I want to make a lime cp soap, but have questions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaggedrande

Reaction score
Hello , I have a few questions, I want to make a lime coconut cp soap. I will be using coconut milk and shredded coconut in it and on top, I know the coconut won't smell. But I will be using lime eo and I don't want it to fade so how do I do that???

I use spearmint essential oil with my lime and call it mojito. You can add a little kaolin clay or a tad of litsea cubeba with the lime.

are you using strictly EO? i know citrus is prone to fading, so perhaps use a bit more, or do blends? i was gonna suggest coconut lime verbena, but it's an FO. i do love that smell though, and i think it fits perfect with your theme.

someone here (can't remember who, sorry) suggested using clay for the scent to stick. i have just started using it, so i have no results yet whether it's working or not. one thing i do know, if you want your scent to stick or stronger, use more. 3% EO is not gonna make me satisfied, so i usually do 4 or 5 tops.

Not sure about lime EO but I made a salt bar with coconut lime FO and its still strong after 4 months. Can't smell any coconut but the lime is nice.

are you using strictly EO? i know citrus is prone to fading, so perhaps use a bit more, or do blends? i was gonna suggest coconut lime verbena, but it's an FO. i do love that smell though, and i think it fits perfect with your theme.

someone here (can't remember who, sorry) suggested using clay for the scent to stick. i have just started using it, so i have no results yet whether it's working or not. one thing i do know, if you want your scent to stick or stronger, use more. 3% EO is not gonna make me satisfied, so i usually do 4 or 5 tops.
I simply do not find any difference with using clay, and find lime is best mixed as mentioned by LSG to use some litsea with it. I also use EO, other than the cinnamons, cloves, peppermint, etc at 4-5%. Lime Coconut Verbenia FO is a lovely fo in soaps and holds better than lime eo

I only use eo no fo. Thank you for the replies.i have been having a hard time having any eo stick ,so I am a little scared to try anything new.

I made a lavender and citrus soap (EOs only), and the citrus ended up being quite strong. I'd suggest trying with clay.

how much ppo have you been putting in?

I usually do anywhere from .5 ounces to 1 ounces , I just made a facial soap and 48 hours later no smell, I did 1 ounce of tea tree and 1 ounces eucalyptus , in less than 2 pound batch. Suggestions are welcome

Haven't made lime EO for CP, but use it a lot in homemade cleaning. I love it! Happy to see it works out in CP.

I have not found that clay helps the EO's stay, but only tried one and the clay didn't like my skin so much (rose clay and rose geranium scent), but most of soaps are only just over a year old. When I smell the older bars, I don't get much scent, but when I use them in the shower under the hot water the scent returns.

Also happy to see someone else using Eucalyptus. I find it soothes aching joints, but only while in the shower. It works well in CP, the scent is not as strong as out of the bottle, so it becomes more pleasant for those that don't care for it.

I made a ginger and lime soap almost a year ago and the smell doesn't seem to have faded. I also only use EO; I used equal parts of lime and ginger EO, I believe. I also make a soap with lemon and basil EO and haven't had trouble with the scent fading.

When I smell the older bars, I don't get much scent, but when I use them in the shower under the hot water the scent returns.

Also happy to see someone else using Eucalyptus. I find it soothes aching joints, but only while in the shower. It works well in CP, the scent is not as strong as out of the bottle, so it becomes more pleasant for those that don't care for it.

Mel, i found that too with some of my older soaps! i admit, i was being very careful in using my EO/FO in my early days (translate: cheapskate :D). i was using so little that a lot of my early day soaps are practically smell-less now, lol. but it's true, when you use them in the shower, i can smell the scent.

I haven't had an issue with lime EO sticking. I also make a mojito with lime and peppermint.

I made a ginger lime eo soap almost 4 months ago with no fading scent. I did add some cornstarch in with the eo's to have the lime stick. Once I got to a medium trace, I stirred in the eo/cornstarch combo and then poured into my mold. Plan on using the cornstarch method with other eo's that tends to fade as well.

I found this helpful with orange and lemon - get some dried lime peel or zest, soak it in the EO, and use that. I think the peel helps hold on to the scent.

I tried using grated lime peel in my last batch of ginger lime soap, and it turned brown as soon as it was added to the soap batter. :sad: I've had a lot more luck with adding freshly grated lemon peel, which turns a pretty orangey-yellow and makes the soap nice and scrubby.

Would cornstarch work with FOs?

yes it will work with both EO and FO. you can use arrowroot powder as well , and as lsg stated litsea can aid in anchoring orange and some citrus scents. one tablespoon of cornstarch to an ounce of scent. and here is a useful FYI : cornstarch can be used in place of silk to give you a smooth feel in your soap.... for the vegans in your life.

Latest posts

Back