I thought pop micas stayed true :( [UPDATED W/PICS]

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kittywings

Reaction score
Well I guess, they're not totally changing, but my colors are fading within around 24 hours of unmolding! The first time it happened, I figured it was because I used some TD, but this time I didn't and they're SOOO light now.

Everyone's always talking about how with pop micas you should only use a little bit, etc. but I used about 1 t/ppo and it looked really good "wet" but now... :(

Oh Kittywings! I am so sorry this is happening to you. I do know that one of the pop micas morphs to orange (the strawberry I think) but I haven't heard of them fading? I have only used the grape pop so far and the colour has stayed a nice lavender purple for me in two batches so far at 1 tsp ppo. Maybe email TKB and ask them for advice? I know other micas can be unstable in CP but I have only heard good things about the pop micas. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Tanya :)

That's interesting. My first batch using raspberry pop mica was very faint. I blamed my white mica I'd put in. My second batch used grape pop mica and it's a lovely color! I used 1/4 tsp (packed) ppo for that batch. I'd be interested in seeing the pics for sure.

OK, here are the pix. The 2nd one is even lighter in real life vs. the pic.

DSC01072.jpg

DSC01181.jpg

Is that the raspberry pop mica?
I think the td would have something to do with it.
Is this soap gelled? Sometimes that can seem to change the colour also. I like the pink, it's not unlike the pink you get from pink clay.

It was the strawberry pop mica, but pretty much the exact same thing happened with my latest salt bars and I didn't add TD this time... then again, it might just be the salt, because I just unmolded some GM soap that I colored the same... unfortunately, I only have gotten one out of the mold. I used my new steel pipe "molds"... I coated the inside with silicone but 2 firefighters couldn't get it out!! :( I put it back in the freezer to see if that works!

:p I prefer one, two is too much of a hassle :wink: (don't ask me how I know)
Seriously, I think your soap looks very nice, Kittywings! How do you get that rustic look? Mine always come out totally smooth.

LOL!

Ask and you shall receive! Here's something for both of you:

ONE:

n600144342_874398_335.jpg

TWO: (well if you subtract the little guy)

DSC02705.jpg

dagmar88 said:
:lol: What's your man doing with the eyebrow and hands ? The guy in the back is indeed very pleasant on the eyes 8)

Who the hell knows! Probably some kind of joke from their elementary school days... he was was drunk OFF HIS ASS in this pic!

I think I'm right about the "old school" hand gesture... here's a pic from the day before of your boyfriend, Stefan, doing the same thing while hiking Rangitoto:

DSC00723.jpg

:D what a breathtaking... area :p
Grrrr, finally, after weeks of having no inspiration whatsoever, I was totally focused on my boring business plan. Can't focus while watching man candy! Evil girl! :twisted:

:twisted:

Ok, back to "TOPIC." LOL

So DH alone tried to get the GM out of the mold (after I put it in the freezer again... hadn't tried getting it out yet, the previously referenced one was in my regular square pvc mold), it popped right out! YAY! So far, the color has stayed true! (fingers crossed)

The salt bar in the other pipe WILL NOT BUDGE! DH had me stand on top of it (the pipe) while he hit it (the soap) with a hammer... NADA!

I'm trying to brainstorm how to get it out...

I'm wondering if the salt is what's changing the color....?

:? First freeze it and then pour some boiling water on top?

And next time rub some vaseline in...
my saltbars are always lighter in color.

shannon,

the strawberry pop mica is the only one that is not cp safe. not sure about other methods, but according to tkb, the soap safe kit does not include the strawberry.

btw, you're a goofy nut :D
also, i know what that hand gesture means around these parts. won't get into it, but it's a poke at all the gang signs by "crackers"

i'm sorry, I know you've checked this but I have to ask...

its not just ash on the outside is it? If you cut it is the bar still that pale colour?

Saltysteele said:
shannon,

the strawberry pop mica is the only one that is not cp safe. not sure about other methods, but according to tkb, the soap safe kit does not include the strawberry.

btw, you're a goofy nut :D
also, i know what that hand gesture means around these parts. won't get into it, but it's a poke at all the gang signs by "crackers"

LOL, they're in New Zealand, but I have the feeling that it's the same meaning.

Interesting about the strawberry pop... I've heard (after buying, of course) that it morphs orange. Strange though, because my goat milk bar is pretty pink still as of now.

Latest posts

Back