsuccessfully. It caught me by surprise but is kind of humorous in hindsight - in a Lucille Ball type of moment (aging myself there).

It totally did!! I was busy putting extra batter in a different mold when I heard a splat hit the floor, turned around and it was just pouring out of the mold! I grabbed a towel and threw it over the puddle on the floor and then started trying to shove everything from the counter back into the column - unsuccessfully. It caught me by surprise but is kind of humorous in hindsight - in a Lucille Ball type of moment (aging myself there).
LOL - I can see it and it’s hysterical and terrible all at the same time…. 🌸
7B612F2D-0BEC-43D5-AA34-495B023A777A.jpeg

Latest posts

Back