How often do you soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pepper

Reaction score
As I only soap for family and friends, I don't NEED to soap often. But I do love to soap, and lately I've been thinking I haven't done much this year. BUT, when I checked my soap diary, I found I'd averaged 1 CP batch per week, as well as 4 rebatches, 2 laundry soaps, and 5 M&P. Then why do I feel unfullfilled? Am I addicted to soaping? How often do other "just for friends and family" soapers soap?

Well for me depends some weeks i make 2-3 batches other times none for month or so. Some days though I just need take deep breathe and release stress with abat h of soap.

I'm still very new in soap making and I live in hostel where there is only 1 kitchen for the whole floor ( 18 rooms, 4 ppl per each), so I have the chance to do only 1 batch a week. But I actually try my best to soap as much as I can because I need to experiment. Plus I love soaping :">

Most weekends I make one batch ... but where possible I make two.

I work, which means my weekends are very special. I love to soap, but I also have my vegie garden to attend to, friends to keep in contact with, shopping to do, emails to catch up with ... etc etc etc. Plus for the ease of my week, I try to do some cooking at the weekends, so I have a couple of pre made meals for the week ahead.

Last weekend I made one batch and divide it into four containers so I could colour it different shades. Then the next day I spent quite some time rolling these into balls! There just wasn't any time to make 'real' soap ... which was frustrating!

When I started out, I was totally gung-ho for it. I made just a ton of soap. A few batches a week usually. After about a year, it has become such an expense... and I have SO MUCH SOAP that it's just crazy. (and I'm proud to say most of it is just exquisite to use! though some are ugly. haha.) So even though I want to make soap (...every day...) I can't... for the sake of eating food and paying rent. LOL.

For instance I have only made one 2 lb batch of soap this month. Sniffle.

I have also cut back drastically on my lotion production. (A person can only be so moisturized.)

It hurts.
But this is definitely a hobby that I am sticking with. I learn something new just about every batch I make, even though it feels like I've been soaping a long time!

If I didn't work, I'd soap almost every day, I think. As it is I usually soap 2 batches on Saturday, none on Sunday (I have to take time to do all the other stuff I love, too - and spend time with my hubby and friends and family). Lately, though, I've been getting into other bath and body products too (I never thought I would, but I'm suddenly becoming addicted to making things with ingredients that I can barely pronounce). :lol: That has taken over my weekends for now, but I'll soap again soon, no doubt.

I only soap for family and friends and probably average a 2 lb batch every 2 or 3 weeks. I may go on a soaping frenzy and make 3 or 4 batches in one week and then not make any for a month or little longer. If I am not making soap, I am making lotion or whipped butters, lip balms, bath bombs, or my newest venture has been the syndet shampoo bars. I make something weekly whether it is soap or other B/B product.

I soap about 2x a week. I sell some at markets here but mostly my friends buy it. I make about 6lbs a week. Im still really new to soaping so am trying new recipes and combinations all the time. It sure gets expensive!

I make about 2 batches a week on average, when DH goes to Hawaii I might do it daily ;)

I'm so addicted its frightening. I usually make no more than 2 batches a day, but I can do this 3-4 times a week depending of what ingredients i have.

I recieved a shipment of FO yesterday and couldnt wait to soap after waiting patiently for a week. then went to soap yesterday and I had only enough lye for 1 batch :cry: I think once the lye arrives I'll go crazy in the kitchen.

Its just that I have all these ideas, and I want to try things out, and I love experimenting......I even dream about it!! A bit sad really :?

I was working 60 -70hrs per week, but have left that job to work from home. I never would have had the opportunity to even attempt this if I was still working.

I just wish xmas would hurry up so I can give more of these soaps away

I usually make a batch or two every weekend, skipping a weekend every now and again. I have over 200 bars of soap and I'm just a hobby soaper but I love to make it so I keep on.

I work 3 / 12 hour shifts, so I have 4 days a week off. One weekday I usually am home alone and soap, so no one can say it stinks. I currently have 230 bars of soap in the house, so I told myself not to make anymore until I give some away. So all my sisters, sisters in law, some friends, and neices will probably be getting soap this month. I have a big special package that I am putting together for my mom for May. I just started making lotion also, but can't see that getting as obsessive as soapmaking. Spring is almost here so time to garden, and then of course there is the housework, yard work, 3 dogs to brush. and all the half finished quilts sitting in my sewing room. Soaping has just kind of taken over, so maybe it is time to cool it a little, I doubt if I will be able to hold out long though. I am some kind of soap junkie.

Unfortunately, foresthome, it happens to us all. This is the most addictive hobby I've ever had, and I've been "hobbying" for many decades!

If I didn't have to work I would soap much more often (so it's probably a good thing I must work) LOL, but as it is I've pretty much just got the weekend to soap. I sometimes make a batch or two through the week in the evening after I get home, but not very often.

Wow you all make me feel so "normal"!! I soap on Wednesdays when both kids are at school or on the weekends. I usually soap twice a month and do 3 batches per month. I just found out my mom was savoring her soap and not using it everyday so I gave her 2 more bars this weekend so maybe I can start soaping more and not get a huge stockpile.

Latest posts

Back