I need help getting back into candle making again....

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Healinya

Reaction score
I bought hundreds and hundreds of dollars on candle making supplies, only to find it too hard for me, so I moved on to soaps. But I hate that I have so much stuff for candles, a lot unused and unopened. I did read thru the threads here, but in case I missed a few I want to ask what I did wrong.

My problem is I *always* had a little line mark from where I topped the candle off after the well was formed. I thought I did it right every time, used a heat gun to melt the top, it just always left a little line and a very slight difference in color. And when it hardened after I topped off the well, there was always a 'ripple' on the top of it. And the last problem I had, unless I made a tealight, the burning candle always had a one in diameter of meling wax, while the outside stayed rock hard. I found it annoying that a small glass votive didn't melt evenly. Any advice?

Wow I think you need a bit of a candle-making education. you need to find the right combination of wax, container, and wick with the colorant and FO as confounding factors. you only get a 1" melt pool in your candle which means you HAVE THE WRONG WICK size or type.

As for your tops, well a lot of things are possibly going on. But first solve your wick problem, then worry about that!

Healinya said:
I bought hundreds and hundreds of dollars on candle making supplies, only to find it too hard for me, so I moved on to soaps. But I hate that I have so much stuff for candles, a lot unused and unopened. I did read thru the threads here, but in case I missed a few I want to ask what I did wrong.

My problem is I *always* had a little line mark from where I topped the candle off after the well was formed. I thought I did it right every time, used a heat gun to melt the top, it just always left a little line and a very slight difference in color. And when it hardened after I topped off the well, there was always a 'ripple' on the top of it. And the last problem I had, unless I made a tealight, the burning candle always had a one in diameter of meling wax, while the outside stayed rock hard. I found it annoying that a small glass votive didn't melt evenly. Any advice?

I'm glad that your getting back into wax.Don't worry about asking questions.someone else might have the same question,and might be too shy to ask themselves :)

I do have a few questions for you though,it will help along the way.

Do you still have the information available on the type of wax you used?
Dun say soy! :) Just kidding,....if that's what you used :)

What type of wick were you using ? Some waxes require specially made wicks for that brand.

Were you making votives or container candles?

That line you mentioned is where you did your last pour, easy remedy for that is, on the next pour,have the wax pour temp slightly higher then the last pour you made.

The votive you mentioned seems as though the wick was too small for the votive wick Did it have a low to nothing flame and leave sides on the votive?. If so try a larger size that's made to work with the type of wax your using.

Once the wax and wicking is worked out the rest is a breeze. :)

Best of luck.

Munky.

Munk said it much nicer than I did.

if it's any consolation I have a whole stack of candle making stuff in my garage... I'm planning on listing it someday.

soap is easy. candles is hard.

A lot of what I have came from The Candle Chemistry store... but a fair amount also came from joann fabrics, including the paraffin. I was using a mix of paraffin and beeswax, plus whatever else the directions said. This is the book I bought that started the whole candle/soapmaking hobby http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Candle ... 521/?itm=5

I'd say I made around 20 candles before giving up, all different sizes, one was even a giant yin yang. The wick I have used for them is Yaley Large Zinc Core Wire (Lead Free) for candles 3" to 4" diameter. Naive of me, but when I bought it I thought it looked huge and was worried about it being too big. And yes, a very small flame that even went out on its own a few times, on a couple anyway. I literally went to Joann Fabrics after leaving Barnes and Noble with my new book of what looked like simple candles (again naive, but if I don't learn the hard way I don't learn at all lol)

I did and inventory check - I forgot I had some of that. A big bucket of gel wax, gallons or sea shells and marbles and other items. I never even tried the gel candles cuz the regular ones got me annoyed. Never would have guessed that making soap would be so much easier.

ETA: Also, the couple candles I made that were larger than 4" thick, I put two or three wicks in.

Healinya said:

My problem is I *always* had a little line mark from where I topped the candle off after the well was formed. I thought I did it right every time, used a heat gun to melt the top, it just always left a little line and a very slight difference in color.

*The reason for that is when you do a top off the second pour needs to be very hot therefore meshing the two waxes together.*

And when it hardened after I topped off the well, there was always a 'ripple' on the top of it.

*Did you stick it in the freezer? Because that could be the culprit. Or if you use a votive mold with a wick pin and tried to pull the wick pin out, it might cause a ripple.*

And the last problem I had, unless I made a tealight, the burning candle always had a one in diameter of meling wax, while the outside stayed rock hard. I found it annoying that a small glass votive didn't melt evenly.

