Husband just got diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Big hugs to you, my husband was diagnosed about 2 months ago. It's so rough at the beginning trying to figure everything out. It was actually a huge relief for us when he was diagnosed because he was so sick. Does your doctors office offer any diabetes 'classes'? Ours did and it was a huge help.

Big hugs to you, my husband was diagnosed about 2 months ago. It's so rough at the beginning trying to figure everything out. It was actually a huge relief for us when he was diagnosed because he was so sick. Does your doctors office offer any diabetes 'classes'? Ours did and it was a huge help.
He's supposed to see a diabetic counselor next week. We've been doing alot of internet research which has helped. It's alot of information.

He took the first ozempic last night and said it didn't hurt. This morning his blood sugar was 255 which is lower than it was a few days ago. He said the lance didn't hurt at all but his finger is sensitive after. Luckily apparently the lance can be used on the palm of your hand and your arm as well. Supposedly they're supposed to be less sensitive places.

At least he likes the foods he will have to eat even if he prefers things like steak, hamburgers and pizza. I'm going to have a harder time than he is since I'm really picky.

He's supposed to see a diabetic counselor next week. We've been doing alot of internet research which has helped. It's alot of information.

He took the first ozempic last night and said it didn't hurt. This morning his blood sugar was 255 which is lower than it was a few days ago. He said the lance didn't hurt at all but his finger is sensitive after. Luckily apparently the lance can be used on the palm of your hand and your arm as well. Supposedly they're supposed to be less sensitive places.

At least he likes the foods he will have to eat even if he prefers things like steak, hamburgers and pizza. I'm going to have a harder time than he is since I'm really picky.
Dh, is a type 2 diabetic, has been for a long time, only on tablets, until he went to a endocrinologist about 1 1/2 yrs ago and suggest he try ozempic. He was only able to get 2 doses as it became unavailable due to people using it to lose weight. The chemist only can get 3 lots in at a time, 1 for a diabetic patient and 2 for dieting patients. Because of this he's back on the tablets. Chemists just can't get enough to supply diabetic patients. Dh jabbed his ozempic in his stomach, said doesn't hurt.

My husband deals with type 2 also and after a year of having diarrhea after every meal his doctor tried a few different medications before landing on Ozempic. He's so happy now ~ not only is his blood sugar levelized but he can eat without running to the bathroom! He's been on it for almost a year now and rarely checks his blood sugar level, he says he can tell now so he know when to eat or not eat or what he should and shouldn't eat. So take comfort, the ride will smooth out, just ride the waves 🌊🚣

I’m so sorry, that’s a tough diagnosis to receive 😞.

I hope you’re both able to get into the diabetes class soon because it will help you realize that there are many ways to tweak and change your diet that don’t involve giving up everything you enjoy. Finding a Registered Dietitian experienced in treating T2DM will be key and they are worth their weight in gold! (I’m an RN for clients with End Stage Kidney Disease on dialysis, so about 60% of them have diabetes). Also, keep reminding yourselves that your husband is not now a ‘diabetic’, he’s a person with diabetes and it doesn’t have to define him.

Sugar seems to be in everything.
Actually, it's not. I'm not diabetic but I gave up sugar 4 years ago after my DH died. I cleaned out all the the junk food, chips, cookies, candies, popsicles, booze, etc. Started walking. I read labels. I don't eat sugar or sugar substitutes like aspertame that is in so many diet products. It's worse for you than actual sugar, doncha know? The sweet herb stevia is a good option for most things like Lemonade that need a little sweetener.

Four months later, I was 35 pounds lighter and felt better than ever overall.

Unfortunately, at 80 years old, due to 3 years of living alone, with no support system, in virtual solitary confinement due to COVID, I'm too frail to exercise. That sucks. I'm working to get my strength back but I know it will take time.

I don't miss sugar at all, although it is hard to resist when a neighbor offers me a cookie or a piece of cherry pie!!!

I’m sorry to hear that. My mom had type 2. She was quite large and I remember when I was a little girl, she would buy big bags of candy at the store. Bring them home and gorge. So when she was diagnosed she made major lifestyle changes. She lost 100 lbs! I believe that extended her lifetime. Exercise and careful diet can make the difference. I used to modify recipes when I brought them to her house, or go onto the diabetes association website.

Unfortunately, at 80 years old, due to 3 years of living alone, with no support system, in virtual solitary confinement due to COVID, I'm too frail to exercise. That sucks. I'm working to get my strength back but I know it will take time.
I wish I was in CO but please accept a virtual hug instead.

Have you looked into physical therapy as an option? Because I live three hours ahead of my work colleagues I scheduled my three times a week physical therapy appts (needed to rehab my ankle) early in the morning on week days and it was hopping there with seniors doing mild stretching and exercises and getting gentle therapeutic massages!

Actually, it's not. I'm not diabetic but I gave up sugar 4 years ago after my DH died. I cleaned out all the the junk food, chips, cookies, candies, popsicles, booze, etc. Started walking. I read labels. I don't eat sugar or sugar substitutes like aspertame that is in so many diet products. It's worse for you than actual sugar, doncha know? The sweet herb stevia is a good option for most things like Lemonade that need a little sweetener.

Four months later, I was 35 pounds lighter and felt better than ever overall.

I don't miss sugar at all, although it is hard to resist when a neighbor offers me a cookie or a piece of cherry pie!!!
I would never have guessed you're that old in a million years so you must be doing something right. Next time you're at walmart look for Lakanta brand sugar replacement. It's a monkfruit and erythritol blend that tastes fantastic but is not sugar.

monkfruit and erythritol blend that tastes fantastic but is not sugar.
Thanks.gif

Have you looked into physical therapy as an option?
Yes. Thanks for asking. I saw a PT a month or so ago. He had nothing to offer for group exercises. Just a video of exercises I can do at home. Where's the fun in that?!!!

Thanks for the virtual hug. Back atcha.
🥰

Latest posts

Back