I'm making soap tonight

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rsupisces

Reaction score
I decided that since I am not working tonight and I have the house to myself, I'm going to make soap. This is my first ever batch so we will see how this goes. My oils and lye are currently cooling. I purchased 2 thermometers but apparently the batteries need to be replaced. I guess I will soap at room temperature.

Here's my recipe
Lard 50%
Almond Oil 5%
Avocado Oil 20%
Castor Oil 10%
Shea Butter 15%

I don't know how hard this recipe will be but I wanted to use oils that won't clog my pores. Any advice, critiques or suggestions will be welcomed.

Thank you

It will certainly be a very gentle bar of soap. Be will not get a bar that has much for bubbles, but it will produce a creamy lather that is not bubbly. Bubbles don't clean anyway...Lard makes a really nice soap

The numbers from soapcalc
Hardness 33
Cleansing 1
Conditioning 62
Bubbly 10
Creamy 41

I wanted a gentle bar especially for my face and back. We will see how it turns out.

Interested to see how it comes out. ;) Just be patient with it and know ahead of time that it will likely take a bit to harden up before removing since it's a softer soap.

So here it is in the mold. It's harder than I thought it would be. It's now in the freezer. I try to unmold later.

Here it is my first soap!

1391950723616.jpg

1391959276090.jpg

You are going to be hooked once you use your very own soap. I am just warning you now. You will never be able to tolerate store bought soap again. They smell harsh and dry your skin.

It looks wonderful! Good job! Welcome to the addiction!

Congrats on your first batch, they look great! I think your bars will be fantastic, very gentle and conditioning. Waiting for it to cure will test your patience but it will be worth it:)

Congratulations! Those bars look very luxuriously creamy. Let us know how they feel!

I'm new at soaping, and I've gone through a lot of learning experiences in the past months. One thing I have learned to do is soap without thermometers. I bought two digital thermometers, I used them a lot, and they stressed me out.

Now I pre-measure all my stuff a day or a few days before I plan on making a batch. This makes everything room temp when I mix them. It is sooooo much easier for me than stressing about those darn temperatures.

If the oils hardened up a little bit since measuring, then I will put the oils in the microwave along with the lye and heat them together for 30 seconds or so to remelt the oils. Then I go by touch to determine the two are close in temperature. This has been working well for me for a while now. I hope none of the experts are shocked by this method!

But the thermometers have not gone to waste. They are great for swirling!

I think that's going to be a great and gentle facial bar with a nice creamy lather. Low cleansing, high conditioning and even the low bubbly number is a positive in my opinion. Bubbly lather is great for body bars, but not so much for facial bars IMO. I hate the way big bubbles somehow always get up your nose. LOL

Congrats on your first soap! It really looks fantastic. You can be proud. :)

What great first soaps! I just love the look of a good basic bar like that.
Did you add any fragrance? My hubby adores fragrance free bars, so thats what I make for him.

Thanks everyone for the moral support. Can't wait to make my next batch.

What great first soaps! I just love the look of a good basic bar like that.
Did you add any fragrance? My hubby adores fragrance free bars, so thats what I make for him.

I didn't put an fragrance just tea tree oil.

Congratulations, they're gorgeous, and I'll bet they feel even better! :)

Back