How Serious Are You About Soap Making?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J-Soaper

Reaction score
Is it just something you do for fun sometimes?
Do you just use pots, pans, and utensils you already owned and use for cooking?
Do you make your soap in your kitchen?
Do you like to try things and see how it turns out? Maybe you keep some sort of log of what you've tried -- maybe you don't.
Do you make soap to give away as gifts?
Have you sold a few bar here and there?
Do you keep a careful log of everything you've tried with pictures of and notes about the final product?
Are you totally into the science and chemistry of soap making?
Did you buy all special equipment specifically for making soap that is kept completely separate from all other similar equipment?
Do you have a separate room or even a separate building for making soap?
Do you make your living making and selling soap?

I'm serious about it - but i still use my kitchen so have to fit in around meal prep. I am allowed (!) one cupboard for my soap bowls/jugs spatulas and stickblender. I do have a craft room though (bedroom number 4) - where I do my other crafts, and there are big shelves in there for curing/storing soap and soap making equipment.
Whilst I find the chemistry side of it very interesting, and necessary, it's the artistry that lures me more. Having said that, I have found that too much artistry (as in something really complicated) can be time consuming and sometimes wasteful if i don't produce a product that is still saleable.
I keep full records of everything I make, although not with photos and notes over time ( 1 year, two years for the same bar etc). Just full enough for me to reproduce and not use naughty FOs again.
I make enough money to supplement my spending money but I could never make enough to replace my day job - otherwise I'd be there doin' it in a flash!

Is it just something you do for fun sometimes? sometimes just for fun, yes.
Do you just use pots, pans, and utensils you already owned and use for cooking? I started out that way, but now it is mostly dedicated equipment.
Do you make your soap in your kitchen? Yes, but I am in the midst of changing that to my craft room now that I have a craft table.
Do you like to try things and see how it turns out? Maybe you keep some sort of log of what you've tried -- maybe you don't. Yes, I like to try things. I've gotten better about logging my soap recipes. Body butters, lotion bars, and shampoo bars, not so much, since I don't have a program for it.
Do you make soap to give away as gifts? Well, I give it away as gifts because I make so much soap! :D But yes, if I know someone likes receiving my soap as a gift, or asks me to make it as as a gift they can give to someone, I love doing that.
Have you sold a few bar here and there? Yes, mostly for cost of ingredients, although I'm in the midst of putting together something more formal.
Do you keep a careful log of everything you've tried with pictures of and notes about the final product? I'm getting better about putting notes into SMFriend once I've put the batch to bed.
Are you totally into the science and chemistry of soap making? I wouldn't say totally... the science is interesting to me, but not the driving force.
Did you buy all special equipment specifically for making soap that is kept completely separate from all other similar equipment? This is a repeat of your second question - same answer.
Do you have a separate room or even a separate building for making soap? My craft room is also my home office.
Do you make your living making and selling soap? No, quite the reverse - I have to keep working to fund my soaping habit. ;)

This is will be a fun survey it gives us an opportunity to get to know each other:

My passion for soaping is Pure Joy.

Most of my Soaping supplies are for "soaping only" except "Glassware" can be inner changeable, measuring cup' glass beaker & such.

I make soap in my dinning room' Hubby built a cabinet upper & lower along one wall' thats where the magic happens. I mix my lye in the garage never in the home. we usually have a north wind breeze it's perfect for ventilation.

Yes' Yes' Yes: logging is key to soaping. I'm starting on Binder #2 / soap calc recipes & notes:

Most of my gifts that I give out is "soap".

Yes I've sold bars of soap, It's a wonderful feeling to give soap away then they ask to buy your soap.

Logging is important' when I make a label for my soap' I'll go back to Soap Calc recipe & staple the label to it. This helps me ID my soap faster when I need to reference something.

I'm totally into the chemistry of soaping' as well as the creative part' they both go hand in Hand.

Last but not least I'd like to sale enought soap to support my love for soaping. Maybe a little soap shop to sale my soap.

Happy Soaping
Peachy Clean Soap's 🍑

Last edited:
---> It started out as a 'hobby', but it's my business; currently part-time.

---> Yes and no. I'm fine with melting oils and butters in the same pot I cook spaghetti in, but once Sodium Hydroxide comes into play, it becomes part of my soaping equipment.

---> Yes. Eventually I will move out to the garage once the price of lumber goes down.

