I'm Baaaackk!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sixfooter

Reaction score
Good Morning All and Happy Birthday to any US Marines that happen to be in here!
All that said, its been a long time since I was here, last few years have been a bit of an adventure. I have moved twice including a relo back to my home state of Texas. I got married and am in the midst of putting together a life that most folks take for granted and consider to be "Normal".
I still have a lot of stuff packed up and not much of a chance of getting unpacked any time soon, which brings me to a bit of help I need.
Does anyone have Sandy Mains "Soap Book"? I need the numbers for her 3 oil blend.
I have 2 copies of her book but they are among the items that are still packed up and buying a 3rd copy would be ridiculous.
Glad to back in here and looking forward to catching up

Danny

OK, so Thanks for the replys
The link posted above was nice but it only accounted for 98% of the ingredients and I am not sure they are even correct. I ended up buying yet another copy off ebay for $4 so no real damage. I made a batch last week using the %'s in the link above, ran it through a lye calk and had my first failed batch ever. Looked great, I got the trace I was looking for and by the next morning it was set nice and all that. Couple days later I took the mold apart and tried to cut it, hard and crumbly, WTH? Net says too much lye...Hmph
SO, new book is in. FYI the correct numbers are 24 oz olive oil, 24 oz coconut oil. 38 o crisco, 12 oz lye and 32 oz water. Thats 28%, 28% and 44%. The lye calc I used said 15.83 Lye and 30.4 water with the linked recipe. Anyway, colossal failure. Starting over today with a tried and true recipe.
Basic math problem in the link up there

The recipe in the above link is correct. Whether you used the new or old Crisco it would not matter as far as lye usage. I am guessing you waited to long to cut your soap and it crumbled. If you measured correctly it was not lye heavy. You should have cut it when it was set the next day. Ninety percent of the time I cut my soaps in 12 hrs or less

Here are the soap calc percentages
Crisco 43.93 %
Coconut 28.04 %
Olive 28.04 %
That is not a big error :D you just had a cutting error or mis-measurment

Latest posts

Back