HP Goat milk soap recipe help

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluecheetah

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I’m trying to come up with a recipe using these ingredients to make HP goat milk soap for my son with autism. I’ve only made soap a few times and the calculator I’m trying to use is not giving me the correct info. I have 5lb molds and would love to make this soap for him, as the place I buy it from now is really expensive. Thanks so much.

Coconut Oil
Sunflower Seed Oil
Safflower Oil
Olive Oil
Rice Bran Oil
Goat Milk
Citrus - orange juice
Essential Oils or Fragrances.

First.. Do you need to use all of the stuff listed? You can easily make a good soap even if you don't...

Second, are you open to other fats n liquids? I'd add a hard fat if it was my recipe.. Like soy wax and/or a butter or two.

Third, is your safflower and sunflower high, or at least mid oleic? If they are low oleic your chances of rancidity are higher.

Fourth, would you be open to trying a small batch? Maybe don't fill the mold or use something small and recycled?

And also, I'm curious, any particular reason you wanna HP this instead of CP? I HP and I prefer it unless I wanna try some swirl technique so I'm always curious when someone wants to HP something lol

Dawni

Thanks for you help. I’ve only ever made HP soap so I’m unfamiliar with CP. Plus I like not having to wait forever to use CP.

I really wanted to use these ingredients as my son has allergies and these exact ingredients do well with him.

With those available I would probably do a 80% olive oil 20% coconut but you could break it down like 50% olive oil 10%RBO 10% safflower 10% sunflower 20% coconut. What is the orange juice for? Mostly that would just increase the super fat and add sodium citrate to the batch, which isnt a bad thing, but I'm curious.

What kind of scents does your son like?

Without any stearic, and if it's a high olive oil soap, it'll take ages of curing before it's a great soap that won't finish off in a week in the shower. Maybe less if a kid uses it lol (I know this from experience haha)

Also, HP does better with a longer cure too, not just CP so you'll still have to wait around regardless. Like I said, I cure my soaps, both CP or HP, for a minimum of 2mos. I use em before that for testing, but there's a difference in lather, hardness and longevity, if you let it cure at least a month. More if it's high olive...

Personally I don't use more than 30% olive oil, and mostly I combine it equal parts of RBO like maybe 20-20, and sometimes I only use RBO at 30%.

I'd also lower my coconut oil to maybe 16% this lowering my superfat also, but that's a personal preference. A lot of people use 20% with a 5% SF I think....

If your safflower and sunflower are high oleic you can use more than 10% each.

Last edited:
Hey @Bluecheetah! I actually really enjoy 20%coconut, 75%olive, 5% castor soap. It might not last as long but I don't really mind because it only gives me a reason to make more soap[emoji16] so I think you could definitely use the above suggestions of a 20% CO and dividing the other 80% over the other oils (just check your total of linoleic and linolenic in the recipe isn't more than 15%)
I do agree that cure is often longer in HP due to the extra water added.. so if you want to use the soap within a short amount of time, CP might be a better option.
Here is a really nice article on using goats milk on HP without scorching it:
http://chickensintheroad.com/house/making-perfect-hot-process-goats-milk-soap/
Good luck! [emoji16]

Depending on the age of your boy, I would use CO accordingly. For young children I do not use CO, or PKO in soap, for adults I use from 10-17% depending. For my men's type fragrances I use 17% since they seem to prefer a bit more cleansing.

Keep in mind the oil properties do not necessarily stay intact in soap after the fats are torn apart by the lye. :)lol: how about that for being scientific!!). If you can add in some lard, tallow or hard butter at 25-40% for lard and/or tallow and 10% for butter you will have a longer lasting bar that will cure in a month or two versus a high liquid oil soap that really takes longer to cure. Any of the high oleic oils such as sunflower, canola, or safflower make nice soap. RBO and Olive have almost the same properties so either will work.

Thank you everyone! I’m going to give it a try. The longevity of this soap isn’t good but I really don’t mind because our whole family loves it. I may try 20% for each oil across the board. I’ve been playing with the percentages on a calculator and no matter what I do, the longevity isn’t good which I knew it wouldn’t be.

I also like this recipe but I don’t want to use the GSE

https://lovelygreens.com/how-to-make-natural-goat-milk-soap/

Back