Do you like to try things and see how it turns out? Maybe you keep some sort of log of what you've tried -- maybe you don't.
---> When I first started making soap, I would print out the recipe and make notes as I went along and then the sheets would go into a 3-ring binder. Once I started Master Batching, I started using SoapMaker 3. With that said, whenever I test a new colorant, scent or additive, I print out my recipe and make notes.

---> Too often

---> Yes, it's a business

Do you keep a careful log of everything you've tried with pictures of and notes about the final product?
---> See $4 above

---> Yes and no.

Did you buy all special equipment specifically for making soap that is kept completely separate from all other similar equipment?
---> Yes and no to the first part, yes to the second. While the majority of my molds are for soap making, I have molds that can be used for candy making or baking. I use a lot of stuff bought from the kitchen aisle at the local Dollar Store...obviously not marketed for 'soap making'. I started out cutting my soap with a cheese slicer that I modified. All my soap making 'equipment' is currently kept in my soap cart...aka Rolling Kitchen Cart.

---> Working on it. Was supposed to have converted half of that garage last summer, but a pesky global pandemic put the kabash on that. Was going to do it this year, but now the issue is the cost of lumber. We'll have to see how it goes...I have some ideas that might work, but if I have to wait another year, then I'll have to wait. As along as I have a place to cure and store my soaps, it'll be okay.

With that said, if I had the room, I'd buy a travel trailer or 5th Wheel and convert it to a soap studio.

---> Not yet. I'll be 60 this year and plan to either go part-time at my job or just retire and make soap to supplement my retirement.

I'm serious about it - but i still use my kitchen so have to fit in around meal prep. I am allowed (!) one cupboard for my soap bowls/jugs spatulas and stickblender. I do have a craft room though (bedroom number 4) - where I do my other crafts, and there are big shelves in there for curing/storing soap and soap making equipment.
Whilst I find the chemistry side of it very interesting, and necessary, it's the artistry that lures me more. Having said that, I have found that too much artistry (as in something really complicated) can be time consuming and sometimes wasteful if i don't produce a product that is still saleable.
I keep full records of everything I make, although not with photos and notes over time ( 1 year, two years for the same bar etc). Just full enough for me to reproduce and not use naughty FOs again.
I make enough money to supplement my spending money but I could never make enough to replace my day job - otherwise I'd be there doin' it in a flash!

Very interesting. Thank you.

Is it just something you do for fun sometimes? sometimes just for fun, yes.

Do you just use pots, pans, and utensils you already owned and use for cooking? I started out that way, but now it is mostly dedicated equipment.

Do you make your soap in your kitchen? Yes, but I am in the midst of changing that to my craft room now that I have a craft table.

Do you like to try things and see how it turns out? Maybe you keep some sort of log of what you've tried -- maybe you don't. Yes, I like to try things. I've gotten better about logging my soap recipes. Body butters, lotion bars, and shampoo bars, not so much, since I don't have a program for it.

Do you make soap to give away as gifts? Well, I give it away as gifts because I make so much soap! :D But yes, if I know someone likes receiving my soap as a gift, or asks me to make it as as a gift they can give to someone, I love doing that.

Have you sold a few bar here and there? Yes, mostly for cost of ingredients, although I'm in the midst of putting together something more formal.

Do you keep a careful log of everything you've tried with pictures of and notes about the final product? I'm getting better about putting notes into SMFriend once I've put the batch to bed.

Are you totally into the science and chemistry of soap making? I wouldn't say totally... the science is interesting to me, but not the driving force.

Did you buy all special equipment specifically for making soap that is kept completely separate from all other similar equipment? This is a repeat of your second question - same answer.

Do you have a separate room or even a separate building for making soap? My craft room is also my home office.

Do you make your living making and selling soap? No, quite the reverse - I have to keep working to fund my soaping habit. ;)

It's interesting to see that people are at different places regarding making soap, but enjoy it just the same.

This is will be a fun survey it gives us an opportunity to get to know each other:

My passion for soaping is Pure Joy.

Most of my Soaping supplies are for "soaping only" except "Glassware" can be inner changeable, measuring cup' glass beaker & such.

I make soap in my dinning room' Hubby built a cabinet upper & lower along one wall' thats where the magic happens. I mix my lye in the garage never in the home. we usually have a north wind breeze it's perfect for ventilation.

