HP Soap Not Setting - Help

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.A

Reaction score
Hi guys!
Im new to soap making. I did a lot of reading, watched a lot of video tutorial but MY SOAP IS NOT SETTING. :(

Im doing crock pot hp method.

Recipe as follows:
425 ml VCO
75 ml VCO (superfat 15%)
78 g caustic soda flakes
190 ml water

I add the superfat when the batter is light & fluffy with 7-9ph on thr strip.

It's been 24hrs in the mold but i dont see any changes on the consistency-- still paste-like or petroleum jelly-like.

I tried scooping a bit to try and use, it worked already as soap. BUT WHY IS IT NOT SETTING?

Heeeeelp. :(

Does your caustic soda have a ingredient list. Almost sounds like it could be potassium hydroxide which is used to make soft/liquid soap.

Welcome to the forum! I agree with Obsidian - does the bottle say Potassium hydroxide (used for making liquid soap) or sodium hydroxide (bar soap).

I have never soaped with VCO - I assume virgin coconut oil? I use refined coconut oil. I wouldn't THINK it would cause this kind of problem, but perhaps there is a bit of water in it? 190 is on the higher end of water, and if there was some in the VCO, that could be too much?

"...does the bottle say Potassium hydroxide..."

Or caustic potash. That is another common name for potassium hydroxide (KOH).

"...190 is on the higher end of water..."

For cold process soap, I agree. But not so much for hot process, which is what the OP is doing. I might use as much as 235 grams of water with 78 g of NaOH for typical HP.

He says it was "caustic soda flakes"; that would be Sodium Hydroxide, Potassium Hydroxide (potash) is never called "caustic soda".

Sometimes we grab the wrong bottle, without realizing it. On occasion, soapers have accidentally bought the wrong lye/caustic without realizing and had this happen.

Another couple of possibilities:

Are you confident in the accuracy of your scale? Can you check it out to see if it is accurate, via a calibration? (link) If that is not the problem, perhaps user error (error in weights for one reason or another.) Also read that link for some cautions about using a scale to get the most accurate readings.

Caustic was exposed to too much humidity or room air prior to use. Lye is like a magnet for water. Left open, a bottle of lye will draw moisture from the air, which in a humid environment, could be quite a lot of moisture, thus decreasing its 'purity' over time. If the lye was in clumps, suspect moisture was clinging to your lye and your caustic weight included water.

Hi everyone!
I appreciate all your replies.

My soap hasn't set until now. I stopped trials as i dont wanna waste any of my oils anymore.

The flakes weren't clumped and is stored in an airtight container.

I actually called up my lye supplier and raised the result Ive been getting (might be a mix up on their end when repacking). They said theyre investigating this.

Thinking of trying again but this time using the higher saponification value of fractionated coconut oil (because i might have been ripped off by my oil supplier when i ordered bulk).

Currently using 38% water on my formulation. What is the safe discount parameter? (Just to take account of the absorbed moisture by the lye if there is).

Back