How would this recipe turn out?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OnePlus

Reaction score
30% coconut oil 15oz
60% olive oil 30oz
5% castor oil 2.5oz
5% mango butter 2.5oz

water is percent of oil weight: 35% 17.1oz
superfat at %5 7.1oz

How would this recipe work out? Any thoughts or changes that should be made? Thank you. I haven't worked with castor or mango butter before and was curious.

I do not make any soap without castor oil (most of my recipes have 6 - 8% in castor) and have used mango many times. They are both +'s in my soap cabinet!

I would up the castor and mango, 2 oz in that big of a batch wont do much.

I checked this on soapcalc and it's going to be a soft but very conditioning bar. Is that what you're trying to achieve?

I forgot to mention. I love mango butter! I've used it a lot in lotions and I've been wanting to try it in CP.

Any suggestions on firming up the recipe or tweaking it? One person said add more caster and mango... another that it should be firmer. I couldn't do both.

play around with your numbers on soapcalc, so YOU can see what numbers you want.

How is this:

mango butter 10%
castor oil 10%
olive oil 50%
coconut oil 30%

This hardens the bar slightly. Thoughts?

OnePlus said:
How is this:

mango butter 10%
castor oil 10%
olive oil 50%
coconut oil 30%

If you have access to lard or tallow (or Palm) I would do:
Lard 35%
Olive 30%
Coconut 20%
Castor 5%
Mango 10%

OnePlus said:
How is this:

mango butter 10%
castor oil 10%
olive oil 50%
coconut oil 30%

I don't know a lot about soap making since I only started CP back in February but I like the numbers that came up.

I like that your recipe is more conditioning. I say go for it. You just might have to let it cure longer. These percentages are close to what I would have used before I got palm oil.

Hardness (29 - 54) 37
Cleansing (12 - 22) 20
Conditioning (44 - 69) 59
Bubbly (14 - 46) 29
Creamy (16 - 48 ) 26
Iodine (41 - 70) 59
INS (136 - 165) 154

IwantItgreen mentioned lard or palm oil. Do you have either?

If you have palm oil, you could use

Palm 20%
Olive 30%
Coconut 30%
Castor 10%
Mango 10%

This would make the bar a little harder but not as conditioning.

Hardness (29 - 54) 44
Cleansing (12 - 22) 20
Conditioning (44 - 69) 52
Bubbly (14 - 46) 29
Creamy (16 - 48 ) 32
Iodine (41 - 70) 52
INS (136 - 165) 162

Or with lard

Lard 20%
Olive 30%
Coconut 30%
Castor 10%
Mango 10%

Hardness (29 - 54) 42
Cleansing (12 - 22) 20
Conditioning (44 - 69) 53
Bubbly (14 - 46) 29
Creamy (16 - 48 ) 31
Iodine (41 - 70) 53
INS (136 - 165) 161

Dont forget soapcalc doesnt take OO's eventual rockhard quality into account. With 60% I'd say it's going to be a nice firm bar :) Ive done 75 OO 20 CO 5 castor & it was great.

I have read a few times (but would love to be corrected if it's inaccurate) that olive oil by itself makes a very hard bar, but doesn't keep that hardening power when it is combined with too much other soft oil. So soapcalc doesn't actually 'lie' on the number, it just gives the default numbers.

So, I shouldn't trust soapcalc's hardness rating of 17 for olive oil?

I've always heard that some people consider olive oil's lather "slimy". So, I've always avoided using too much of it and relied more on coconut oil for hardness and bubbles.

Am I wrong?

What gekko62 said. :)

I've made all kinds of Castile-types, too- 80% OO, 75% OO, 70% OO, 60% OO, 50% OO, and they are all nice and and firm in spite what SoapCalc says. Based on my experience, I believe OnePlus's original recipe is just fine the way it is.

IrishLass :)

Go for it, OnePlus! :lol:

I'd like to hear how it turns out for you. Like I said, I've been interested in trying mango butter in CP, too.

I'm sorry about messing about with soapcalc. I was just giving you my thoughts on what I would try. I've been playing around a lot with soapcalc because I'm trying to come up with a soap recipe that makes me happy (lots of bubbles :wink: )

Back