Yes' Yes' Yes: logging is key to soaping. I'm starting on Binder #2 / soap calc recipes & notes:

Most of my gifts that I give out is "soap"

Yes I've sold bars of soap, It's a wonderful feeling to give soap away then they ask to buy your soap.

Logging is important' when I make a label for my soap' I'll go back to Soap Calc recipe & staple the label to it. This helps me ID my soap faster when I need to reference something.

I'm totally into the chemistry of soaping' as well as the creative part' they both go hand in Hand.

Last but not least I'd like to sale enought soap to support my love for soaping. Maybe a little soap shop to sale my soap.

Happy Soaping
Peachy Clean Soap's 🍑

I mix my lye right on top of the glass cooktop. Never even thought about doing it any place else.

I mix my lye right on top of the glass cooktop. Never even thought about doing it any place else.
Likewise - no trouble with mixing it inside under the stove vent hood. The one time I mixed it outside with a friend who was terrified of the fumes, we both ended up with no-see-ums in our lye solution containers. I'd rather not have to strain bugs out of a hot and caustic solution, so inside works better for me. :)

---> It started out as a 'hobby', but it's my business; currently part-time.

---> Yes and no. I'm fine with melting oils and butters in the same pot I cook spaghetti in, but once Sodium Hydroxide comes into play, it becomes part of my soaping equipment.

---> Yes. Eventually I will move out to the garage once the price of lumber goes down.

---> When I first started making soap, I would print out the recipe and make notes as I went along and then the sheets would go into a 3-ring binder. Once I started Master Batching, I started using SoapMaker 3. With that said, whenever I test a new colorant, scent or additive, I print out my recipe and make notes.

---> Too often

---> Yes, it's a business

---> See $4 above

---> Yes and no.

---> Yes and no to the first part, yes to the second. While the majority of my molds are for soap making, I have molds that can be used for candy making or baking. I use a lot of stuff bought from the kitchen aisle at the local Dollar Store...obviously not marketed for 'soap making'. I started out cutting my soap with a cheese slicer that I modified. All my soap making 'equipment' is currently kept in my soap cart...aka Rolling Kitchen Cart.

---> Working on it. Was supposed to have converted half of that garage last summer, but a pesky global pandemic put the kabash on that. Was going to do it this year, but now the issue is the cost of lumber. We'll have to see how it goes...I have some ideas that might work, but if I have to wait another year, then I'll have to wait. As along as I have a place to cure and store my soaps, it'll be okay.

With that said, if I had the room, I'd buy a travel trailer or 5th Wheel and convert it to a soap studio.

---> Not yet. I'll be 60 this year and plan to either go part-time at my job or just retire and make soap to supplement my retirement.

Another very interesting response. I had sort of braced myself, expecting everyone to say they were all totally serious about soaping. And it's interesting to see how each person is happily in their own place and enjoying making soap to their own satisfaction.

I started making my own soap because I really abhor small bars of soap -- and all the bars at the store are small. I also do not like colors and "flavors" in soap. I only bought Ivory.

The only thing I bought specifically for making soap is my stick blender -- because I didn't already have one. Everything I read said you could make soap without one, but that you wouldn't like it. The stick blender sleeps in the kitchen drawer with other utensils. Otherwise, I just use stuff I already had.

Oh, I also bought a digital scale -- but it measured in 2 g increments -- which didn't allow for very precise measurements. Just bought a â…’ gram scale -- much better -- especially when trying new recipes and only making one bar at a time.

I already had a laser thermometer -- which I use when making yoghurt.

I've given some soap away (mostly to my children) and even sold a few bars. Definitely not going into business making and selling soap.

Not so good about making notes but I do keep my recipes.

I find chemistry fascinating and have a bit of an understanding of what's going on with soap, but not much. I know it turns into salt -- which I think is really cool. Who would have guessed that soap is actually a salt.

I do all of it in the kitchen -- including mixing the lye right on top of my glass cook top. I used to measure the lye on my dinning room table. Spilled a few grains and didn't think anything about it. The next day, they had eaten holes through the finish. No big deal, really -- just some dark spots.

I enjoy what I do and I probably need to give a bunch of it away -- I'll never use all that I've already made.

My responses. I started making soap in February this year and have made 5 x 500g batches so far, each a progressively different recipe as I try to find 3 or 4 that I am happy with. Still a couple more moves to make.

