How to color cold process soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pocalucha

Reaction score
I know to add color to the soap there are different methods and types as:

1. Dyes.
2. Pigments (Iron oxides, ultramarines)
3. Micas
4. Natural colorants (herbs, spices and clays)

I also know that I can use different diluents such as Water, oil and liquid glycerin.

But I have not been able to achieve How much colorant should I use per pound of oils? or an amount that you can suggest me.

When I dilute my color in water or oil or liquid glycerin?

Some tips can you give me I should consider?

or if you can suggest me a tutorial or link that I can give more information.

thanks

To be honest with you coloring soap is a trial and error type of thing (as well as personal preference). Manufacturers will give you starting guidelines to use and usage directions for dilluting and such.

I find that micas do the best for me. I love TKB. I use a popsickle stick to scoop out the mica (1 scoop per 1 pounds of oils) and add it at trace. I guess it would be about 1/8-1/4 tsp.

If I'm doing multiple colors I'll add a bit of hot water to individual containers and add the mica to each one. Mix and then divide up my soap batter.

If you have a specific questions about a specific product/type of colorant you might get more responses to your question. But it's a bit general the way you asked.

thank you very much for your reply . I have just received Lab colors, I would appreciate to give me some indications that amounts must be added to a batch of 2lb.

I am in Canada ,We appreciate if someone told me where I could get locally TKB micas.

Thanks

Colorant

Try to melt 1/4 crayon in your hot oil. Use Crayola only others dont melt well.

BLT

Re: Colorant

blt said:
Try to melt 1/4 crayon in your hot oil. Use Crayola only others dont melt well.

BLT

I didn't think you could use crayons for soap coloring?????

I wouldnt use crayons, but I have used the cheap michaels soap color, it does work. Its 5$ for 3 colors. I do like the liquid color from ng, it works nice, and not too spendy.

Latest posts

Back