How to translate soap recipe to ingredients list?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neeners

Reaction score
So, i'm not selling, but going to give soap away to friends and family for Christmas. I'm thinking I need to put an ingredients list, in case people are allergic or curious to know what's in the soap. How can a soap recipe be translated into a list?

For example, I have a soap recipe that is:

50% OO
25% CO
15% cocoa butter
5% shea butter
5% castor oil

saponified with NaOH

added avocado and French green clay
scented with tea tree and peppermint EO

TIA for all your help!

How about this:

Olive Oil, Goats Milk, Coconut Oil, Cocoa Butter, Castor Oil, Shea Butter, Sodium Hydroxide, Tea Tree and Peppermint essential oils, French green clay and Avocado

For gifts, I strive to elaborate the elegance. My preferred approach is to describe my soaps in the body of a letter rather than simply providing a list on a label. It varies with each soap but can include tidbits on the soap-making process & curing; highlights of the oils and their qualities; why you chose the ingredients you did for their soap; challenges in colorants/fragrances/lather; differences between EOs and FOs; your thoughts or experience with the benefits of goat milk/water substitutes/other special additives. You are not selling these so you are not constrained by FDA -- but recall I said elaborate, not exaggerate.

This approach is somewhat time consuming but is especially worth it if you are sending to multiple people or for special occasions. The recipients are no longer receiving just a bar of soap (let alone one they don't need). In fact they may never again look at soap in the same way. Who knows - they may even want more, so you can MAKE MORE SOAP SOONER.

If you do go with a label instead of a treatise, include words or phrases like: "handcrafted with love"... "from oils of x,y,z" .... or "saponified oils of x,y,z"... "essential oils of xxx for fragrance {or xxx fragrance oil for scent}".... and "xxx for colorant". I do not feel compelled to include NaOH on my labels since it does not exist in the finished bar, but if you feel more honest with that route, by all means do it.

My point is, your soap is not just a list or a product. It is a thoughtful gift from your heart that you hope will improve their life in some small way. Like it did yours.

I am super tired and need to sleep. Maybe I'm already dreaming. Can you tell??

Thanks CaraBou! that's a great point. unfortunately for me, i'm not very flowery with my words......lol. i guess i'll have to put my creative writing hat on (it's buried somewhere DEEP in the closet), and find something fun and interesting for the labels for Christmas time.....

Latest posts

Back