How to Layer Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

igbabygirl

Reaction score
I have seen soap where there are two or three layers (not swirled) and wanted to know if anyone can tell me how to do that. I also remember someone (not sure where) who made soap in a bundt mold but had a different color soap in the middle. I would love to know how to do that technique if someone is willing to show and tell.

In-Dea

I found a plastic miniature bunt mold at a yard sale.

Be sure to grease it up with vasaline. Mine still gets stuck and I have to freeze it in order to get it removed.

I have no idea what a 'bundt' is, but layers I can help with!!

To do a layered soap, I usually divide my normal batch by however many layers I want, and make each layer seperately.

For example, if I want to do 3 layers in my TOG block mold, I will divide my normal batch for the mold by 3 to get the amount of oils, lye etc for each layer. I will make the first layer & color & scent it, put it in the mold.

Then I make the batch for the 2nd layer, color & scent it & carefully pour into the mold, trying not to disturb the 1st layer too much.

I then make the batch for the 3rd layer, color & scent it & carefully pour into the mold, trying not to disturb the 2nd layer too much.

I mix each layer until thick trace before putting into the mold, so that they are kind of firm when pouring the next layer. Does that make sense? :D

LOL Becky! It may be a US things. It is the shape of the cake, circular w/ a hole in the middle.

Tabitha said:
LOL Becky! It may be a US things. It is the shape of the cake, circular w/ a hole in the middle.

That reminds me of My Big Fat Greek Wedding. The Greeks didn't know why the bundt had a hole in the middle, so they put a pot of flowers in it! :lol:

Tip for layers - My first layer I SB until its very thick trace then pour into the mold. The second layer I SB till med trace then pour over the back of a spoon to keep the soap from plopping into the bottom layer. By this time the last layer is just about ready and I also pour it over the back of a spoon.

The trick is to pour a layer, allow it to firm up so it will hold the next layer without the two swirling together...

Thank you everyone for your tips. One question, say your doing two or three layers, do you mix the whole batch to light trace and then split or do you divide your recipe up and do one layer at a time.

I have done it two different ways. The first is my making the batch and then dividing it and coloring. The other way I do for larger batches (7+lbs) is I make two seperate batches. I make a 3.5 lb batch which I color and pour and then start the next. By the time the second batch traces the first is already set....so no mixing. :)

I've just done my first layer and it's sitting in the mould. How long should I wait before pouring the 2nd? I'm new to this.

This might seem kind of stupid.. but you pour your first layer then wait to get the skin on top then pour the second and do the same correct? Now if you wanted to do swirls with the layers couldn't you just stick it with a chop stick or whatever after all three layers have been poured?

give or take.. you should see a film like on the top of the soap thats how you know.. but you want it to be a little thick so when you pour the next layer it doesn't mix right in or just drop to the bottom.. like with pudding!!

*can't spell today!

rupertspal42 said:
This might seem kind of stupid.. but you pour your first layer then wait to get the skin on top then pour the second and do the same correct? Now if you wanted to do swirls with the layers couldn't you just stick it with a chop stick or whatever after all three layers have been poured?

If the first layer is firm enough to hold the second layer, I think it would be too firm to swirl at that point.

I was going to attempt my first layer this weekend. Hope it goes well...and I also picked up 2 bundt mould from Vinnies for a dollar...BARGAIN!

And HI Becky...I'm a Queenslander too!! I love seeing other people close by one here! :)

When I have done my layers, I have divided up the batch into four, oils and lye separately, by weight, then mixed one lot to heavy trace, poured, then let it sit in a low oven, wait till it's hard enough to not swallow up the next layer, then do the next, and proceed. Just make sure you are really accurate with your weights.
I read somewhere that if you let it sit in the low oven it will ensure that your layers will stay together. Otherwise they might separate after the soap has set KWIM?

In a low oven? What is this you speak of? haha Now I was thinking about if you let the bottom layer set to long and then your layers don't want to "stick" together if that would happen or not... hmm

Back