Is it just something you do for fun sometimes? Yes, but also trying to do the environmental bit. I also have access to quantities of free olive oil and I have my own bees for honey and beeswax.
Do you just use pots, pans, and utensils you already owned and use for cooking? No, everything I read before I started advised separate stuff. I don’t have much as I am very small time, but it is all just for my soap
Do you make your soap in your kitchen? yes
Do you like to try things and see how it turns out? Maybe you keep some sort of log of what you've tried -- maybe you don't. I am trying out at the moment because it is a new hobby, but eventually I expect to settle into just 3 or 4 preferred recipes, as with my jam, with perhaps the odd try of something different occasionally. I keep a ring folder with each soap calc recipe printed out and my notes, date made, unmoulded, cut, comments generally....
Do you make soap to give away as gifts? yes
Have you sold a few bar here and there? No and no intention of doing that.
Do you keep a careful log of everything you've tried with pictures of and notes about the final product? As above. Not done pictures as all my first batches are just bars of soap! Probably won’t ever as unlikely to get into the artistic patterns and colouring
Are you totally into the science and chemistry of soap making? Absolutely not! Completely beyond me! I read what you all say, use soap calc and record what I might change when I have actually used it
Did you buy all special equipment specifically for making soap that is kept completely separate from all other similar equipment? It wasn’t special, just separate
Do you have a separate room or even a separate building for making soap? Just my kitchen. Currently storing soap in a spare bedroom, which makes the room smell nice. All the soap making bits are on a small trolley/unit affair which husband is going to put on wheels for me so that I can wheel it from spare bedroom to kitchen (or out of spare bedroom if it is needed for guests)
Do you make your living making and selling soap? No

@J-Soaper
Is it just something you do for fun sometimes? ~ For me, making soap is a hobby that I really enjoy. It started out as something to try, sort of on a lark after thinking I'd like to try this. As I continued to explore, I found that making soap is educational, utilizes old and new skills, appeals to my sense of adventure, can be done as a solitary activity or in the company of others, and that my family and friends support, encourage and also benefit, plus it is a creative and artistic endeavor, which can be very satisfying and fill a need for artistic expression. I benefit in a variety of ways. In fact my Occupational Therapist has deemed making soap is important therapy for the rehab of my thumb after recent surgery, therefore it is beneficial to me on many levels.

Of course, frequency of soap making is dependent on a variety of circumstances (surgery on my dominant hand, for example).

Do you make your soap in your kitchen? ~ Yes, unless I am traveling, then I make soap where ever is handy.

Do you have a separate room or even a separate building for making soap? ~ I plan to one day, and do have specific plans, however am in no hurry. There are so many other thing to do with my time than remodel. I do not cure my soap in my kitchen, of course. Curing occurs in a spare room upstairs that also has a ceiling fan to improve ventilation. I also store some extra equipment in that room as well.

Did you buy all special equipment specifically for making soap that is kept completely separate from all other similar equipment? ~ Yes, I have a worktable dedicated to soap making & my most often used soap making equipment lives there. As a point of interest, I tend to look for things that can be used for soapmaking in a variety of places, like second-hand shops in order to save a buck. I also use and re-use whatever works (like cardboard boxes, plastic wrap, even paper towels) to reduce waste and reduce costs. Although I will buy spendy items, I won't pass up a bargain or free item if it will serve my purpose. I am a bargain hunter by nature, although am known to buy the spendy item now and again. I probably have far too much equipment for a hobbyist, because I do tend to go overboard when it comes to the things I enjoy.

Do you just use pots, pans, and utensils you already owned and use for cooking? ~ Generally no, although when I started out I did use the SB (stick blender) that I already had, but never do I use the same SB for food. As a retired nurse (and also as a certified Food Sanitation & Safety Manager - we used to own a restaurant as well), my training has instilled in me to guard against cross-contamination of foods. I have since bought another for food use only and also have a spare for soap for when I travel. I have a soap making travel bag in which I keep a few essentials that I can take (like a Go-Bag) on a moment's notice when I take to the road. The only item I feel safe using for food after using for soap making is a stainless steel mixing bowl which I brought with me to San Antonio when I was living in a tiny house with my granddaughter and space was limited.

Do you make soap to give away as gifts? ~ Often. I also donate to local charities.

~ No, I do not sell, and doubt I will as I don't want to run a business.

