How much cocoa to use to color my 10lb batch brown?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
10 lbs, that's quite a batch. I would think several teaspoons, one level tsp per pound for a medium to light brown.

I use baker's chocolate more often than cocoa, it's more concentrated. I melt it with my oils.

Hmmm I never thought of that and it probably looks smoother too. Thanks for the tip I am going to try that. I am wondering though can I use the unsweetened type as that is all I have in the pantry at the moment. ?

is it better to use coffee or chocolate? I want it to look deep brown without it making brown suds. I did that once with a mint chocolate m&p bar and it looked great but brown bubbles...lol

And this is my first time useing my large mold that I bought a few months ago. I have been waiting to get my skills up so I don't waste anything....

the sugars and milk in the cocoa (if you are using a mix) will make your soap overheat if you arent careful. i did that once.

i did a batch today that i used one and a half tbsp cocoa mix to color half my batch. it is gelling right now but when i cut it tomorrow i will try to post a pic.

So this is the chocolate coffee batch...

I ended up using the unsweetened bakers chocolate and melted it in my oils. Worked great and I used three double chunks. I also used the coffee EO and chocolate fudge and dark chocolate FO. It smelled really nice and gave a nice rich color. At the end I had some time so I added some TD to the last bit for the top to lighten it to a milk chocolate color and made it look like frosting on top. Hope it looks good when I cut it....it sure smelled good. Now I have to go out and get some real chocolate for the movie tonight.....lol

i saw it. it looks like chocolate. i really hope it turns out good for you! i cant wait to see it cut :D

I saw it, too. Looks terrific. That's quite a mold! How did you manage to get it filled without glopping by the end? I'm IMPRESSED!! I swear I can smell chocolate right through the computer. :D

I made a chocolate soap last night, and used 4 T. to a 5# (oil) batch. The color was just like dark chocolate fudge pudding.

I had made some before, and only used 2T. The color was almost the same- but the scent was mostly gone after 2 months.

brown bubbles

lioness said:
is it better to use coffee or chocolate? I want it to look deep brown without it making brown suds. I did that once with a mint chocolate m&p bar and it looked great but brown bubbles...lol

Hi, y'all! Newbie here. I was really curious to see an answer to this question - what's the best way to get the color in the soap without the brown bubbles - coffee or chocolate? Cocoa or baker's chocolate?

Well I have tried both but I must say that in using the bakers chocolate it was so easy to use as I just melted it into the solid oils while I melted them. It turned out much more smooth and I only used four double squares for this large 10lb batch. I ended up filling the log mold plus a bunch of palstic molds. I had way too much. It was my first time using this mold and I used a recipe from a book. Oh well its a learning process and now my whole room smells of lovely chocolate. I also used chocolate FO and coffee EO. When I used the cocoa I used it in some M+P to color it and I had to use so much to get the rich color. That why I got alot of brown bubbles but I just use it in the shower so its not so bad.
Anyways that what I did so......someone did post in this how much to use that how I decided.....and I haven't used it yet as its still on the curing rack.....

Latest posts

Back