I want to try a gardeners soap...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lioness

Reaction score
Hi everyone I want to make a gardeners soap and I am having trouble deciding what to put in it. I am thinking of using coffee grounds as the exfoilient but I am not too sure what fragrance to use. It would be nice to use an EO as I want to also keep it natural looking.
What do most people us and do you just dress up a receipe that you always use or does it have to be a special gardeners receipe.?
Thanks

are you wanting it to be especially cleansing for dirty gardners? Or, are you more interested in it smelling or looking like a gardeners soap?

I guess I would migrate towards something with some scrubby texture- maybe from blueberry seeds or oatmeal-- and I'd like it to be fresh and clean smelling-- perhaps something citrussy-herbal. Bath and Body Works use to have a scent called "cool citrus basil." I loved that scent!!!!

You can use your "regular" soap recipe- as long as it has a nice amount of cleansing and moisturizing ability. I use Soapcalc.net to formulate a soap with cleansing at about 17-18 and moisturizing as high as I can get it, while still having a hard bar (48 and up). Add about a tablespoon of finely ground oatmeal per 2 lbs of oils, (more if you like- check it during mixing- add more if you want more scrubbing). Add about 1 T. EO per lb. of oils.
Dried herbs would also be great in a gardeners soap. They look nice, and they would give even more scrubbing power.

I have a recipe from a book that I have been wanting to try. She puts in for 2.5 kilos ( a little over 5 pounds ) 3 tbs sage, 2 tbs poppy seeds, 1 tbs peppermint, 1 tbs oatmeal, equal parts of tea tree,peppermunt, spearmint, eukalyptus and patchouli.. It looks really nice!

how do you have a 48 for hardness and keep your cleansing at 17 or 18? just wondered?

I use a bit of pumice....careful not use too much, as it can be very scratchy....

Thanks everyone for the advice....I can't make it this Friday anymore as my son is not going to his Dads anymore. :(
Friday is always soap day for me, its my me time as its the only time I get a break.
Mys son's three and hes autisic so hes a very busy little person. I always have to have something for us to do or it can get alittle crazy around here. So I really enjoy "soap day"!
I sneak on here so I can learn alittle when I can so thanks again everyone....

lioness said:
Hi everyone I want to make a gardeners soap and I am having trouble deciding what to put in it. I am thinking of using coffee grounds as the exfoilient but I am not too sure what fragrance to use. It would be nice to use an EO as I want to also keep it natural looking.
What do most people us and do you just dress up a receipe that you always use or does it have to be a special gardeners receipe.?
Thanks

I make one with cornmeal and pumice...and then scent it with lavender and litsea...I love it! :D

Latest posts

Back