I call thee my halloween soap monster!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanguine

Reaction score
Hii everyone!
I know I've been inactive for a while now but finally found my way back to the forum. I have made a few soaps in the past months, of which I will post picture when my camera is back from reparation (stupid sand in the lens...).
This soap I just had to show you so I took a pic with my ipad, not the greatest quality...

This ladies and gentlemen is my soap monster! Teeth and everything!

foto.JPG by Ileandra, on Flickr

I made it sunday and started cutting it tuesday. One slice... Not bad... Second slice... Oil flood! According to soapqueen it's a heat tunnel and it is harmless, I didn't really thrust the harmless part so I rebatched it with adding extra oil, +- the amount I lost. To bad I didn't thrust it as it would have made a nice halloween soap. Just a bit oily...

There doesn't appear to be much info on heat tunnels, there's more about volcanos. But what makes the tunnel and what the volcano?
I soaped at my usual soap temp., which is pretty hot as I like to prevent those tiny white flecks. It was also the first time I used goatsmilk powder which probably has to do with it to. I used cherry blossom FO, used it before without any problems. Maybe it was the combo... The other issue would have been my dad's solution. I use a silicone mold, and as most of you know, it doesn't keep it's shape without help. I tried many things, big books, milk containers, bricks,... But it never kept the rectangle shape over the entire mold. Told my dad about it, he looked at it and whipped something up for me:

foto.JPG by Ileandra, on Flickr

It defenitely kept it's form this way, but I think the wood is to thick, which made it very hard for the heat to get out even though nothing was covering it.

This was the recipe I used:

Goatsmilk recipe by Ileandra, on Flickr

Does anyone of you have had any experience with heat tunnels?
Thanks for watching!

Yup, Ive had that happen on a couple batches. Love your name for it, and i agree, that would have made a great halloween soap. :)

Hi Sanguine,

It's good to see you back on the forum. :grin:

Awesome looking soap for Halloween and I love the name, too. I've never experienced a heat tunnel so I don't know what to tell you. I'm not sure how one forms as compared to soap that becomes a volcano. I'll have think about it plus see if I can dig up some info. I have had batches overheat which I believed was just a bad combo of soaping at too high of a temp, additives like honey, cream, FO contributing to heat and insulating the loaves too well. I went and looked at soapqueen's article about heat tunnels and she said the same thing. So, I agree with you when you said it might have resulted from a combination.

Hopefully, someone will see your post and be able to give an answer.

If one could be absolutely sure that they are safe, and find out how to make them, we can make halloween soaps :p.
To bad they are so oily, i didn't even consider a zap test...

Call me a soap pervert, but quite honesty, I think those are awesome looking soaps!
And I believe that the issue was caused by overheating. I've had something similar happen to me a couple of months ago.

Back