I have a question for those of you that set up at farmers markets, craft fairs, etc..

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soapsbysonja

Reaction score
Have you ever had a set up with water for people to try your soaps? If so how did you do it?

Sent from my iPad using Soap Making

Following, I have thought about how to do this as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Soap Making mobile app

Nope, I have seen a soapmaker do this and it was not a pretty site. They had a large bowl to catch the water and a spigot water dispenser. You can imagine the scum in the bowl after several people used it. Yuck! Talking about discouraging someone to buy handmade soap. I keep small pieces if someone wants to try the soap in the restroom. Plus the inconvience of carting the extra items and setting up at market. When doing markets more than once a week any extras to unpack and pack become very pesky

What I've done is provide samples that they can take into the bathroom to try. Not that anyone did...one took a bunch home.

If there's restrooms available (not port-a-potties), I set up a sample bar in there for people to try. I use 2 plastic trays that you get for putting under flower pots, one nesting in the other. On top of the bottom tray is my business card, then the other plastic tray on top of that, and the soap in that try. Works pretty well.

I put sample bottles of my liquid soap in the bathroom with a sign to the effect of "handcrafted soap provided by Secondimpression's soap company, stop by our table for $1 off any soap when you mention you tried it and loved it!" It has definitely earned me a few customers and made many an Avon/Mary Kay/Arbonne representative quite jealous for not thinking of it.

I would never set up a demo at my table, people already make a gross mess out of salve, body butter and lip balms, no thanks on adding scummy water to the mess!

Sent from my XT907 using Soap Making mobile app

I put sample bottles of my liquid soap in the bathroom with a sign to the effect of "handcrafted soap provided by Secondimpression's soap company, stop by our table for $1 off any soap when you mention you tried it and loved it!" It has definitely earned me a few customers

Great thinking Second Impression

Sent from my iPod touch using Soap Making app.
My blog: http://soapmakingadvice.com

** BEWARE ** when leaving samples in washrooms, I did this at our market and someone put small nails in it, thank God no one got cut, the market cook found it. I have small samples now that they can do with what they want.

Last edited:
I set up at one of out local farmers markets regularly and I never thought of setting up a washing station. No one has even asked me about it either. sometimes have unscented samples that I give out if someone is unsure about buying.

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

** BEWARE ** when leaving samples in washrooms, I did this at our market and someone put small nails in it, thank God no one got cut, the market cook found it. I have small samples now that they can do with what they want.

Holy geez...People sure can be twisted little beings. I wonder what drives the mind to do garbage like that.

I know Cara cara I was so shocked and the market is in a church no less..

Yikes! How can a person do that knowing that someone is going to get hurt! For what!!?? Crazy

Back