How long to candle scents last?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixiedragon

Reaction score
I'm planning to gift some candles this year, and I'm wondering if now is too far in advance to start? I'm planning to store them in cardboard boxes to keep away dust and pet hair. Will they still have a good throw in December?

Based solely on browsing, I think it's a bit like soap: top notes fade, base notes stick.

The scent when burning the candle, should last througout the life of the candle, if using good quality fragrances. As with everything, you may have scents that are strong throwers, or some that are soft throwers.

If they are pillars or open containers the cold throw (scent you get when not burning the candle) could fade a bit, but when burning, the scent should be there.
I have candles that are well over 10 years old that while burning are just as strong as when I made them.

I used the scents from Walmart one time to make air fresheners. (Melty Beads, Food Coloring & Scent put in a tight lidded mason jar for atleast a week. Take it out and pour in into a metal cookie cutter on a baking sheet and baked until melted.) I made those back in 2011 and I found some that I didn't manage to sell the other day... They still had a VERY Vibrant & Prominent Scent. I opened the Ziplock Bag and the scent literally hit me in the face! Lol

I do prefer you to use candles of Good brands. As the scented candles from these brands have long lasting fragrance and can give the best of smell all time. I have bought last year from an online store a set of scented candles with huge discounts on black Friday deals. Now i am gonna buy it again for Christmas as they are offering again deals on all products in regards for Christmas.

Last edited by a moderator:
i will use their christmas shopping deals online and avail the advantage.
Thanks.gif

The scent when burning the candle, should last througout the life of the candle, if using good quality fragrances. As with everything, you may have scents that are strong throwers, or some that are soft throwers.

If they are pillars or open containers the cold throw (scent you get when not burning the candle) could fade a bit, but when burning, the scent should be there.
I have candles that are well over 10 years old that while burning are just as strong as when I made them.
i know right. I just pulled out some melts that I made 10 years ago and they are still as strong as the day I made them.

Latest posts

Back