I too think I ruined my batch. .help!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irene

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I made my first batch EVERRRR yesterday, now I think I made a HUGH mistake.

The recipe was a 40 oz basic.

6 oz lard
6 oz coconut oil
28 oz olive oil
5.4 oz lye
10 oz. water

I measured the lard, and coconut oil sepratly added them to the pot, then put the pot on the
digital scale, and started to add the olive oil, For some reason I had this idea that 40 oz = 5 lbs (weight). So I kept pouring till my scale reached 5 lbs.

Everything went according to plan until it hit me last night that OMG what was I thinking!. So today I took the soap and the molds and weighted them. .well the weight is 59 fl oz. total. Does this make sense? I`m thinking that I added about 80 oz (weight) of oils/fats, yet it only weighs 59 oz total (that`s including the weight of the molds). Did I make a mistake?
Is it fixable? Math is not my forte so this quandry is hurting my head!!
I am sure that many of you are Math wizards and can see exactly what went wrong and know how to fix this. I have been trying to crunch the numbers but like I said "it`s hurting my head" HAHA!
If anyone can help I would appreciate it. I thank you for even reading this long (probably not quite clear explanation) email explaining my situation.

Soap diva wannabe.
Irene

I suggest you get a good scale; weigh your oils separately before combining or else tare out the scale before each addition. Although my scale has the tare function, I only use it for hard oils or butters because I can easily take a pinch or two out if I go over weight. With liquid, once it's combined, it's a done deal and then your recipe can be a disaster. :cry:

Thanks Rubyslippers,

I still can`t figure it out, anyway I guess I`ll leave it be for now.
I`ll let it cure for 6 weeks and try it. I plan on french milling it anyway.
Next time I will tare out after each addition or measure each ingredient separete and then add to the pot.
Anyone else out there who has a suggestion or want to share a similiar experience?

Irene :)

Latest posts

Back