Is stating a type of skin this product is for a medical claim?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jadelilly

Reaction score
hi! I'm trying really hard to abide by the rules and don't want to put anything on my packaging that is a medical claim (of course)

If I put that a certain oil or lotion or for "dry/mature skin" or for "oily skin" or "normal/combination skin" is that a medical claim? Certain things work better for for certain skin types (like if I have oily skin, I would want a drier oil or lotion, dry skin would want something more nourishing and hydrating)
And for anti aging stuff, are there any words I CAN use?

Thank you in advance for your help!

I'm not an expert, but I don't think that would constitute a drug claim since you aren't claiming to heal anything or cure a disease.
AFAIK, those would be considered cosmetic claims, so your products would have to be labeled in compliance with cosmetic labeling laws

I don't believe stating what skin type something is for is a medical claim, it's simply specifying who the product would be most suited for - kind of like specifying that a soap is for babies. I could be wrong though. As far as anti-aging, I'm pretty sure that that is a drug claim. I can't think of anything that could be used in it's place that wouldn't be.

I do know that I can't claim my facial serum is anti-aging. :) Found that out a couple days ago. Now I will just be putting facial serum on my labels. I don't put what skin type my soaps are for on the label but I do tell whomever will be using it what is best suited for them if they ask.

Latest posts

Back