Do you make your living making and selling soap? ~ No, I've been in business before. Don't want to do it again. I am retired, travel a lot, and as I said, don't wish to be tied down to a business.

Do you like to try things and see how it turns out? ~ Obviously.

~ Yes, I am now on my 3rd note book for my soap making journey, plus one for a specific experiment. I also keep records on my computer of some of my formulas and loads of photos, although I did not start taking photos of my soaps until into my second year of soapmaking.

Are you totally into the science and chemistry of soap making? ~ Totally? Perhaps not totally, but generally I tend to be interested in the scientific side of things including Soap making. I have attended lectures/talks/presentations by Kevin Dunn and do have a signed copy of his book, which I refer to now and again: Scientific Soapmaking: the Chemistry of the Cold Process.

I mix my lye right on top of the glass cooktop. Never even thought about doing it any place else. ~ I have always mixed my lye solution in my kitchen sink (except when I travel, where I still mix it in or adjacent to a sink.) My mother taught me lye safety when I was a teen, so I have not had that extreme fear of it that some newbies talk about when they first come to SMF, but am aware of the inherent dangers it presents. So I prefer to mix in a sink to contain any possible spills or roiling over of lye solutions made with sugar &/or alcohol containing ingredients (like Kombucha tea or Beer, for example.) Also an ice bath is easier to contain in a sink than elsewhere, in my experience. Also, the height & depth of my kitchen sink in comparison to my standing height is most comfortable for mixing lye.

I do master-batch my lye, so I don't have to mix it every time I make a batch of soap. Sometimes I will masterbatch oils for a minimal number of batches (like enough for 2 or 3 batches of soap at a time.)

Questions not asked or comments not made:
Do you teach soap making or any aspect of educating others in your soap making? ~ Yes, education is an inherent part of sharing a skill with ones family, but also the public, as many here have mentioned time and again in this forum. But specifically, I have made soap with both a granddaughter and grandson in the past and specifically have taught my granddaughter to make lye soap. We have created soaps together where she utilized her exceptional artistic talents for a design concept that we then applied to create a work of artistic soap creation. We also attended a two-day soap making workshop in 2019 once she was 17 and it was allowed by her parents & the organizers.

Did you you learn soap making on your own, or did you take a class? ~ Both. First I taught myself, then I took a couple of classes.

Did soap making provide you with a wider range of social contacts or network? ~ Yes. First Face-to-face, then online.

Did a family member teach you to make soap? ~ No, which is why I find it so important to me to pass on this knowledge and skill to my granddaughter. Even if she never makes soap to the extent that I do, I know she can because I have taught her and she has enjoyed the process of learning as well as the making. I believe sharing & teaching skills to our children and our children's children to be a form of honoring our children as well as preparing them for the future, especially those skills lost to generations for whatever reason (progress, cheaper, even snobbery).

Is it just something you do for fun sometimes?I enjoy doing it.
Do you just use pots, pans, and utensils you already owned and use for cooking? I have separate utensils and in fact separate blender as well.
Do you make your soap in your kitchen?, Yes, as of now. I make soaps when everyone one is asleep in the night. Cant take the chance with Lye especially when my little ones are around.
Do you like to try things and see how it turns out? Maybe you keep some sort of log of what you've tried -- maybe you don't. Yes, I keep a log, am bad at clicking pictures though.
Do you make soap to give away as gifts? I do, I do
Have you sold a few bar here and there? yes, at reasonable price that too one someone insists
Are you totally into the science and chemistry of soap making? Not at all.
Did you buy all special equipment specifically for making soap that is kept completely separate from all other similar equipment? Yes
Do you have a separate room or even a separate building for making soap? Kitchen
Do you make your living making and selling soap? One day I would definitely love to do it

Is it just something you do for fun sometimes? Yes, always because I enjoy but also because I sell.

Do you just use pots, pans, and utensils you already owned and use for cooking? All plastic, silicone dedicated to soaping, all stainless multiuse.

Do you make your soap in your kitchen? Yes

I am always impressed with new techniques and ideas I read or hear about and try many of them.

Do you make soap to give away as gifts? Yes, it is my automatic small gift.

I will sell at three 3-day fairs this fall plus have a Xmas open house for my customers.

