It's a hobby but, people want to buy

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MickeyRat

Reaction score
I've been making soap as a hobby for the last 8 or 9 months. I make more than I can use and give it away. The thing is the people I give it to give it to other people to try and a now I have several people I don't know that want to buy it.

I'm not interested in building a business and I will continue to make whatever I feel like making. Outside of a rough guess, I don't even know what it costs me to make it and I'm not especially worried about it. All the information I can find about doing it legally is in terms of a business. I just want to be able to sell my excess. Where can I get information on doing it legally as a hobbyist?

If people insist on paying you, could they purchase supplies to replenish what you used? Or amazon, brambleberry gift card. Or just your local grocery.
Oh that's what I do! I have a neighbor who insists she pay, and while our laws for handmade beauty products aren't strict, if there are any at all, I don't believe I should start selling.

So what she does is hand over a jug of coconut or rice bran oil every now n then lol

As a hobbyist, any sales would be "casual sales" -- like selling stuff in a garage sale or selling a car. No worries. I would, however, start writing cost per ounce or gram on every purchase you make. Use that info to determine the cost of each batch of soap by writing down the cost for each item X the number of ounces or grams used on your recipe Then divide by the number of bars to get the cost per bar.

Let's say it costs $1 per bar to make. Then take that number X 3.5 = $3.50. Of course, you can charge more, like $6.00, but that's up to you. It gives me "wiggle room" when I sell my soaps at my garage sale -- and discount them at 3 for $15 to sell more soap!

ETA: One of the best sources for starting a soap business is Kenna of Modern Soapmaking... just in case you decide to move up a notch in the future. Here's a link:

Thanks for the info all of you. Zany_in_CO, I'll look into casual sales to try to see where the line is and thanks for the info on the book. However, I'm about to retire (10 more working days!!!) and I intend to do exactly as I like or at least as my wife likes. :) A business is too much like work.

I would, however, start writing cost per ounce or gram on every purchase you make. Use that info to determine the cost of each batch of soap by writing down the cost for each item X the number of ounces or grams used on your recipe
Zany, I have no plans to sell but am curious about how much I spent per bar. However, so many of my ingredients are labeled in fluid ounces, some containers are heavy jars, etc. How do you get at the cost of each item? Thanks,

I’m in the exact same position. Making soap is a fun break for me from the practice of law, which can be grueling. At first, I just gave away truckloads of soap to get it out of the house and get feedback, but I live in a small town and people insisted on paying (it’s a pride thing, I think.) I set a reasonable price, and I donate all the proceeds to local families with medical needs. It comes to about $400-500 a month. I think I’ve struck and imperfect, but reasonable balance.

You will want to look into insurance.
I’m in the exact same position. Making soap is a fun break for me from the practice of law, which can be grueling. At first, I just gave away truckloads of soap to get it out of the house and get feedback, but I live in a small town and people insisted on paying (it’s a pride thing, I think.) I set a reasonable price, and I donate all the proceeds to local families with medical needs. It comes to about $400-500 a month. I think I’ve struck and imperfect, but reasonable balance.
That's an amazing solution! Best of both worlds.

You will want to look into insurance.
I spent my first few years of practice doing insurance defense. Lol. Loads of insurance. Better to be on the safe side. Also, my state has a really broad cottage foods and crafts law designed to protect small scale producers.

... so many of my ingredients are labeled in fluid ounces, some containers are heavy jars, etc. How do you get at the cost of each item?
Hiya Zing!
I charge containers at my cost. You have the option to up charge, of course. Here's an example of cost break down of a soap I made for a wholesale customer:

COST OF DOG SHAMPOO

Almond Oil 8 oz. wt @ .20 = 1.60
Castor Oil 4 oz. wt @ .43 = 1.72
Coconut Oil 32 oz. wt @ .13 = 4.16
Corn Oil 8 oz. wt @ .07? = .56 ? (Guesstimate LOL)
Neem Oil 8 oz. wt @ .35 = 2.80
Olive Oil 16 oz.wt @ .20 = 3.20
Palm Oil 23 oz.wt @ .13 = 2.99
Aloe Vera Juice 38 fl oz. @ .20 = 7.60
NaOH (5%) 13 oz.wt @ .20 = 2.60
EO Blend 2.8 oz wt. = 8.73
TOTAL 99 oz. 35.96

$36.00 / 24 BARS = $1.50
$1.50 X 3.5 = $5.25 Retail
$1.50 X 2.5 = $3.75 Wholesale

HTH (Hope That Helps)

Back