How much diversity is too much?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FifthCap

Reaction score
So I have my soaps and lip balms
How much other different goods would be too much?

Would including sewn crafts, handmade jewelry, jams & jellies just be too much for one booth?

Personally, I like to shop from people who concentrate on being good at one type of thing. I probably wouldn't buy jelly from a soap maker.

I think it could be an advantage, b/c a customer might want to buy more than one item and negotiate for a better price. But that many things makes me think this is a garage sale vs. a dedicated crafter.

I would if you sort of modeled yourself after our prairie woman ancestors, and reminded people that back in the day one family really would make all this stuff at home. Include info about your processes and maybe also how it was done "back in the day".

I would if you sort of modeled yourself after our prairie woman ancestors, and reminded people that back in the day one family really would make all this stuff at home. Include info about your processes and maybe also how it was done "back in the day".

I like that idea, but it needs to be shown that the crafter is expert in each craft. Normally when I see someone with odd combinations, I think ADHD, not expert. If it's marketed right, it could work.

lol I am an add crafter.

Maybe itd be a better idea to feature one type thing per visit, But leave a small corner devoted to another craft.

Like if I do soaps one week maybe I'll put a little corner near check out with the jellies for impulse buyers.

When I'm low on soap I'll do jellies as main feature with soaps as the "impulse buy area"

I haven't started making jams yet and don't plan to sell them for a very long time, But I do sew, make jewelry, and soaps/lip balms
I also bake very well and have been approved for pies and other baked goods at the local farmers market

Yeah that's very prairie person. I vote you set your booth up like ye olde general store, and wear calico!

I suggest a freshly baked pie to draw all of the people to your booth, regardless of what else you are selling.

followyournose_5733.jpg

I think you could do 3 distinct sections in one booth. Just be sure they are very distinct. Left table, back table, right table. If you only have one table, do one type of item per week.

You could keep a box of other type items under the table in case one of your regular customers needed something not on display that week. I would probably have a sign that said "Ask me about my soap(or jelly)." on the front of the table somewhere to let them know that you have some.

Latest posts

Back