I'm so tired of hearing....

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueSky

Reaction score
"my skin is so sensitive I only use Ivory Soap". Is Ivory really that mild? I seriously doubt it is any milder than the soap I make. I sent four bars to a friend of my dh--mind you he said he wanted to try my soaps. I got a call from him today saying that the soaps arrived, but he would probably only use them as hand soaps because he has sensitive skin. Do people really think that a commercially made soap is milder than one that is made from some really nice ingredients? I don't get it.

I usually don't have issues with soaps but Ivory makes my skin dry but that's the only thing my MIL can use. My SIL and MIL have problems with soap. I'm hoping my mildest unscented recipe will work.

Have you tried to explain that it's milder? Maybe after realizing that it's not doing anything to his skin, he'll use it on his body.

I personally think Ivory is so harsh on my skin and my skin isn't that sensitive. I think people are assuming that the modern homemade soap is like "the stuff that grandma made." I have heard that quote so many times that it's unreal. We just have to keep informing people that our soap is moisturizing and very gentle. Someday they'll learn.... maybe. :)

I don't like Ivory either or most other soaps. We use Dove here because we found that was the best for the kids dry skin, though I'm hoping to be able to make a mild soap for them.....eventually.

BlueSky said:
"my skin is so sensitive I only use Ivory Soap". Is Ivory really that mild? I seriously doubt it is any milder than the soap I make. I sent four bars to a friend of my dh--mind you he said he wanted to try my soaps. I got a call from him today saying that the soaps arrived, but he would probably only use them as hand soaps because he has sensitive skin. Do people really think that a commercially made soap is milder than one that is made from some really nice ingredients? I don't get it.

I have the most sensitive skin on the planet. If I bath with Ivory soap it feels like my skin has been boiled in acid. That stuff is absolutely brutal. Pure handmade natural soap turned out to be the cure for me.

My grandma also swears by Ivory, and she told me that my 100% castille soap with goats milk made her skin irritated - I don't get it. (She IS going a little nutty though. Actually a LOT nutty. So I don't really take her "observation" seriously!)

Anyway, she has all kinds of skin problems and has always used Ivory...

I've heard that old tune a lot, but if you can ever get them to try your soap, then you have them hooked. I had the same thing with my dad, only Ivory, now he's finally using my soap, although he's sticking it to the ivory so it floats in the tub, go figure.

Cortney said:
I don't like Ivory either or most other soaps. We use Dove here because we found that was the best for the kids dry skin, though I'm hoping to be able to make a mild soap for them.....eventually.

Pretty mucch any soap you make is going to be milder that Dove or Ivory because akk the glycerin is intact. Depending on the age of your children I would recommend going without FO or EO and keep it uncoloured. Castille is gentle enough for a baby and is a baby soap and Bastille (75% OO - 25% CO) is also increibly mild. Not sure what recipe you are using but I doubt that your soap is as harsh as Dove or Ivory.

When someone tells me they only use Ivory I give them a sample and ask thyem to try it. They often come back to buy (those that actually use the sample).

A customer was in the shop (lady) marveling that I was making soap. Although it wasn't aged, I offered her a couple of bars and told her not to use them until the end of the month. She took the soap and later said "We only use Ivory." Wonder what she will do with the soap? LOL

Ivory has to be the most-harsh soap on the market today!..and to think, women bathed BABIES with it!

CastorFan said:
A customer was in the shop (lady) marveling that I was making soap. Although it wasn't aged, I offered her a couple of bars and told her not to use them until the end of the month. She took the soap and later said "We only use Ivory." Wonder what she will do with the soap? LOL

Ivory has to be the most-harsh soap on the market today!..and to think, women bathed BABIES with it!

You have a shop?

mamaT said:
I've heard that old tune a lot, but if you can ever get them to try your soap, then you have them hooked. I had the same thing with my dad, only Ivory, now he's finally using my soap, although he's sticking it to the ivory so it floats in the tub, go figure.

make him a batch of whipped soap! it floats too! lol

"OH, if you think Ivory is gentle, wait till you try my homemade soap!"

That is my motto from now on. I see a trend happening here.

A lot of my soap floats and I wonder if it is because I bring them to med. trace (depending on the recipe) and whip the heck out of them when I put color or scent in. Never really thought about it before the other nigh. I dropped a BIG bar in the tub and it floated a little. Anyone else notice this?

oldragbagger said:
A customer was in the shop (lady) ....

You have a shop?[/quote]

Not a soap shop...a motorcycle shop.
That's where I make my soap--in the shop kitchen.

Latest posts

Back