How much fits in my pot?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjuconnfan

Reaction score
Help. Please...first time here...have an old crockpot. It is maybe 3 qt. Will measure but I need to know how much oil etc to put in ..don’t want overflow. I am guessing I need to make no more than 2 qt by volume. I have no idea how to adjust the recipes so they fit. I know to weigh things but that makes it more confusing... I will be getting a bigger pot eventually...or will have 2 going at once. How many average bars will be made with a pot this size? Thank you in advance!

Indeed. If making cp, it can be the case that a slow cooker is too big - it's best to start off with smaller batches, and sometimes it's hard to get the stick blender properly submerged.

Tell us more about what you are planning and the reasoning behind it (for example, you might not really need a slow cooker at all) and people can give you better feedback

Thank you for the helpful responses. I am wanting to make one each , cold and hot processed to see how they work since I am new. I need/want to make charcoal soap as I have had a very difficult to heal psoriasis or eczema rash that no meds are helping. I had tried charcoal soap from a vendor and it seemed to calm it down but not heal it; any port in the storm it seems to keep it calm. Open to suggestions of other ingredients. O

Overall I have always loved homemade soap and always wanted to make my own so I can control ingredients and have it as needed. Just retired so I have time to play and learn.

I also just want to make some natural soaps with oatmeal, and perhaps clays eventually.
For now I am just learning the basics and won't sell it; I might gift some. I do some other crafts for sale so adding soap might be fun.
Very thankful for this site and helpful people here who are patient and kind with newbies!

The slow cooker is rather deep so that might be an issue.......it is 3.5 qts, and old one. I checked it with water and on low it gets to about 85 degrees but on high it got very hot 190 degrees, so maybe not good at all! I could use a double boiler as I saw that on youtube videos.
Appreciate any and all suggestions and feedback.

Your slow cooker will be fine.

Here's how I do it.

1 ounces volume = 1 ounces weight for water and oil. This is not perfect and it is not good enough to calculate the recipe itself (use a lye calculator and a scale) but it fine to calculate the volume of your mold.

Soap batter is 1/3 water and 2/3 oil.

3 quarts = 96 ounces.

You don't want to fill it to the top. I recommend no more than 1/2 full. In your case, that = 48 oz.

So that would be a recipe with 16 oz water and 32 oz oils. You can go to a lye calculator and plug in 32, and then plug in your percentages of oils, and it will give you weights.

Here's how I do it.

1 ounces volume = 1 ounces weight for water and oil. This is not perfect and it is not good enough to calculate the recipe itself (use a lye calculator and a scale) but it fine to calculate the volume of your mold.

3 quarts = 96 ounces.

You don't want to fill it to the top. I recommend no more than 1/2 full. In your case, that = 48 oz.

So that would be a recipe with 16 oz water and 32 oz oils. You can go to a lye calculator and plug in 32, and then plug in your percentages of oils, and it will give you weights.

Thank you so much! This is what I needed. Some day it will all make sense for me! Yes I will use the calculator..happy to be on my way to learning this.

Here's how I do it.

3 quarts = 96 ounces.

May I ask how many molds I need..or what size for the 32 ounces oil and 1/3 cup water? Does that make 2 lbs of soap?

I bought one white plastic type loaf with screws on it. I have to measure it but it looks to be 10 or 12" long . Got it in craft store. Kind of expensive but I wanted something to get started.......waiting to make some molds or to learn more before I order online.

Thank you very much.

Imperial Calculation (inches and ounces)
(Mold L x W x H) x .4 = ounces of oil

Metric (centimeters and grams)
(Mold L x W x H) x .70 = grams of oil

You don't want to fill your mold up to the tip-top, so reduce the height by .5”.

Where did you get the mold? If it's from a chain hobby store (Michael's, Hobby Lobby etc) they probably have it on their website. You could post a link to it. It probably says the volume in description.

Imperial Calculation (inches and ounces)

(Mold L x W x H) x .4 = ounces of oil

Metric (centimeters and grams)

(Mold L x W x H) x .70 = grams of oil

You don't want to fill your mold up to the tip-top, so reduce the height by .5”.

Awesome. Going out to buy my stick blender scale and thermometer now. I think I will be set to start this weekend.........except can not find charcoal or clays locally. Have to wait for them but I will make a basic batch just to try it.

Where do you live? You may be able to find charcoal and clays at a health food store. Look for charcoal capsules with the vitamins. NOW brand has several clays.

I thought I had to have a lot more to make soap..more than in capsules. Wow. I guess I am not thinking in ounces or grams correctly. I am sure I will get a better idea of size once I do this..but would a few capsules work for a batch? I thought I needed a half cup or something! LOL . Great suggestion though so I will look. Not many good stores around here. Small town.

You don't need much charcoal. Keep in mind that if you make your whole batch BLACK, you are going to end up with dark gray suds and people generally don't want that. A good starting point for colors is 1 tsp PPO (per pound of oils). If you are doing black, I would suggest a black swirl or a black layer, vs a totally black bar. Black pencil lines are really striking, but that's a slightly more advanced technique.

You don't need much charcoal. Keep in mind that if you make your whole batch BLACK, you are going to end up with dark gray suds and people generally don't want that. A good starting point for colors is 1 tsp PPO (per pound of oils). If you are doing black, I would suggest a black swirl or a black layer, vs a totally black bar. Black pencil lines are really striking, but that's a slightly more advanced technique.

Thanks again for responding. this is good to know, I don't want black suds. I realize we can not make health claims etc. But I have used charcoal soap purchased at craft vendor events and it has been calming to my rash. I have no idea what % they used..I wonder if it was just a few capsules ...... .it was a totally black bar and it did make grey suds. I was taken back at first but got over it because it cleaned off the tub well. I am watching videos and learning about all the different ways to do the bars. I might try layered first.....seems the easiest. I saw the coat hanger type of marks too and would love to try.

I only have 91% alcohol, no 99% unless I buy online. Can I spray the layers with the 91%? Any ideas what type of soap I can make to compliment charcoal? IF I want a different type on top and bottom rather than just split the batch.

By spray, do you meaning spraying MP? I think a lot of people here use the regular rubbing alcohol, which is 70%. (I may be wrong here.)

What do you mean "what type of soap"? Do you mean what type of MP? There are lots of options - shea butter, aloe, honey, etc. I'd try a honey, aloe or oatmeal to help with your skin, if that's available.

By spray, do you meaning spraying MP? I think a lot of people here use the regular rubbing alcohol, which is 70%. (I may be wrong here.)

What do you mean "what type of soap"? Do you mean what type of MP? There are lots of options - shea butter, aloe, honey, etc. I'd try a honey, aloe or oatmeal to help with your skin, if that's available.

I thought any time I make layers I have to spray to get rid of bubbles...is that only with MP? I am going to try the oatmeal and honey but not using the Melt and Pour.. even though it is tempting.

I don't do fancy MP, so I really don't know about that. But for CP, you dont' spray the layers. Some people spray the top to prevent soda ash, which has a sort of meh success rate.

Back