How to clean up a bucket of lye solution?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orangeblossom

Reaction score
So, I have a bucket of lye that volcanoed on me (I was too tired to make soap, and quit after the volcano).
So now, I have a bucket of unknown proportions of lye:water.

Do I dump a bunch of vinegar in it? (That's how I cleaned up the volcano all around).
This is has never happened to me before. I feel like I should know how to dispose of this, but I've never looked into it before, since I"ve never messed up like this before.

Well, I can only say my sinks and drains are spotless.
Lye solution still gives the pipes I good clean, so any excess lye I toss in the kitchen sink or shower...
:p probably not a good idea when you're connected to a septic tank.

Don't just dump in vinegar or younwill end up with another volcano.
Pour it down the drain.

My Hubby who has to work with safety...hazards etc... has always reminded me...
The SOLUTION to POLLUTION is DILUTION.
So if you're overly worried, try adding water to the solution and dilute it down a bit before you dispose of it.

I love that Nattynoo!

We used to 'freedom camp' with our kids at least once a year and it was a great way for them to learn that what we put down our drains comes back either in the water we drink, the fish that's eaten or crops that we grow for food for animals or us.

I now have a 'bio cycle spetic', which means everything I put down any drains in the house is recycled onto my garden. I'm a raw vegan and I grow most of what eat ... which makes me think carefully before anything goes down a drain.

Back