In need of good dog soap recipes and tips on coloring

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

countymounty22

Reaction score
My wife's cousin has a dog rescue business and she wants me to make up some dog soap. I have found some recipes on the net but, I am interested in finding out what you folks have. She also wants me to color it but I told her I would also have to research the affects of oxide pigments on fur. She might smell like lavender but a purple poodle is hideous.

I'm not a big fan of using people soap on animals because they can't tell you if it's irritating them, but I'd go with the most gentle soap recipe you can without any coloring or scent (not even eo's), like maybe Castile.

I second the Castile thing. That's the only soap I'd feel comfortable using on an animal that I made myself.

I have to agree with the no fragrance, no EO etc thing.

As Genny said, they can't tell you if they're irritated by it, I'd think about it this way, Dont use it on an animal if you wouldnt use it on a baby. xx

I'm happy to report that both my dogs did ok with a bar of soap I rebatched. The original soap was the first soap I have ever made with CP! Just used generic Crisco, lye, and water, made it CP at 5% superfat, and then 2 weeks later rebatched it with a little lavender oil. Since it was rebatched it cooked through and I have been using it myself and it's pretty nice! So I used it on the dogs with their last bath and it was very conditioning for their fur! My doxie has short hair and VERY dry skin and he always scratches and itches (even though it's adorable, I know he's bothered by it, so we don't bathe him much-which is ok because he's an inside dog). So with their baths this weekend I gave it a try and it worked well!

I used to volunteer at an animal shelter, and I kid you not, they washed the dogs with DISH SOAP when they ran out of dog shampoo or baby shampoo donations! Talk about drying!

My doxie has short hair and VERY dry skin and he always scratches and itches (even though it's adorable, I know he's bothered by it, so we don't bathe him much-which is ok because he's an inside dog).

We have a short haired doxie, too :) He's 14 yrs old & has had probably 16 baths his entire life. All of those, except the first couple, were just water baths. Ours doesn't have dry skin though & is also an inside dog. So he doesn't get very dirty and he doesn't have that "dog" smell, but he's got a beautiful shiny black coat :)

I'm going to have to back track and see if I can find a recipe that I had for dog soap. I think it called for Neem oil, which I understood to repel ticks and fleas. We do not have either of these pests in the desert, but if we go into the mountains we would encounter them. I'd think that citronella would be good to keep mosquito's at bey....we don't have those either. I don't bathe my pooch often (a Chiweenie) but I've always used MY shampoo pre soapmaking, on her. My intention is to rid myself and my families homes of store bought soaps and shampoo.

The Catherine Failor book mentions the use of EO for shampoos that can be used on dogs, and also using the Castile soap or lower concentration of CO.

I too like the Castile idea, with and without the EO. I think its use can help to combat certain issues.

Also, why not infuse your oils. I seen a video on YouTube where they used alkanet root and annato seeds,

A[ame]http://youtu.be/aRjW8iGA2eA[/ame]

This is just an FYI, i am by no means the expert!

Last edited:
I just wanted to remind forum members that if you sell your dog soap, saying they repel ticks & fleas or anything like that can get you in hot water with the EPA for selling an insecticide. I don't think the OP planned on selling it, but just thought I'd throw that in there just in case.

Also, the ph of dog's skin doesn't return to normal as fast as humans after using soap/shampoos so with any soap or shampoo you use, make sure you dilute it in water and rinse, rinse, rinse.

Citronella is used in dog repellent when they train dogs because they hate the smell (my BIL is a dog trainer), so I don't think that would be a good eo to go with in dog soap.

One last thing, when you research the eo's that can be safe for dogs, remember that they may not be safe for cats or birds. Just in case she also has other animals around. (That's just one more reason that I suggest going scent free for dogs ;) )

I would research this very, very carefully before going ahead.

Dog skin is not people skin. I am not a dog owner but I have read on other forums that dogs have more sensitive skin and the pH guidelines are different. They also have different tolerance with respect to essential oils.

If you do go forward, I'd suggest no scent and no color.

We have a short haired doxie, too :) He's 14 yrs old & has had probably 16 baths his entire life. All of those, except the first couple, were just water baths. Ours doesn't have dry skin though & is also an inside dog. So he doesn't get very dirty and he doesn't have that "dog" smell, but he's got a beautiful shiny black coat :)

My little doxie is my one and only son, and he knows it. Got to love those stubborn little beasts! His fur is always shiny and a pretty red/brown shade, but his skin is dry, our vet suspects that it is our gas forced heat plus the cold temps. He only got a soap bath this weekend because he stepped decided to roll in some yuck outside. He has this thing where if it smells, he wants to roll in it, and that's what happens when you give him an inch of freedom!

My friend found a pretty bad off stray cat this winter who was filthy and matted. He was quite cooperative when we gave him a sponge bath with my 100% OO castile soap. She's since decided to keep him and says that the soap seems to work well for him. But this is plain castile with no scents or anything. Dunno if that helps.

My little doxie is my one and only son, and he knows it. Got to love those stubborn little beasts! His fur is always shiny and a pretty red/brown shade, but his skin is dry, our vet suspects that it is our gas forced heat plus the cold temps. He only got a soap bath this weekend because he stepped decided to roll in some yuck outside. He has this thing where if it smells, he wants to roll in it, and that's what happens when you give him an inch of freedom!

All dogs will try and fine some yuck to roll in outside, after they have had a bath. I heard it was to try and mask their smell from the outside beasties. :shock: Ugggg. I don't bathe my Rozee very often, but I am going to make a small batch of Castille and add some Neen EO. Will be pulling out my EO guide and see what other EO's might be suitable for an indoor desert dog. Mine is a Chiweenie. Side note. Rozee HATES to get her nails cut. In fact I have had a few doggie spas call us right after we left, to come and get her cuz she bit. We TOLD them she would. So we took her to the vet, $27.00 to clip her nails PLUS $23.00 to muzzle her!!!! I only pay $18.00 for a SPA pedi AND thay rub my feet (OMG LOVE it). :oops:

Back