If you could only make three

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Buttermilk bastille for my girls, 100% coconut oil/coconut milk salt bars for me, and I think maybe a coffee soap with coffee grinds for scrubbiness.

Rob, I can't share the original recipe because it's Iben's but it's posted on the the Dish forum, although you will have to search for spa bars, but basically it's 50% coconut oil, 30% soft oil and 20% other firm oil like palm or lard or... 40% lye solution, as much salt as you can stir in without getting crumbly. Make sure it gels and cut while still warm. And oh yes, superfat at 5-6%

Rob, I can't share the original recipe because it's Iben's but it's posted on the the Dish forum, although you will have to search for spa bars, but basically it's 50% coconut oil, 30% soft oil and 20% other firm oil like palm or lard or... 40% lye solution, as much salt as you can stir in without getting crumbly. Make sure it gels and cut while still warm. And oh yes, superfat at 5-6%

thank sistrum much appreciated will have to make some soon.

thanks rob

I'd only make yoghurt-rosemary soap, coconut milk soap with EO lemongrass and juniper and a green clay soap with EO's fir tree/juniper/anise.

Is bastille similar to castille? Thought it was a typo, but then saw it listed by other people. What's the difference?

Hmm...My sunflower cedar soap, OMH and my 30 O/30 C/30 P/10 oil soap with Jasmine and Neroli FO.

Is bastille similar to castille? Thought it was a typo, but then saw it listed by other people. What's the difference?

Bastile is bastardized castile. If you want to get technical, the only thing that makes a true castile is OO, lye and water. Anything else used and its not a true castile, though some companies have modified the definition to "vegetable based soaps." So the soaping community uses the term bastile for anything that is very high in OO yet not a true castile.

Rosemary Tea Tree soap, Pine Tar and Goat Milk!

Btw, do salt bars dry the skin if used every day?

If you could only make three bar soaps what would they be?
This will be my next task. ;-)

Oats and Honey Soap, Everyday Soap (Simple, clean cut white bar with a light citrus scent) and of course a Peppermint Rosemary.. I love my mint bar!

Do you have a salt bar that you could sell - I would like to try one before making one. Or do you have a favorite seller that sells them (if you do not sell yourself) Ive never made a salt bar before and I think you are right that trying a bar first would be a good idea :)

I have only two recipes that I consider "finished" and would make again without modification: my shaving soap and a shampoo bar. I'm still playing with body soap recipes.

Basil herb soap/w sea salt, pine tar/oakmoss soap, Dead Sea clay soap

This is to Mark the box guy:
I have tried to make a good shampoo bar but they always leave my hair feeling dirty and tangled. Is there a recipe you could share that would actually leave my hair feeling clean and less tangled?

Last edited:
Hmmm hard to choose, but I'd probably make my coffee scrub bars, raw honey and oatmeal shea butter soap, and sea salt bars. Those are my favorites :D

Latest posts

Back