*If you ever notice most candlemakers will tell you that a votive is best burnt in a small tight votive holder. Also if the middle has sunken down in the middle, the melt pool will not burn so evenly. Try out this website! I'm not expert this is just been my experience though I have made them for four years now! LOL
http://www.peakcandle.com/basicinstructions.aspx
Any advice?

Healinya said:
A lot of what I have came from The Candle Chemistry store... but a fair amount also came from joann fabrics, including the paraffin. I was using a mix of paraffin and beeswax, plus whatever else the directions said. This is the book I bought that started the whole candle/soapmaking hobby http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Candle ... 521/?itm=5

I'd say I made around 20 candles before giving up, all different sizes, one was even a giant yin yang. The wick I have used for them is Yaley Large Zinc Core Wire (Lead Free) for candles 3" to 4" diameter. Naive of me, but when I bought it I thought it looked huge and was worried about it being too big. And yes, a very small flame that even went out on its own a few times, on a couple anyway. I literally went to Joann Fabrics after leaving Barnes and Noble with my new book of what looked like simple candles (again naive, but if I don't learn the hard way I don't learn at all lol)

I did and inventory check - I forgot I had some of that. A big bucket of gel wax, gallons or sea shells and marbles and other items. I never even tried the gel candles cuz the regular ones got me annoyed. Never would have guessed that making soap would be so much easier.

ETA: Also, the couple candles I made that were larger than 4" thick, I put two or three wicks in.

Thank you for the info it really helps to sort it out..

Zinc core wick is for votives or container candles. Oh yeah and floaters..The wick also needs to be prepped and tabbed and the proper size for the votives or the containers.. What size was yours? was it pre prepped for you.You can tell if it was by feeling it between your thumb and index finger..Raw you will feel the wick it'self.. treated,you will feel the waxy coating..

The other candles you mentioned.I'm assuming that you made pillars.Those big babbies!......well no wonder they didn't burn right you poor thing.. Votive wick isn't for those...you need wick for molded candles... depending again on the size of the mold....you would need to start with a #1 to a #3 square braided wick.they come pretreated for you,or you can do that yourself...One wick for a 3" to 4" candle will do ;) unless the mold it'self has the multi wick holes... You will know :)

That's a general guideline,not knowing what additives were put into your wax.Some make it harder,some make the wax softer..

If you can give me the the votive wick size you used, wax type,I know you said paraffin.. melt point is needed to pinpoint exactly where the problem lies..If you don't have that dun worry about it.. What did the final candle look like solid color..or did it have a snowflake look?

It's a great hobby and not as hard as it seems.Soaping is harder.. Lye scares me!

A little patience goes a long way.

I hope I haven't confused you,(No you're not naive either!) I just have my way of explaining,or teaching,but I do eventually get my point across.And usually get someone besides me their own (Monkey on the back) All puns intended ;)

Munky.

It looks like my biggest problem was assuming that it was all pretty similar, and that it didn't matter the size and detail for me to do it right. And of course, I never typed 'candle making forum' into google.. just going by a few books. They never had a snowflake look, unless I was adding snowflake oil (mottling I think is the technical name?)

Thank you very much for explaining all that - it made sense and Im grateful :) I'm inspired again, but I'm gonna read up the forums for a couple weeks before I start melting anything lol.

Wow I think you need a bit of a candle-making education.

I imagine we all need a bit of education here & there. I doubt any of us knows it all.

Glad you found your inspiration Healinya!

Tabitha said:
Wow I think you need a bit of a candle-making education.

I imagine we all need a bit of education here & there. I doubt any of us knows it all.

Glad you found your inspiration Healinya!
I didn't mean it to sound that harsh. I apologize.

Healinya said:
It looks like my biggest problem was assuming that it was all pretty similar, and that it didn't matter the size and detail for me to do it right. And of course, I never typed 'candle making forum' into google.. just going by a few books. They never had a snowflake look, unless I was adding snowflake oil (mottling I think is the technical name?)

Thank you very much for explaining all that - it made sense and Im grateful :) I'm inspired again, but I'm gonna read up the forums for a couple weeks before I start melting anything lol.

Np,happy to do it.. :)
Helps always just a post away.

Good luck.

Munky.

Back