Yes; I am a retired accountant. I couldn't do without records. I keep a word file on each new soap with comments on the process but also colorants, fragrance amounts so that I can repeat the soap or make notes on improving. I take photos but primarily so I can look back at prior year designs or when asked about a certain soap. I keep spreadsheet records of inventory, costs, what I make and the recipe.

Are you totally into the science and chemistry of soap making? Not really; my background made me comfortable with learning the process.

Did you buy all special equipment specifically for making soap that is kept completely separate from all other similar equipment? No; wish I did; one part of the pantry for oils, soaps curing in the laundry room.

Do you have a separate room or even a separate building for making soap? No

Do you make your living making and selling soap? Definitely not. My selling started as a way to be busy in retirement without a financial goal. Today, I want the profit to pay for a couple of nice vacations each year. I started soap making when the person I purchased from offered to teach me. That led to a class and I learned a lot from the other women in the class and their approach and goals. I found the soap making process fairly straightforward and easy for me. I found the artistic part of soap designs and fragrance selections challenging yet that is what keeps it fresh and enjoyable. I had never sold anything before and I have loved the interaction with people at fairs. I have been selling at 3-5 multi-day fairs since 2006 and assumed I would do it for 2-3 years. Today, I know I will quit only when I can't physically set up the booth.

Another very interesting response. I had sort of braced myself, expecting everyone to say they were all totally serious about soaping. And it's interesting to see how each person is happily in their own place and enjoying making soap to their own satisfaction.

While I am serious about the business end of soap making since I intend to at least supplement my retirement income with it, I wouldn't be doing it if I didn't enjoy it. I enjoy the process of making soap...of taking oils, butters and lye and making something totally different. Of taking it out of the mold, slicing it into bars...the way my garage smells as it cures. There is a lot of satisfaction in making a good quality soap that others enjoy...and are willing to pay me unreasonable amounts of money for LOL. Like my BI; the first time I made him a loaf of Chocolate Espresso, he asked how much he owed me. I told him $5.00 to cover the cost of the FO. He tried to pay me $40, we settled on $20. He let me know last week that he was down to his last two bars.

Yes, when my chronic illness lets me.
Only for oils - I have separate things once lye is involved.
Yes
Do you like to try things and see how it turns out?
Yep
Maybe you keep some sort of log of what you've tried -- maybe you don't.
I have a folder with recipe print-outs, and write observations on each batch I make.
Yes, and for home use
No, that's not legal here in the UK without a full assessment. I'm sure plenty of folks do sell a bit to friends and family anyway, to cover costs a bit.
No, I really should take better notes. I don't make enough to get batches mixed up really.
I find it fascinating, but at a certain point it goes over my head.
As above - I bought separate items for anything that lye will touch.
No
No, I think that would be very hard to do here in the UK, those assessments are expensive! You'd have to make loads of soap, then find places to sell all of it just to break even. Prices would need to be much higher than the stuff in the shops, even the higher end, real soap stuff.

Yes, when my chronic illness lets me.
Only for oils - I have separate things once lye is involved.
Yes
Do you like to try things and see how it turns out?
Yep
Maybe you keep some sort of log of what you've tried -- maybe you don't.
I have a folder with recipe print-outs, and write observations on each batch I make.
Yes, and for home use
No, that's not legal here in the UK without a full assessment. I'm sure plenty of folks do sell a bit to friends and family anyway, to cover costs a bit.
No, I really should take better notes. I don't make enough to get batches mixed up really.
I find it fascinating, but at a certain point it goes over my head.
As above - I bought separate items for anything that lye will touch.
No
No, I think that would be very hard to do here in the UK, those assessments are expensive! You'd have to make loads of soap, then find places to sell all of it just to break even. Prices would need to be much higher than the stuff in the shops, even the higher end, real soap stuff.
Take good care of yourself

