I ran out of Sodium Lactate...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
...about two months ago and didn't replace it because I was watching my pennies at the time. I can honestly say I do not miss it one little bit! I even made some soap in rose-shaped cavity molds (which is when I would certainly always want to include it to help unmolding) and it didn't make any difference.

Thank you - that's one less thing that I will have to spend money on in future.

Yeah, I got some because it seems to take forever for my soap to harden enough to get it out of the mold. Not sure it's doing anything.

For me, it depends on the season. In the winter I can get away with no SL. In the humid summer I can't get the soap out of the mold cleanly without it.

I posted a while back about how I was "giving up" SL because it wasn't making a difference in my unmolding experience and not worth the extra cost. But then it became summer and all of my corners were sticking inside the molds, so I went back to using it. Now I just use it all the time because I don't want to change labels depending on the season lol.

But if I happen to run out I don't fret about it, I just omit it. It is nice to have but not devastating if I am out.

For me, it depends on the season. In the winter I can get away with no SL. In the humid summer I can't get the soap out of the mold cleanly without it.

I posted a while back about how I was "giving up" SL because it wasn't making a difference in my unmolding experience and not worth the extra cost. But then it became summer and all of my corners were sticking inside the molds, so I went back to using it. Now I just use it all the time because I don't want to change labels depending on the season lol.

But if I happen to run out I don't fret about it, I just omit it. It is nice to have but not devastating if I am out.
That's a good point - I ran out at the end of summer.

I stopped using SL bc it was creating chalky corners and edges. With my recipe (high P + S, and high lye concentration), I can usually unmold pretty quickly and cleanly anyway.

I still keep it around as a key ingredient for LS, certain B&B recipes, and the occasional batch of fluid HP.

I stopped using SL bc it was creating chalky corners and edges. With my recipe (high P + S, and high lye concentration), I can usually unmold pretty quickly and cleanly anyway.

I still keep it around as a key ingredient for LS, certain B&B recipes, and the occasional batch of fluid HP.
Thank you for this, I’ve been finding the same-chalky corners, etc and was wondering where they were coming from :) I’ll check my P and S levels.

Hi All, I realize this thread is a few months old but am wondering what P and S levels are. As a new comer I am constantly referring to the acronyms posted in the beginner forum but I didn't see anything for just P and S. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back