How long in the freezer?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hermanam

Reaction score
In my ongoing battle with overheated soap, glycerin rivers, and TD woes, I decided to finally give in and try my hand (yet again!) at preventing gel. My last time resulted in a frustrating partial gel. So, I got a nice silicone mold with wire basket from ED, pre-chilled my mold, soaped cool, and stuck it in the freezer. So...how long in the freezer? And then what? Fridge or just sit out to warm back up to room temp?

I'd leave it in the freezer at least 12 hours then 12 hours in the fridge to thaw slowly. If you bring it to room temp too fast, it will sweat from condensation.

I only mine in the freezer about 3 hrs since I do not really want it to freeze then I remove it and put it in the fridge for a couple more hours. But that is just me and partial gels do not bother me.

Last edited:
I never had any problems with soap freezing solid. It does take longer to saponify and it can remain soft for a extra day or two. Both times I tried keeping it in the freezer for only a couple hours, it went into partial gel in the fridge.

No, just slows saponification. How long you freeze might also vary with which FO you used and if you used milks or sugars. Some FO's just really really want to gel and it's very difficult to prevent. I've frozen, then refrigerated and then sliced and the cut bars will try to gel as they are coming to room temp. It can be crazy. Usually 12 in the freezer then refrigeration for a few to 12 hours is fine.

I leave in the freezer for a full 24 hours to prevent partial gel completely. I've heard reports of partial gel from removing too fast, and I frequently soap with heaters like sugars. After 24, I've done both going to the fridge before counter or straight to the counter without any negative effects to my soap. I usually don't cut it until 48 hours in though because my recipes are also on the softer side. I have unmolded at 24-36 hours.

I use pretty thick PVC pipe molds. I rarely freeze them but I almost always prevent gel by soaping cool, pre-chilling the molds, and then immediately refrigerating. I leave them in the fridge for 48 hours minimum and then let them come to room temp before unmolding. This almost always works for me.

And when I say that I soap cool I mean that I pre-mix my lye in large batches and it is room temp when I add it to my oils. I melt my hard oils only until they turn clear... I don't let them get too hot. Of course it heats up pretty quickly once mixed with lye so I work fast to get it into the fridge before it gets too hot.

I never put soap in the freezer! I'm normally able to prevent gel with a good fan and air vent, unless I'm using ingredients that I know are going to heat up like milks, or honey (sugar is never a problem) then I take steps to make sure I at least get a full gel. Because sometimes you just can't prevent it, and trying will only yield ugly soaps. :p

Its the sugar in milk and honey thats the heater.

Yep!! and certain fo will mess with you too! But you've got to admit it's odd that the sugars in milk and honey heat up, but to add sugar (which I almost always do) does not cause a batch to heat up...funny ain't it?

Last edited:
Will the cure time still be the usual 4-6 weeks? Or will it take longer?

Debra - how much sugar are you adding in when it's not heating up? Also, if you never use the freezer then it's understandable that you have had issues with partial gel when trying to prevent it at times.

Hermanam - Cure time will still be the same, no worries on that front.

It is an exact science, but alas with so many variables that it is next to impossible to have a set method for all cases - moulds vary, recipes vary, even freezer temps vary! Give it a go and see how it works, bearing in mind the tips given.

On that topic, I prevented gel on my Castile by freezing - 12 hours in the freezer having frozen the moulds for a few hours before hand, soaping cool (just letting things cool down for about 20 mins from mixing the lye, OO was straight from the bottle) and then putting it in my larder which is rather cold in winter.

If you're not sure, err on the side of caution and cool for a longer rather than a shorter period of time.

Good luck!

Back