Is it just something you do for fun sometimes? for fun and if I am running out of soap (meaning I no longer have soap that is cured at least 2 months and that hasn't happened in a long, long time) Or if someone here has gotten my interest up with a discussion or test on some soap or another. I started using Rice Bran Oil and lard due to various posts here and found I love that combination far better than I did any of the olive oil soaps I made.
Do you just use pots, pans, and utensils you already owned and use for cooking? I did when I made my first couple of batches and then slowly got tools and containers that are just used for soaping
Do you make your soap in your kitchen? Yes
Do you like to try things and see how it turns out? Maybe you keep some sort of log of what you've tried -- maybe you don't. I started soaping as every bar of soap I bought was horrible on my aging skin and a friend gave me a bar she made. I haven't used commercial soap since then. I keep the soap calc sheets for every batch I make, notes on the back of the sheets to start with and then after a few months I find I make less and less notes. It seems to be too much like a job rather than a hobby. Occasionally I will try something new and want the notes, but my "follow through" is very lax.
Do you make soap to give away as gifts? I soap for family and have one friend who loves my soap and she always gives me a little money for the bars I give her. I have also taught both daughters to soap, although I know that they will not make soap until I am unable to do it any longer. Have also made soap with friends as they wanted to see the process. I love passing on my knowledge of soapmaking and recommend this forum to all.
Have you sold a few bar here and there? See above
Do you keep a careful log of everything you've tried with pictures of and notes about the final product? I try but it's too much like work and I don't want to turn my hobby into work
Are you totally into the science and chemistry of soap making? I'm intrigued with the science but will let someone else figure it all out and then I'll read about it.
Did you buy all special equipment specifically for making soap that is kept completely separate from all other similar equipment? See above. Much easier to have one small tote that has everything I need for equipment rather than go around the kitchen and collect what I need from various cupboards or drawers. And I feel it is safer.
Do you have a separate room or even a separate building for making soap? No, I soap in the kitchen...prepare the lye mixture in my stainless sink, my oils stay in the garage in the cooler months and inside my craft room for the summer months. I usually try to use most of them up before summer so I don't have to find a new place to store them.
Do you make your living making and selling soap? No and I never will. One, I am hitting 80 in a few months, so definitely don't want a business, and Two, I have tried before in my earlier years to turn a hobby into a business. And hated it. I want to continue to enjoy all the aspects of making soap (or quilting, my other hobby). I'd rather gift my soap/quilts than try to make a business out of them and learn to hate them.

Last edited:
Is it just something you do for fun sometimes? I enjoy making soap with all the possibilities available
Do you just use pots, pans, and utensils you already owned and use for cooking? I went to the dollar store and grabbed a few things as I was not comfortable using lye in my cooking pots.
Do you make your soap in your kitchen? yes
Do you like to try things and see how it turns out? Maybe you keep some sort of log of what you've tried -- maybe you don't. I like to try new combinations to see what might work well. I do keep notes on each batch.
Do you make soap to give away as gifts? I do give my soap as gifts to my family.
Have you sold a few bar here and there? No. I do not have a recipe that I would be comfortable selling yet and I am not set up to sell anything.
Do you keep a careful log of everything you've tried with pictures of and notes about the final product? I keep notes. I would like to go back and add pictures of the batches too.
Are you totally into the science and chemistry of soap making? I am interested in the science and chemistry. I do find it fascinating. However, I love the artistry of it too.
Do you have a separate room or even a separate building for making soap? I use my sewing room/home office to store my equipment and to cure my soaps
Do you make your living making and selling soap? No, in the future I would like to sell my soap but that would be once I have some really good recipes and actually get set up as a business. This is a lot of work and I am not at that point to do this.

Is it just something you do for fun sometimes? Yes, and unfortunately I have so much soap I have had to slow the production and I miss making a couple of batches a week.

Do you just use pots, pans, and utensils you already owned and use for cooking? No, I confiscated a stainless pan for a double boiler but everything else I bought for soap making.

Do you make your soap in your kitchen? No, I have a workspace in the basement set up with a lot of shelving and an oven for CPOP, a fridge for oil storage and a sink for clean-up.

Do you like to try things and see how it turns out? Maybe you keep some sort of log of what you've tried -- maybe you don't. I love trying new things but it has resulted in some fugly soap along the way. I have a binder that contains a details on every batch and formula on each batch I make. I have all my recipes and notes in plastic pages and FO notes.

Do you make soap to give away as gifts? To anyone who will take it!!!!

Have you sold a few bar here and there? Only twice to a guy at work!

Do you keep a careful log of everything you've tried with pictures of and notes about the final product? Notes yes, pictures no.

Are you totally into the science and chemistry of soap making? Yes, the more I learn the less I know.

Did you buy all special equipment specifically for making soap that is kept completely separate from all other similar equipment? Yes, I do overlap a bit when I make scrubs and body butters.

Do you have a separate room or even a separate building for making soap? Yes

Do you make your living making and selling soap? Oh how I wish I could quit the day job and sell soap for a living.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back