It's y'alls fault!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

memadeit

Reaction score
You guys are costing me too much money. You all post a topic, I end up researching it, then I have to try it.

After reading the teeth soap topic, it made me think on nothing but that. I did a lot of research on it and really didin't find a "recipey" for a decent tasting one. Anyone have a simple one to try? Not to soapy tasting please.

Thanks

I only found 2 that were actually made with "soap" but here they are.

Some of the ingredients you may already have at home in your cabinet or kitchen. However, there are a few that you may need to pick up and/or order but they are NOT hard-to-find items so let's begin:

- A small bowl or glass to which you will add...

- 1 pump/squirt of a flavorless, all natural castile soap - the soap will act as a surfactant to help clean your teeth and gums without harsh chemicals. Look for one that comes in a foaming pump bottle if you want that foaming effect that we're so accustomed to with "regular" toothpastes.

- 1/4-1/2 tsp. of baking soda - this will act as a natural, mild abrasive for stain removal and besides, people have been brushing with good 'ole baking soda for decades for its other beneficial properties

- 1 capful (approximately 1/4 -1/2 tsp.) of vegetable glycerin - this is what will sweeten it up. But this is optional if you feel that you don't need or want to use it.

- A tiny drop or two of peppermint essential oil - obviously, this is what will give you that minty freshness! This is also optional and you can even look into adding other oils such as cinnamon or other mint - DISCLAIMER: please do your research on any essential oils you choose and check for any adverse side effects and other warnings!

- My personal addition to this recipe is a drop or two of GSE (grapefruit seed extract) - this is a natural anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, etc. product that I use to ward off any unwanted bacteria in my mouth

Simply stir the ingredients up in a small bowl or glass with your toothbrush and brush!

Flavorful Tooth Soap Recipe
Step 1
Combine the ingredients listed.
1. 1 tablespoon of Dr. Bronner's castile liquid soap (can be ordered from drbronner.com)
2. 5 tablespoons of coconut oil
3. 1 tablespoon of olive oil
4. 10 -- 12 drops of orange oil
5. 10 -- 12 drops of peppermint oil

Step 2
Blend the ingredients together thoroughly. If the consistency is thicker than desired, more olive oil or water can be added until it reaches a pourable texture.

Step 3
Store it in a clean soap dispenser.

thank you very much. This is such an intersting subject. Now just the thought of scrubbing teeth with soap.

Thinking of having to eat soap as a kid. :shock:

Just use your normal recipe and add some peppermint EO.
After a looong cure all soap tastes pretty ok and even a bit sweet.

Just rub your toothbrush on it.

I use my 'plain' soaps every now and then.

I personally can't use the tooth soap. I bought some from a girl who put hers in a push-up lip balm container, very cute idea, so I had to try it. I managed to get through the first brushing without gagging but couldn't do it the second time around. Straight into the trash.

If someone can come up with something that makes this not taste like soap, I would love to try it.

Coconut oil in the recipe makes for a very soapy taste. I'm using a tooth soap made from soybean, olive, and PKO. It takes a bit of experimenting to get the amount of soap to use on the brush right. Too much foam is not too nice. Although the soap is good for neutralizing food acids, it doesn't do much on stains from coffee or tea. So I also dip my toothbrush in baking soda to get a bit of scrubby action for my teeth. I wonder if adding baking soda to a rebatch would work? After using tooth soap regularly, commercial toothpaste seems super sweet to me.

from the research I have done, toothpauste has sugar in it. But then, they put sugar in everything.

memadeit said:
thank you very much. This is such an intersting subject. Now just the thought of scrubbing teeth with soap.

Serves you right for having a "potty" mouth. :lol:

I'll back up ewenique. Although I haven't tried it, I have read that coconut is the oil that makes for a soapy taste, so therefore any soap without coconut oil should be OK for tooth soap. Not having tried any, I can't guarantee, just adding my two cents' worth. 8)

Bubbles Galore said:
memadeit said:

Serves you right for having a "potty" mouth. :lol:

lol yeahh im there with mem.... it is the reason that to this day I cannot buy, use or make clear raspberry m&p, actually any red mp gives me the heebie jeebies ... Ive ate enough bars of that as a kid from my moms discipline it shouldve been included in the food pyramid lol

Back