I made my first soap yesterday, Hi, I'm Mike.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hushnel

Reaction score
I'm Mike, I'm often mistaken as a skilled craftsman, even by close friends,who should know better "o) I'm focused, but I tend to wander from craft to craft, or skill to skill.

I just made up my first batch of soap yesterday, I'm pretty sure it turned out OK, even if it's a bit ugly. As I searched the web for "The book" on soap making it popped into my poor abused mind to find a forum on the subject, sorry, you guys got chosen "o)

2695317360033885154S600x600Q85.jpg

So, ugly soap still works, I poured it into a wax paper lined cardboard box, I learned two things, wax paper is not going to work and I don't like the cardboard box mold. I looked at the molds offered on the web then went out to my workshop and banged out this adjustable soap mold.
2832474150033885154S600x600Q85.jpg

My wife of 27 years and I have just bought a beautiful 21.2 acre Florida Cracker Farm built in 1886 just out side of Lake City Florida. I retire from my day job with 30 years of service in 8 months. My skills and crafts are mostly traditional. I started playing musical instruments at 7 years of age, I still play and always have so it's kind of natural that I would make my own instruments, unfortunately it's hard to keep that a secret, forcing me to make instruments for others, even though I try my best to discourage this behavior in others with outrageous pricing "o)

So other than that I spin, weave, knit, felt, do custom leather work, spin pottery, make knives, iron work, bake, woodwork, baskets, ships in bottles, glass engraving and stuff along those lines. We do a lot of canoeing, wilderness camping, I hunt and fish, we sail and put a bunch of miles every year on one of two Harleys.

Hope I didn't over do this introduction, I just wanted to let y'all know a few things about me.

I'm going to go brows around the forum know and mine information.

Great job on the mold! Your first soap looks great for a first soap :)
I'm glad you found us. This new hobby will be a really fun (and sometimes challenging) journey for you.

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the forum! :D

Your first soap looks great. Mine looked about the same and you will get better over time.

You're a busy and talented man. I feel like such a slacker. :lol:

Thanks Hazel,

You're a busy and talented man. I feel like such a slacker.

Well it can be a problem, I was toasting pecans this morning from my pecan trees up on the farm for a pie recipe I'm trying to perfect for Thanksgiving, while making my second batch of soap. Some times multi-tasking can result in over toasted pecans "o)

Thanks BG, not totally conventional instruments but they sound good and are a little different.
This is a banjo ukulele made with a gourd.
2510887520033885154S600x600Q85.jpg

This Uke was made on a Chinese bottle gourd, spruce top.
2471328700033885154S600x600Q85.jpg

Then I had all these cigar boxes laying around. These actually sound like upright basses
2359263790033885154S600x600Q85.jpg

Made this for a buddy, Albert Castglia.
2635887440033885154S600x600Q85.jpg

On my bench behind the soap mold above you can see the cigar box ukulele I'm finishing up.

This is more of a traditional electric bass. The fist one I made too.

1037446571033885154S600x600Q85.jpg

Wow! I'm very impressed. My brother made his own electric guitar and it took him a long time. The only one he ever made. :lol: So I can slightly understand all the time and workmanship that goes into making instruments.

Thanks again Hazel, part of it is my compulsion to keep my hands busy. Now I can keep my clean hands busy "o)

Thanks Jenny, wanna see the shawl I knit for my wife a few years ago? I can't wait to move up to the farm full time and start raising sheep, free wool for the wheel, loom and needles "o)

1516089387033885154S600x600Q85.jpg

Instruments are easy compared to the leaf lace shawl pattern.

The shawl is gorgeous! Now I'm super impressed because I was lousy at knitting and crocheting. I could never keep the tension even.

Yep..yep...I'm a slacker. :lol:

hushnel said:
Thanks Jenny, wanna see the shawl I knit for my wife a few years ago? I can't wait to move up to the farm full time and start raising sheep, free wool for the wheel, loom and needles "o)

1516089387033885154S600x600Q85.jpg

Instruments are easy compared to the leaf lace shawl pattern.

That is just a fine piece of work Mike. Is there anything you can't do? :wink:

Is there anything you can't do?

Well I've never been satisfied with my effort at painting with water colors. I may take lessons some day if I can ever find the time.

Wanna see my leather work "o) I've been doing this stuff for near 30 years.

1465744227033885154S600x600Q85.jpg

Oh my goodness- I didn't see this thread until just now and all I can say is WOW! You sure are a very gifted man with an eye for careful detail no matter what you put your hand to. I am very impressed. (I feel like such a slacker now, too!) I have no doubt that you will do just as well at soap. Welcome to the addiction!

IrishLass :)

Thank you, IrishLass. So far I haven't experienced any problems but I'm only at two batches. At least the south Florida/Everglades humidity doesn't effect soap making, it wreaks tempering chocolate "o)

Beautiful items. You do have an eye for detail and obvious patience.

My first soap, a castille type, looked alot like yours :)

My knitting/crocheting on the other hand looks nothing like your wonderful shawl.

Thanks for sharing.

Sharna

Latest posts

Back